Canon 60d Versus 7d Versus anything else you think off

Discussion in 'Photography' started by sammym, Jan 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to get a DSLR. I've not really done it before. The above cameras are about my budget. That 5d iii looks nice but is too expensive.

By not done it before, I had a 50d but it was nicked by some prick from my car when I left it in liverpool. I never really got a chance to use it.

Any advice on what I should be looking at?

And I know I have to buy some lenses and a flash as well.

2. Someoe whose opinion I respect has tried the new full-frame 6D, and raved about it for any sort of photography other than sports/action. If Canon are true to form, the price will come down to about £1200 in six months or so.

I've used the 7D a bit, it's a good camera but IMO a tad on the pricey side for a cropped sensor camera. It struck me as essentially a 5dmk. ii with an inferior sensor.

You could also look at a used Nikon D700, or a used Canon 5d mk ii, superb machines, don't be misled by the lower pixel-count of the Nikon.

3. I bought a 5D after my 50D was stolen (this was a few years ago, so models have changed). I really don't think it was worth the upgrade for the amount of difference in price - photos do not appear any better, and I just don't have the time or inclination to program the 5D properly before taking some shots. All that said, I still hanker after a 1D!

Unless you are really up to speed with the custom modes I would go for the cheaper option (unless you're really loaded and cost does not matter).

Edited to add: Just read a review of the 6D, and would say that the full frame sensor would tip me in favour of it.

4. Don't automatically discount some of the cheaper DSLRs like the EOS 550D - they have similar features to the 50D and are a damn sight cheaper.

The picture quality will always be down to the lenses you choose to buy, the camera bodies are less important.

5. I'll have a look at the D700 - I had read it's meant to be comparable. I can get the 7d with a couple of basic lesnes for about £800. So it's not life changing money. I know I'll want to get some more lenses eventually, however as a starter kit it looked alright.

6. If you're going the crop-sensor route, either the Nikon D7000 or the Canon 650D are excellent bits of kit.

You'd be better off spending on high-end lenses than camera bodies with 6000 functions. If you're serious you'll be shooting RAW and using something like Lightroom to develop the shots, so most of the fancy functions are beside the point.

You could do a lot worse than the D300 or the 550D.

7. Plagiarism is beneath you....

8. As weird as this sounds I want something that feels substantial in my hand. So it has to be bigger and heavier than the cheaper models.

Also I can barrow some l-series lenses if I go with Canon, so I'd like to stick with that if possible.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I'm going to be great, but I'd rather be able to learn a lot rather than get frustrated at not being able to do stuff.

9. D300, D700, 7D, 5Dii.

10. I do quite a bit of outdoors & wildlife photography so my kit has to be light. As P_F says, I shoot in RAW and process the images when I get home so I don't need the fancy functions. The lenses are definitely where you should focus your cash!

11. So are you saying that the more expensive cameras just have more flashy functions that I can just use my macbook pro to do? I know I'm sounding like a cock here, but I'm trying to learn a bit about it all.

12. I don't have experience of either but there's an honest evaluation here of the 7D by a professional photographer who knows what he is talking about:Guy Edwardes Photography — Articles

I think the big question is what do you want to photograph, if it's primarily wildlife through long lenses then you probably want a cropped sensor with the benefit of multiplying the focal length of your lenses by 1.6, and an increased frame rate, if you want to capture landscapes then a full frame is the way ahead, or have both (50D and 5D Mk 2) like me :)

If you are just starting to look at it seriously then I think it's better to focus on your glass and get a cheaper body that you might upgrade later so the 60D with a nice L series lens or two. If you are already serious and prepared to fork out on good glass as well then you should be looking at a full frame sensor camera and now is the perfect time to get a second hand Canon 5D Mk2, the mk3 has been out nearly 6 months. There will be lots around as its normally the optimal time for those in the know to buy in once any potential new release bugs have been fixed, the Mk2 is a cracking camera the only real improvement of any worth in the Mk3 is an improved (faster) focus system, most amateurs aren't going to notice the difference. The 7d is by all accounts a great camera but I don't personally know anybody with one pro or amateur, it just doesn't seem to have a niche market!

13. Canon has started to put its higher-end sensors into its mid-range DSLRs so now the only real difference between the 50d and the 550d is the extra weight and the higher price. The added functions only appeal to beginners, once you get the hang of it you'll switch off all the extra guff and put your camera into manual because the results will be much better.

14. You'll use aperture-priority, shutter-priority and occasionally manual or bulb. The only real considerations are sensor quality (not simply the size, quality and clarity is more important), and ease of use to your own taste.

Better by far to start with a cheaper body and high-end glass, which you'll keep for decades, than spunk your cash on a flash body and put shite on the front of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ok guys - first off thanks for responding, it's a lot to take in and is making me think about stuff.

With regards to lenses, I do have a cousin who is a professional photographer, and he has offered to lend me his older l series lenses, so I don't have to worry about at the moment. The problem is he can't really advise me on what to get for a body as he has stupidly expensive stuff.

So I have to work it out for myself. The 5d ii looks great but is still a fair bit more money that I can get the 7d for. I am trying to work out if it is worth the extra cash, and if I want to spend that extra cash. All I really want is something which will be good for years, solid (I'll be wanting to take it out when mountaineering ideally) and also solid in the hand.

I would happily go for the 60d if they hadn't put that shitty little flip out screen on it.