CANCER MAPS FOR UK

SOURCE http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=354807&in_page_id=1797

Experts have identified smoking and drinking danger zones across England and Scotland where people are more likely to die from a range of cancers than elsewhere in the country, it has been revealed.
Both incidence and death rates for cancers of the lung, voice box, lip, mouth and throat are higher than the national average in regions within the bands - primarily in northern England and Scotland.

Rates for the same cancers were lower than average in the south and Midlands of England.

WHY DONT OUR GOVERNMENT REDUCE THE PRICES OF HEALTHY FOOD.
AND INCREASE THE PRICES OF UNHEALTHY FOOD

Tomorrow's Daily Mail Tagline:

"For a long and happy life, marry a southerner and live in Sussex. Then spend your weekends shagging pi55ed up sluts in Aberdeen."

DM message for the last 60 years.

why don't you write something original LS im not being horrible just for the sake of it but your threads are boring!
if i wanted to read this article i would have picked up the newspaper and read it myself.

blondy :)

The point about reducing the price of healthy food, and increasing the price of unhealthy food is a good one.
It still winds me up when I see one of those "Mums waddled down to Iceland" ads. I have never set foot in the shop, but it seems that you can buy a trolley full of manky pizza, chicken (yeh right) nuggets, ice cream and chips for about a fiver. While a basket of fresh fruit, veg and meat from Waitrose sets me back £50.
Its a bit of a no-brainer really, if you're a single mum with a reading age of seven, and five snotty kids to feed, they wont be eating ostrich steak and wild rocket salad will they?
Come on FSA/DEFRA get your bloody finger out.

why not just add the link then write your own opinion? rather then cut and paste the full article without coming back to argue/debate a point.

G

Goku

lawstudent said:
Experts have identified smoking and drinking danger zones across England
I wondered what those men were doing outside my house :D

lawstudent said:
Look here too...
Skip gossip links to more articles
Pictures: See the cancer maps here
Latest: Cancer patients' fertility advance
News: New technique brings relief for breast cancer sufferers
In focus: Kylie's breast cancer: Know the facts
Report: Red meat fans increase risk of bowel cancer
All the diseases are linked to excessive consumption of alcohol, and to smoking.
What was the point of copying and pasting that?

lawstudent said:
WHY DONT OUR GOVERNMENT REDUCE THE PRICES OF HEALTHY FOOD.
AND INCREASE THE PRICES OF UNHEALTHY FOOD
Please don’t write in capitals, it’s considered shouting and is rude.

Sure this has appeared already on ARRSE and it regularly does the rounds by email:

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

The Italians drink large amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.

Conclusion: Eat and drink what you like. What kills you is speaking English.

And before anyone accuses me of being unduly irreverent on such a serious subject, if anyone really knew how to solve these problems, they would do so, and avoiding everything that could conceivably be bad for you is definitely not the answer - I still live by Granny McAbacus' advice - all things in moderation and when the Good Lord calls, it's time to go

it is a good topic and well worthy of discussion! come on LS come and discuss!

junk food is so much cheaper and alot more conveniant! you hear stories about fast food companies serving salads that contain more calories then the burgers!

what we need are more outlets that serve healthy appetizing food.

I am as amazed as anyone else that LS has come up with a sensible suggestion: viz., to make healthy food cheaper than unhealthy food. Unfortunately, though utterly sensible, it will never happen, at least whilst some of the biggest donors to New Labour are the owners of food processing companies or supermarkets. Or, indeed, whilst people like Lord Sainsbury are unelected advisers, and New Labour appoint directors of Tesco (another big donor) to quangos, thus allowing them to influence government.

sandmanfez said:
The point about reducing the price of healthy food, and increasing the price of unhealthy food is a good one.
It still winds me up when I see one of those "Mums waddled down to Iceland" ads. I have never set foot in the shop, but it seems that you can buy a trolley full of manky pizza, chicken (yeh right) nuggets, ice cream and chips for about a fiver. While a basket of fresh fruit, veg and meat from Waitrose sets me back £50.
Its a bit of a no-brainer really, if you're a single mum with a reading age of seven, and five snotty kids to feed, they wont be eating ostrich steak and wild rocket salad will they?
Come on FSA/DEFRA get your bloody finger out.
Sorry, but this is not quite true. Let's set Waitrose aside for now, but next time you are in Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury, even, check out the cost of a fresh whole chicken. Check out the cost of a bag of spuds. Even better, head down the market and see how mcuh you get in a £1 scoop of fruit or veg. Compare this to the cost of a ready meal.

Now this is bound to cause a hail of incoming from those who miss the point, but you are getting a lot closer to the truth when you mention the reading age of seven. The poor are generally ill educated and in many cases lazy. This is why they eat rubbish. There is also the sense of fatalism and lack of interest in the long term, inclduing their health later in life.

G

Goku

It’s down to personal choice.

We live in an age where it is common knowledge that cigarettes give you cancer, alcohol damages your liver, and fatty foods make you fat.
You can choose weather or not you smoke or stay in a smoke filled room.
You can choose weather or not to binge drink.
You can choose to eat health food or junk food.

When I was a poor student, I found it cheaper to buy fresh vegetables and some meat than to buy a ready meal.
If you try and argue that healthy food is expensive, it’s not. Even the unemployed dole scum, who hasn’t worked a day in his life, can afford to eat healthy with all the handouts he’s given, if he wanted to.

20stone fat c*nts, dieing of lung cancer and liver poisoning get no sympathy from me.

The problem is, Clownbasher, that the processed sh!te bought by the proles is cheap to produce and yields large profits. It is therefore in the interests of the supermarkets/producers to see real food kept at higher prices. Another issue is the insistence on the supermarkets of overpackaging and ensuring that all fruit and veg is 'Grade 1', i.e. looks the same; flavour and value are not the prinary concern.

Marketing plays a huge part in shopping choices, particularly amongst the hard of thinking, so to make them change their habits would probably require the restriction of advertising of Pot Noodles and other edible garbage, and the promotion of eating properly. A long and hard road, I fear - and I write having just returned from the hospital canteen, where I was surrounded by grotesquely obese slatterns who are nurses. Even these apparently intelligent (or so they keep telling us) individuals seem to have no idea, so what hope is there for the rest?

You are of course right, it is possible to eat both healthily AND cheaply, I am probably not a good example, as I am a well paid single man with money to burn, so I tend to buy my produce in small "ready to eat" format which would be prohibitively expensive for a family.
Prices at Asda or the market are far more reasonable, but at the risk of sounding snobbish, I can afford not to mix with a bunch of tatooed, sportswear clad, educationally deficient lardarses. Before anyone razzes me for that comment, I appreciate that not EVERYONE who shops at Asda fits that description, but the majority do, and I would rather remain in my ivory tower.
As for choosing to make themselves ill through poor diet, I agree, except where it impacts upon me and mine.
My ex has both MS and Crohns disease, neither of which are her fault, but whenever I have to take her to one of several hospitals for tests, check-ups or treatment, we join a massive queue of, predominantly lardy types who have bought their illness upon themselves.

Right, I am mounted on my high horse :D

I cook daily and my intention is to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen as humanly possible. If I spend more than £6 on a main meal for 4 I'm being extravagant (and that makes the per head price less than the cost of a school meal and less than the price of 3 McD Happy Meals).

Current favourites are Tarragon chicken with sour cream sauce, Chicken glazed with ginger and orange, Pork loin steaks with sherry, green pepper corns and cream sauce, prawn & veg stir fry, various biryanis, omelettes, and sundry (shock! horror!) Indian vegan recipes.

It costs less than cr*p (even including the cost of the spices etc) and I don't spend more than 30 mins cooking. However, one does need to sit at a table (due to the sauces), be competent with a knife and fork and accept the fact that you will require a non-disposable rigid plate which, along with the pots and pans, will need to be put in the dishwasher or, worse still, washed by hand. Puts the whole concept completely beyond the reach of the average chav.

Latest Threads