Cancer fight soldier dies after battle with NHS bosses

It's appalling that he wasn't given the drug when he first needed it and then had to change his doctor to an area where he could get it.

Rest in Peace Mark. My condolences to your family.

RIP!

For what reason should we blame the drug companies, jarrod?

£21k to prolong a man's life: Not cost effective

£30k to send 171 NHS managers to a conference during NHS Equality, Diversity & Human Rights Week so they can celebrate their transgender staff: Fully cost effective.

NHS launches 'diversity week' with transgender art - Telegraph

We did not elect a Tory government to continue this bullshit from where Labour left it.

For making drugs more expensive than NICE will pay or perhaps the drug wasn't cost effective.
Ah OK. But if the drug was too expensive where this poor chap lived, can you tell me why it wasn't too expensive 15 miles away. I am genuinely interested. Maybe you could start another thread so as not to divert this one? Thanks.

£21k to prolong a man's life: Not cost effective

£30k to send 171 NHS managers to a conference during NHS Equality, Diversity & Human Rights Week so they can celebrate their transgender staff: Fully cost effective.

NHS launches 'diversity week' with transgender art - Telegraph

We did not elect a Tory government to continue this bullshit from where Labour left it.
I agree, sadly we do not have a tory government, we have a Liberal/Conservative government and it does seem that the Liberals like some of what Labour did.
However, this is the fault of NHS management that Labour put into place some time ago and they of course are lining their own pockets before they feel the cuts.
Has anyone brought this to the attention of the PM?

Ah OK. But if the drug was too expensive where this poor chap lived, can you tell me why it wasn't too expensive 15 miles away. I am genuinely interested. Maybe you could start another thread so as not to divert this one? Thanks.
I started a thread last year about this and a petition to get Mark the treatment he needed.

Jarrod did his best to kill that thread as well the sanctimonious ****.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/174458-eany-meany-miney-dead.html

Apparently last time it wasn't blame the drug companies it was contra-indicated and Jarrod knew far better than the consultant who was treating Mark. I really can't understand why nurses aren't paid more than the top of the range doctors, they apparently know so much more.

There should be no post code lotteries and no-one should be forced to lie to try to save their life. This episode is a stain on our Nation and an absolute disgrace.

As for the cost of drugs, very often that is down to the cost of bringing them to market. When a molecule is first isolated then the patent is applied for. The patent lasts twenty years but it'll take a minimum of ten years to get the finished drug on the market leaving a mere ten years for the drug companies to recoup the enormous cost of bringing that drug to the market and develop other drugs. Don't blame the manufacturers blame the 20 year patents.

I hope the people who made these decisions about drug availability reflect on this item of sad news as they lie writhing and screaming in pain with cancer or something equally nasty and painfully fatal.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I started a thread last year about this and a petition to get Mark the treatment he needed.

Jarrod did his best to kill that thread as well the sanctimonious ****.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/174458-eany-meany-miney-dead.html

Apparently last time it wasn't blame the drug companies it was contra-indicated and Jarrod knew far better than the consultant who was treating Mark. I really can't understand why nurses aren't paid more than the top of the range doctors, they apparently know so much more.

There should be no post code lotteries and no-one should be forced to lie to try to save their life. This episode is a stain on our Nation and an absolute disgrace.

As for the cost of drugs, very often that is down to the cost of bringing them to market. When a molecule is first isolated then the patent is applied for. The patent lasts twenty years but it'll take a minimum of ten years to get the finished drug on the market leaving a mere ten years for the drug companies to recoup the enormous cost of bringing that drug to the market and develop other drugs. Don't blame the manufacturers blame the 20 year patents.
MIT,
Thanks for jogging my memory I didn't try to kill the thread. I simply pointed out why the drug wasn't licenced in this case.

To be fair MIT, Jarrod probably knows a fair bit more about drugs than most on this site.

Wonder drugs are rarely the 'magic bullets' they are cracked up to be.

Has anyone brought this to the attention of the PM?
Can we just wave the back pages of papers such as Metro at him as well? Bonfire of the QUANGOs my arrse, the only recruiting going on most of the time is in education, health & their spin offs...

Can we just wave the back pages of papers such as Metro at him as well? Bonfire of the QUANGOs my arrse, the only recruiting going on most of the time is in education, health & their spin offs...
10 Downing Street has a contact page where people can send the PM their concerns etc (usually it gets routed to some official). If it was used more, maybe they would take some notice.
Its better to do something then to sit back and wait for someone else to do it or for something to happen.

To be fair MIT, Jarrod probably knows a fair bit more about drugs than most on this site.

Wonder drugs are rarely the 'magic bullets' they are cracked up to be.
I know Jarrod personally and when he's not being a sanctimonious **** he's one of the nicest people I know. I agree that he probably knows more than most on this site about drugs (or can read a data sheet/BNF with the best of us). However I was suggesting that a consultant in oncology probably knows a bit more about the treatment of cancer than a Dip in Palliative Care.

However I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for many years and know something about the costs of introducing a new drug. Boots are a great case in point, they launched a cardiology drug which took them (mid 90's) around 500 million to produce and get to market. They launched it in two strengths. Both strengths had a profound effect on the quality of life post-MI of patients. However, in the higher strength patients were dying sooner than expected. They withdrew both strengths (which was difficult to do since the patients refused to come off it because it so improved their QoL) so effectively lost 500m which effected their ability to carry out original research profoundly.

Drug companies have a very short time before the patent runs out to recoup their losses and make enough to fund the research they are carrying out. They only really make their money out of the Western World since supplying the 3rd World is often done at cost. The NHS sets the drug tariff and there is some room for manoeuvre with drug companies when setting that tariff but the fact remains that developing new drugs is a horrendously expensive process and involves duplicated research and testing since the US FDA will only grant approval on research and testing carried out in the US.

There used to be a cosy relationship between the NHS (Government) and drug companies. The NHS would pay the going rate for drugs and the drug companies would spend a minimum percentage of profit on research and education. However NICE changed all that and it can only have a negative effect, most likely through less research or less education. Most published doctors owe much of their research funding to the ABPI companies, I don't know if that's still the case but if it is I'm willing to bet that it has been significantly effected by the current situation.

They only really make their money out of the Western World since supplying the 3rd World is often done at cost.
Don't supply the third world, then. The feckers only spend their whole time gobbling up aid or trying to get over here to gobble up benefits so a bit of natural wastage is about due :wink: