Cancelled Courses - Civi Leave

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BuggerAll, Jan 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've just been reading another thread from a chap who has been bounced of a course. The course is due to assy in Feb 09. He has taken leave from work etc.

This has happened to me before but as I work in a flexible environment it has never been a major issue for me.

My question is does this happen often?

And the topic for discussion is if it does what should/could be done about it?

Personally I feel that if a TA soldier (or Officer) has been warned off for a course and taken leave from work then the TA should at the very least be prepared to employ him/her for the period in question.

2. Yes it does happen often. Our unit will employ us for the length of the course either at the TAC or at RHQ. It does mean that instead of getting a useful worthwhile course we end up as a general dogsbody, but it's better than nothing and it's often good to get an insight into what happens at RHQ.

It is a real problem in my civvi employment as my leave is booked a year ahead and is difficult to change. It means I usually have to find a course that fits my leave rather than plan my leave around a course.

3. Agree this happens often, for whatever reason.
    I've been bounced from courses because of too many applicants and also because of too little.
    Our unit also employs those who have taken holidays from work and are unable to cancel them for general duties.

4. I'm the other chap....

This happens all the time unfortunity and I my work is VERY arkward.

The worst was thinking I was going on op tour wil Optag dates etc. when actually it had all been cancelled but no one telling me?

Enjoy :)
    Edited to say I have no issues for people i.e. regs. being placed above me if they are about to deploy, but there seems to be no allowance for TA and work commitment etc.

5. The bigger problem is the RHQ having to fake work because some TA bloke is hanging around after the cancelled course :D

6. msr

msr LE

Well, at least you got bounced off - XX Signal Regiment could not even be bothered to book the JOTAC course for a friend of mine in Feb and he only found out yesterday when he chased up the joining instructions.

msr

7. Yeh I'm sure.........but how come they always manage to get me working so b****y hard considering it's all fake??

8. lol nightmare!!!!