Cannabis 'Cures' Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cannabis 'cures' epilepsy*Trending now | MSN News UK

Cannabis is now apparently the cure for everything from cancer, diarrhea, bipolar disorder and Multiple sclerosis, to an ailing economy and even being a smart aleck teenager.

The latest chronic illness to get the chill-out treatment is epilepsy.

British scientists from the University of Reading tested a compound in pot called cannabidivarin on rats and mice with six types of epilepsy, and found it "strongly suppressed seizures" without the unpleasant side effects of current anti-epilepsy drugs.

With 1 percent of the world's population suffering from the disease, the head of the research team, Ben Whalley, says there's a pressing need for better treatments. “It’s a chronic condition with no cure and currently, in around one-third of cases, the available treatments do not work, cause serious side effects and increase fatalities,” he said.

[​IMG]

2. We widely use the properties of Heroin and Cocaine in medicine, why not find out what cannabis does, take the research reigns off it.

3. Would you believe because of the impact widespread farming would make on the petrochemical industry?

• Like Like x 1
  4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

This research is really simple to analyse. Its stops epileptic fits because it kills off almost any neurological action. Same effect would be applicable if you drank a bottle of Polish vodka.

Cocaine has very limited use - in nasal surgery it numbs the septal mucosa. Thats about it.

Cocaine derivatives, such as lignocaine, do have much wider usage, but cocaine in its pure form, just in rhinology.

5. A 9mm round cures epilepsy too

6. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Sure does.

7. And makes me soooooo horny. :p

8. Don't you mean hungry.

9. My (late) missus used coke, smoke and Polish Vodka in liberal quantities, and combinations of the three made her horny as hell. She was 7 stone on a fat day, and when she was "charged up" she had the strength of an angry doorman.

Ultimately, your second sentence proved true. She died from heart failure due to a **** load of coke, and about a pint of vodka. Zero brain function by the time I made it to the hospital to see her.

10. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Haven't they linked cannabis to treatment of anorexia?

• Like Like x 1
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There was a discussion on R4's Tuesday evening 'Life Scientific' on the potential medicinal properties of LSD, magic mushrooms and ecstasy in relation to depression and things like PTSD.

The suggestion is that maybe psychotropic drugs work by shutting off the connections in the brain which would allow you to think about something without being overwhelmed by it. The problem with PTSD is that you can't work out a cure unless you work through the trauma but as soon as you think about it it overwhelms you. That's what was said - I think.

• Like Like x 1
  12. No, it makes me horny. Bigtime.

13. And ophthalmology. It's used to detect certain eye conditions such as Horner's syndrome.

14. Cocaine absolutely cures shyness, modesty and sexual inhibitions. But only for about an hour.

15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have Homer's syndrome. Fat, bald and addicted to beer. Doh!

• Like Like x 1