Canadian veteran turning 100.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
1580824005085.png

Seen elsewhere. I bet he gets a dang sight more than 100 cards

As the Cousins might say << Thank you for your Service feller >>

Has Queensman accused him of being a walt yet?

Would it be such a hardship if some of you chaps sent him a card on his birthday? I will, the old boy deserves it.

Last edited:
A part that has not been publicized is that the gent is actually at Sunnybrook hospital, not the address shown in the photo. Sunnybrook is where old soldiers go when the end is in sight, chances the address was used as the hospital didn’t wish to be inundated with bags of cards as other old vets would be left out.

ugly

LE
A part that has not been publicized is that the gent is actually at Sunnybrook hospital, not the address shown in the photo. Sunnybrook is where old soldiers go when the end is in sight, chances the address was used as the hospital didn’t wish to be inundated with bags of cards as other old vets would be left out.
My Gt Uncle spent his last year in Belle Vue, not a bad hospital I thought!

I've just made a note in my diary to send the old boy a card for his birthday.

Do those who live in the Commonwealth, who reach 100 years of age, also receive a card from the Queen?

My Gt Uncle spent his last year in Belle Vue, not a bad hospital I thought!
Sunnybrook is the best place in the country for a veteran to go for treatment be they a 21 yr old who got clipped by an ied or a 95 yr old finishing up. I was last there in the fall visiting an old piper and it is one of those places where the residents and caregivers are equally impressive.

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Card being sent in the first post tomorrow. My aunt emigrated to Canada in the late 40s and saw her days out there some 8 years ago. I believe that she spent time in Belle Vue and, I am sure, she said that she had visited Sunnybrook. Having attended numerous Candadian memorials for Ww1 and Ww2 in Northern France and with close friends serving/served with Canadian Forces, it will be an honour to mark this particular vereran’s centenary.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Here's the CBC news story on this. His son is the one organising this for him, and the address is that of his son who will take his mail to him.
WW II vet Fred Arsenault is turning 100. His son plans birthday gift that's 'just out of this world'

Fred Arsenault loves getting letters the old-fashioned way — through the postal service.

It was while serving in the Second World War that Arsenault learned to fully appreciate the significance of receiving that envelope.

"He was in a slit trench and he would get a letter from his mom. So, he would read it at night in the darkness," his son, Ron Arsenault told CBC News.

"My dad was a private in the army … He was involved in the Italian campaign [and] he was also involved in the liberation of the Netherlands."

Arsenault will be turning 100 on March 6 and his son says he has come up with a birthday gift that is "just out of this world" for his dad.
He'll be having a party at Branch 73 of the Royal Canadian Legion.
Ron Arsenault has told his dad about the plans for his 100th birthday, which include "a big party" on March 7.

"The good thing [is that] he's involved with Branch 73 of the [Royal Canadian] Legion. They've provided the hall for him so we're going to have a big family reunion for him," Ron said.

"He's looking forward to that. We have a live band, so it's going to be a busy month. My cousin's daughter, she's an out-of-this-world cake maker and she's making the cake for his 100th birthday."
Various prominent politicians in Canada have been sending their congratulations via social media, so this has been getting a certain degree of publicity.

Thanks to @HLD DMR for pointing out this thread to me.

Latest Threads