canadians in bearskins on da telly

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grumblegrunt, Jul 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

whats that all about then?

if does make sense seeing as they have bears and we dont.

2. Grumblegrunt

the ones that guard the king and queen they havent got you mean?

3. Grumblegrunt

surely then they should be allowed to be trooped by her maj every now and again?

4. WAH?? they have the same queen as us, some of the wierd frenchy types might not like it but I know 2 canadian coppers who had to swear allegance to the queen

5. Grumblegrunt

so they should be in london keeping her safe and allowing the shiney boys to get some more sand time in :)

6. well the Queens there Colonel in Chief, and maybe an adult who knows what they're on about can correct me but I think that the govnor general acts in place of the Queen

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grumblegrunt

cant they let willum, do it while he's there? give the lads a proper royal to stamp about to

8. Grumblegrunt

they could maybe do a mixed trooping like the edinburgh tattoo. that would be better.

9. not sure they havn't in the past I have a weird 1/2 memory of reading such a thing, and they've been in the UK at some point as wiki has a pic of them training over here

10. Grumblegrunt

bearskins are from our battering of napoleon though, havent they got any american kit they can wear from when they battered them?

11. Quite right, H.M. the Queen in right of Canada is represented by the Governor General. He serves as the viceroy, providing Royal Assent to bills that have passed Parliament, signing commissions and when needed revoking commissions. Currently the GG is His Excellency, The Right Honourable David Johnston, CC. He is a legal scholar and retired university president. A fine gentleman and a great hockey player when he was a student at Harvard. He has all the powers of the Queen except when she is in Canada.
    For details check The Governor General of Canada | Le gouverneur général du Canada

12. thought as much I know it used to be the case that a sitting judge would have to leave the area when the monarch was there as there couldn't be two kings/queens in the one place

13. My first Coy 2IC was a captain from the CGG, don't think we've had any come over for a few years though

14. The GG of Canada met Her Majesty last summer and was invested (think that is what they call it) on October 1st.

His first official trip as GG was to Afghanistan to visit her Majesties Canadian Forces deployed there.

Edited to add: There are pics of him in Afghanistan on the website.

• Like Like x 1