Canes, sticks and whips

Following on from the controversial and risque thread on that iconic piece of 70s military wear, the JHW, I would appreciate a steer from the Mess on the rights and wrongs of carrying canes, whips or sticks in CS95. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate the thread.

Attachments

Is he wearing a choo choo train as a cap badge?

canes, sticks, whips?

No. You look like prats.

(Not that some just need a stick of course).

Granted, she isn't wearing CS95, but it was too good not to post this 'stick pic'.

Attachments

jonny3979 said:
Following on from the controversial and risque thread on that iconic piece of 70s military wear, the JHW, I would appreciate a steer from the Mess on the rights and wrongs of carrying canes, whips or sticks in CS95. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate the thread.
Ahh what a fine yeomanry cap badge and stable belt he is wearing too. However if he was wrong would anyone argue with him?

Riding crops, sticks and all that nonsense should surely be reserved only for Barrack or No 2 Dress?

They look shiete with combats but can come in handy in the bedroom when used in the right manner on the missus

Baz44

War Hero
Looks much more manly when one swaps cane for BAYONET but then I am bias :)

For the Cav Chavs its probably an accepted form of dress

Cheers

Baz44 said:

Cheers
Actually, although neither chav nor cav I do have a leather bound swagger stick. Which contains a twelve inch blade...indeed when I acquired it I was rather amused. It put all those "only armed with a swagger stick he faced down two hundred screaming fuzzies" into context.

Nice to see HRH sporting the "louping cat" on his RHD!

Why do so many ICSC(L) officers carry sticks/canes? I seem to see an inordinate number of them around Shrivenham at the moment - is this new Majors jockeying for position or what? The senior Majors & Lt Cols on ACSC don't bother, so why ICSC(L)?

It all depends on ones Regiment. Ask your Adjutant if in doubt.

Cuddles said:
Looks more like a fire truck.

Cuddles said:
Baz44 said:

Cheers
Actually, although neither chav nor cav I do have a leather bound swagger stick. Which contains a twelve inch blade...indeed when I acquired it I was rather amused. It put all those "only armed with a swagger stick he faced down two hundred screaming fuzzies" into context.

I was quite surprised when I aquired my grandfathers camel whip, from his time in the lands of the Arab, to find it had a rather nasty concealed blade in the handle.

It must have been a sign of the times!

Whips are fairly sensible and have an obvious use, but does anyone know why/when sticks or short canes became fashionable with British officers? I have never seen representations of Napoleonic officers carrying canes for example. Presumably a symbol of office and nothing more?

jonny3979 said:
Whips are fairly sensible and have an obvious use, but does anyone know why/when sticks or short canes became fashionable with British officers? I have never seen representations of Napoleonic officers carrying canes for example. Presumably a symbol of office and nothing more?
When Swords stopped being carried.

jonny3979 said:

Canes have pretty much the same use as whips do, ie to encourage your nag along a bit.

There are some pictures of them being used at RMAS in the bicentenary book IIRC in the indoor menage during riding lessons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ordinaryforces Old & Bold 49
Bravo_Bravo Seniors 9
K The Intelligence Cell 41