Canberra retires from service.

I was based at RAF St Mawgan when 7 Sqn operated the Canberra (late 70s/early 80s), and had several flights - wonderful aircraft. My father remembers that whilst he was undergoing flying training in Canada, film of the Queen's coronation was flown out by Canberra.

At least MoD used to get some procurement right!

The sad end for a beautiful aircraft. If only more of our aircraft lasted as long as they did.

I love that aircraft, and my first jet trip as a space cadet. Annual Camp RAF Wyton , back in 19-depressing.

spike7451 said:
A beautiful aircraft that I hope will be preserved for all to see & enjoy.
I belive there's one flying out of IWM Duxford, Or at least there was, as I've saw one zooming around over my home city a few years back.

ViroBono said:
I was based at RAF St Mawgan when 7 Sqn operated the Canberra (late 70s/early 80s), and had several flights - wonderful aircraft. My father remembers that whilst he was undergoing flying training in Canada, film of the Queen's coronation was flown out by Canberra.

At least MoD used to get some procurement right!
Just goes to show hw right things can be when the beancounters of the public purse dont pennypinch and allow something to develop without cutting costs.Just look at what we have today that only has a service life of around 10 years.(if that!)

I love that aircraft, and my first jet trip as a space cadet. Annual Camp RAF Wyton , back in 19-depressing.
ooooops..... Snap!

Here's one I snapped earlier this month while the three remaining aircraft were doing a "farewell" tour of the UK.

I beleive NASA use a modified Cannbera for atmospheric research..

The RAF Red Arrows bid farewell to the oldest aircraft in the RAF fleet yesterday at RAF Marham
Errrrrrrrr not quite, isn't it this?

P7350 MKIIA and still on RAF charge :D

The NASA aircraft is, IIRC, a WB57, the Martin B57 being a licence-produced variant of the Cranberry. NASA have a couple and there are several more at AMARC, although what it would take to bring these back into service I don't know.

The B-57 was a Americsn version adapted to fill a gap left by the early retirement of the U S Strategic bombers &,like that Harrier was built under licence.Although a Canberra in name & shape,it was,basically a entirely different aircraft.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a book ages ago (gone now) called Slattery's Hurricane by Herman Wouk (author of The Caine Mutiny). It is about bods in pre-satellite days flying B-17s into hurricanes to record this and that. Filmed in 1949.

Not much Canberra left in that NASA variant!

Re the Canberra, missed this thread first time around so might mention that I had a 15-minute hop in one in a jump seat c/o 617 sqn ca.1954 when I was an RAF CCF cadet. Chap I was at school with ended up as a navigator on the PR version.

If it's of UK origin and the Yanks are happy to use it then it must be an exceptional piece of kit.

What year?
I'm trying to remember what year I did annual camp at Wyton.......and fell under the spell of the Canberra. In various ways I kept connections with the Canberra through my military service. It's an aircraft that just seems iconic to me, even in its later years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke Royal Air Force 5
Yokel Tanks, planes & ships 45
Goatman Aviation 1