Canadian thinking of going paras...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by RetardedCanuck, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am ex Canadian Army. I attempted joining the Royal Marines. But it was not to be as the rules have changed and there are no waivers.

I was "informed" that writing a letter could work. As I talked with an ex Para Officer who lives here in Canada. I'm sure he is lurking around these forums somewhere.

And I was wondering with my previous infantry "para" experience if waivers to the new regulations are possible?

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Waiver for what? If it is citizenship then no, there are no waivers.

3. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

The main part to know is;

"You must have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or have resided in the UK for five years before you start an application to join the Army. You must not have been out of the UK for a continuous period of more than 180 days (six months) during this five year period."

If you do not meet this criteria there are no waivers.

4. Alright cool. I figured that, but was hoping that they're might be other avenues to fill gaps. Canada's official policy is that we only recruit citizens. However I have met 2 Australians, 2 Brits and 1 Dutchman. They recieved waivers due to previous experience and gaps in our army.

Thanks for the quick replies

5. Good first choice though!! I like your ambition :)

6. Ya I wish we had units like that in Canada. But it's just not feasible at the moment. But there's always cansofcom.

7. phone up careers office and get the definitive answer

8. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

I am a recruiter in a careers office. The response I have given above is the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What makes you think you can come over here, steal our women, drink our beer, get paid more than us and.... oh that was the Yanks wasn't it - sorry!

10. & since when do 2 recruiters come up with the same answer?

I once had a member of 15 Para, who was refused regular Army by the recruiters in Aberdeen.
    Due to him being over aged.

A quick phone call to RHQ Para did the trick.
    The Recruiting WO1 frae Aberdeen, phoned me up that very day with the good news & my man was on his way to Aldershot!

• Like Like x 1
  11. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Well then, he just needs to keep phoning up different careers offices until he gets the answer he wants, doesn't he?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don't forget the Poles and Czechs too. Came over here in 1940, taking our fighter pilots' jobs and then started shooting down all those young German lads who were flying over the country in their nice aeroplanes!

But back to the subject in hand, I know a few NZ ers who applied to join the Brit Army whilst living in NZ. They only spent a matter of weeks in the UK before joining.

13. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

The policy changed in July this year

14. Well if you're not successful with this you could consider trying for the French Foreign Legion and then 2eme REP

263890_2265680521457_3171706_n.jpg 3999654662_2.jpg 2e5318929620b34fb5c9f39900b752e748h-pour-reprendre-le-controle-de-la-boucle-du-niger-7_zps70e24d.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.