Cancer and joining up?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Fisherman, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently started my application to join the army and now just waiting for my selection date; but today i was told i have testicular cancer.
    I have asked the online careers office whether this would prevent me from joining, and the response had conflicting answers.

If the cancer is cured will i be eligible for service? (The treatment means i have to have the testicle removed (bummer)).

Sorry if this feels like a question more suited to an agony aunt column.
  2. Do it. One less liabilty . 1 less nut to possibly lose in the Big Sandy. The forces take women now, so why wouldn't they take 1/2 a man?
  3. I know of at least one guy (lane jack last time i saw him) who only had one ball. He took great delight in showing all the new recruits his battle wound.

You'll probably have to put up with loads of shite nicknames like "Hitler," or "whodyagetabollockoff," etc but i'm sure you'll cope.

If not then you'll just have to grow a pair... :D sorry, couldn't resist.

Anywho, your best bet is to talk to a recruitment advisor as they are they most qualified to say yay or nay but as long as you get the all clear i don't think it'll be a drama.

Hope this helps.
  4. Fuckin right
  5. You can but have to be 4 years clear i think :s
  6. Its not the lack of a knacker that will cause a problem on joining up, but the history of cancer. Looking in JSP 346 I can't find a definitive answer, could mean a 5 year ban, total ban or wait for successful treatment. Its certainly a no go while waiting for treatment.
  7. Cheers Father_Gundulph and callum13 for your responses
  8. And again cheers theoriginalphantom
  9. No worries.

From looking at what T_O_P has said though, it looks like it might be a bit of a wait before you can carry on with your app.

Hopefully all will be resolved and you can carry on your app. at a later date.

Best of luck.
  10. Good luck anyway Fisherman.
  11. Ask if you can have the knacker back, it'll make a great ornament, perhaps have it encased in perspex and made into a walking stick end...
  12. Or i can play conkers with it
  13. Or as your username suggests, go fishing with it as bait.
  14. I knew a guy that wanted to join up but then he was diagnosed with cancer.

I thought no part of the services accepted anyone who had a history of cancer, even if they were cleared. (hmm)

So the poor guy who was so keen couldn't do it and is now doing some outdoors activities job.
  15. Didn't Hitler only....TAXI!