Candidate for Police Commissioner disqualified due to minor teenage offence 47 years.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Aug 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A Labour Councillor called Alan Charles wanted to stand for the post of police commissioner in Derbyshire but is disqualified because he committed a crime 47 years ago when he was 14.

Apparently any criminal offence that could have led to a custodial sentence is a bar to becoming a Police Commissioner. Quite right too, I hear more than a few of you saying - of course a criminal should not be a Police Commissioner but...

We live in a democracy. It should up to the voters who we choose to vote for. If we are perverse enough to want a criminal as PC then that's the way it is. As revolting as it is we have members of the IRA who are voted into parliament because that's what the punters want. It should not be up to the government to decide who we may or may not vote for.

Of course being a Labourite should be an instant disqualification from public office.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

If it's any consolation a Judge has also said that Magistrates cannot stand for election as PCC's. They have to resign from the bench.

This is Judge made law and the judge in question has been threatened with Judicial Review if he doesn't change his mind. Most, though not necessarily all of the Mags who wanted to stand were/are Tories.
  3. Though I did read the point somewhere that a conviction doesn't prohibit someone from being an MP.

So Eric Joyce could still be Home Secretary, despite assaulting police officers.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. This traunch of elections is worth watching as it heralds the "Hill Street Blues" style of policing, not neccesary a bad thing.
    But do have a look at who is standing for you, and also the panel responsible for keeping them in check as we live in interesting times!
  5. Or alternatively, here comes another lot of people obsessed with fake statistics to keep their jobs despite the reality of the streets.

We've enough of these pricks already. They're called ACPO.

Both them and this new lot are Police PONTI's, and should be treated with the respect appropriate.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The upshot of this could be large areas where the job is captured by someone with the Leftie political machine behind him leading to the total collapse of any sort of protection for the decent citizen and householder or shopkeeper.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. BuggerAll

I think that's slightly different. Holders of 'offices of profit under the crown' (if I've got the expression right) such as constables, members of the regular armed forces, civil servants cannot stand for election. They have the option of ceasing to hold such an office.

A person who is a magistrate is not barred from standing as a PC but must relinquish the magistrates job first.
  8. BuggerAll

Then, presumably, the punters won't reelect them as they will have a pretty good idea what the reality of the streets is.
  9. Criminal records are a joke in this country.

A mate of mine was a **** in his younger years, and went to prison (quite rightly, even by his own account) for assault.

In his case, prison worked brilliantly and he came out a reformed man... Only to find that because he'd been to prison, his chances of ever finding meaningful employment were absolutely zero.

Fortunately, he had enough about him to start a business and is now doing quite well, but you have to wonder how many others have become professional doleys or even gone into crime as a result.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I wasn't aware of this rule, but I don't think it would stand up under HRA. I hope the Councillor in question challenges it.
  11. as I understood it so long as it was a non custodial sentence and the conviction is spent. It would be hugely predjudicial for a mag to sit when he/she is the head of a law enforcement body at the same time. The Political parties have made a huge rod for their own backs by not insisting that MP's caught with their hands in the till, which is Fraud and therfore potentially custodial. apply for the Chiltern Hundreds with immediate effect. MP's should have been suspended and where proven, outed WEF. In terms of a criminal brush with the law- you should try to be clean in terms of reputation at selection for these posts but it is, as ever a cynical world out there.
  12. BuggerAll

They are selected by election. If we don't like the cut of their jib we shouldn't elect them. I know democracy isn't perfect but it better than any other system. The problem with suspending MPs is that they are the people elected representative. I think there should be something similar to the US 'recall' system but I don't want the state deciding who may or may not represent me and when they may or may not do it. It's all very well when we have relatively benign government as know but can you imagine what Brown would have done if he had been able to disqualify candidates he didn't like?
  13. Police Commissioners will not have any useful powers. You could elect the Dali Lama or Peter Sutcliffe, it would make no difference; real power will remain with the Home Office and ACPO.
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The problem as I see it, Buggerall, is that a candidate will need to backing of a party machine to get his name across and get elected. At that point the Party has the choice of whom it backs. So the process becomes political and we end up with political direction of the police.

Not that, to a large extent, via the Home Office we haven't got that already.