Candian joining as an officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Hamilton963, Jul 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm a Canadian and I want to join the British army as an officer. I plan to go to university in Britain or Northern Ireland and join UOTC. I plan to actually join after I get my degree. Can I as a Canadian and what infantry and Rac regiments take a lot of Canadians
  2. rampant

    rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    As a British, Irish or Commonwealth Citizen you may join any of HM Forces, there's alittle more paperwork involved but it's a question of jumping through hoops. As to going to Sandhurst and which regiments will take you, it is a case of you doing the research regarding who appeals to you most, and then proving yourself, at Briefing, Main Board and throughout your time at Sandhurst. Simple as that.

    Start here: British Army Website

    edited to add: didn't you post the same question at the tail of someone else's thread last night?
  3. even if you join eveyrone will: call you a yank.. lol
  4. Greetings from a fellow Candian! You have to reside in the UK for at least 5 years before you can join. Sometimes you can get a waiver to shorten it to 3 years if you have particularly strong familial ties with the UK, or you have resided in a country where UK authorities can conduct exhaustive background checks, for example Germany, but I'm not sure if Canada is one such country.

    To get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, email the AFCO in London. They deal with all Commonwealth recruits.