Canadian with UK passport

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
This:
Soldiers from across the Commonwealth and other countries have a long and proud tradition of service in the British Army. That tradition continues today. The Army welcomes applicants from certain countries and overseas territories, but you may need to have lived in the UK for a set period of time to be eligible for certain roles.

To join the Regular Army you should be:

• British citizen, or
  • British subject under the Nationality Act, 1981 or
  • A citizen of a Commonwealth country. To join the Regular Army, you'll need Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or have resided in the UK for five years before you start an application to join the Army. You must not have been out of the UK for a continuous period of more than 180 days (six months) during this five year period. To join the Army Reserve, you need to prove that you either have British citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement) in the UK. or
  • British Protected Person or
  • Citizen of the Irish Republic. For the Army Reserve, you will need to no longer be living in the Irish Republic to be eligible to join
is what the MOD/Army website says.

Pick up the phone, or wander in, who knows what may happen.

I am a 26 year old male from Canada holding a dual citizenship with the United Kingdom and I am interested in joining the Marines or the Army. The Canadian Forces are not hiring infantry trades due to budget cuts. The French Foreign Legion does not sound too promising either with its high rejection rate. I have reached a plateau with where I am physically and mentally and I need a challenge. I read somewhere commonwealth applicants since 2013 have been denied entry into the British army. What are my options, where do I start?

Thanks

I have just driven past a large sign advertising recruitment for the Canadian Scottish Regiment (although they are reservist).
There are still commonwealth recruits coming through to the British army, so you might have misinterpreted, whatever you read.
Scroll down to the bottom of this link and it has some general information for you colonial types.
http://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/23209.aspx

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Our contact team are available on the phones during the following hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 - 19:00 and Saturday 10:00 - 16:00, and on Live Chat and Facebook Monday to Friday 10:00 to 17:00 and Saturday 10:00 - 16:00

Call usChat to an adviser, by calling 0345 600 8080

Live Chat
Connect directly to a member of the team from your laptop.

Facebook
Either post on our wall, or for a more personal response, send us a message and we'll respond as soon as we can.

Our contact team are available on the phones during the following hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 - 19:00 and Saturday 10:00 - 16:00, and on Live Chat and Facebook Monday to Friday 09:00 to 19:00 and Saturday 10:00 - 16:00

You may need +44 usual international call stuff applies.

Held a chat with with the enquiry adviser.

4:20:42 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You will be eligible to join the Army, the application process can take any time between 4-9 months. It is recommended to live in the UK as there are face to face stages of the application and you will need as contact address in the UK

4:25:27 AM : James: Its recommended to live in the UK -- I have no job, no flat, cost of living is too high. Alternatives ?

4:29:07 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You will have to live in the UK prior to enlisting, I am unable to assist you any further with regards to your citizenship

4:32:24 AM : James: To summarize, I contact UK home office, request to join the British army with my dual citizenship while relinquishing Canadian citizenship (how long would that take), move to UK, then enlist to join the army which can take 4-9 months. What happens if the army rejects my application?

4:35:28 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You contact the Home Office to get advice on how to get full citizenship, once you have this and you live in the UK you are eligible to join. If the army rejects your application it is up to you what happens next. Here is a link to the Army website where you can see the eligibility and medical conditions for joining. http://www.army.mod.uk/join/How-to-join.aspx

It would be a serious commitment. To go through all that and not make it as an sf operator.

Last edited:

4:20:42 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You will be eligible to join the Army, the application process can take any time between 4-9 months. It is recommended to live in the UK as there are face to face stages of the application and you will need as contact address in the UK

4:25:27 AM : James: Its recommended to live in the UK -- I have no job, no flat, cost of living is too high. Alternatives ?

4:29:07 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You will have to live in the UK prior to enlisting, I am unable to assist you any further with regards to your citizenship

4:32:24 AM : James: To summarize, I contact UK home office, request to join the British army with my dual citizenship while relinquishing Canadian citizenship (how long would that take), move to UK, then enlist to join the army which can take 4-9 months. What happens if the army rejects my application?

4:35:28 AM : Enquiry Advisor Kelsey: You contact the Home Office to get advice on how to get full citizenship, once you have this and you live in the UK you are eligible to join. If the army rejects your application it is up to you what happens next. Here is a link to the Army website where you can see the eligibility and medical conditions for joining. http://www.army.mod.uk/join/How-to-join.aspx

It would be a serious commitment. To go through all that and not make it as an sf operator.

I don't know what bollocks is being spouted but you don't ever lose your Canadian citizenship no matter what you do and as far as Im aware you don't need full citizenship to join either.
I assume the army/MOD are not going to give you a cover note to apply and if you fail you can stay in the UK is because there are to many people who would fake it.
However it says you are advised to live in the UK not that you have to.
If you are a Canuck why are you up at 01.50 in the morning?

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer

You will have to be in UK as you have to attend an interview, possibly a RIC or a GAIC and SC. You must be registered at a GP so that med can be checked. Everything the NRC told you is correct.

A Dutch dual national applied through my office and was required to relinquish her Dutch nationality (probably just not allowed to hold both passports)

Finally, what makes you think you will be able to join as SF anyway. I presume by that comment you are looking to go Para. (I know in the first post you mentioned Marines but you will have to look at a Royal Navy site if you want to go RM)

From what I can understand, if I renounce my citizenship and move to Britain but want reacquire my Canadian passport, I have 10 years before the government says Fack off ya cunnt
A Dutch dual national applied through my office and was required to relinquish her Dutch nationality (probably just not allowed to hold both passports)

Has something changed very recently then? Because the commonwealth soldiers are forever bumping their gums they have to pay for a British passport after x amount of years even though they are all 'ero veterans.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Has something changed very recently then? Because the commonwealth soldiers are forever bumping their gums they have to pay for a British passport after x amount of years even though they are all 'ero veterans.

The OP and the applicant at my office are dual nationals so already have or are entitled to British passports, most of the Commonwealth soldiers are foreign nationals only so they have to pay whatever becoming a UK citizen costs

D

Deleted 60082

I don't know what bollocks is being spouted but you don't ever lose your Canadian citizenship no matter what you do and as far as Im aware you don't need full citizenship to join either.
I assume the army/MOD are not going to give you a cover note to apply and if you fail you can stay in the UK is because there are to many people who would fake it.
However it says you are advised to live in the UK not that you have to.
If you are a Canuck why are you up at 01.50 in the morning?
Absolutely concur with Stacker (a rarity, I know). I maintained dual citizenship throughout my time in the British Forces, leaving only a couple of years ago. Absolutely no need to relinquish your Canadian citizenship. Ignore the advice that Kelsey gave.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer

There was and there still will be.

I can only comment on the experience in my office from the applicant this year. That said, her dual nationality was not from a commonwealth country so that may be a consideration.

In RGI's certain trades are a definite no go area for dual nationals but as I am not at work I am not going to put down what I think they are. If required I will put them on when I go back

Latest Threads