Canadian Reserves get pensions!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The-Daddy, Dec 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor announced today that Canada's reservists will be able to contribute to and receive pension plan benefits starting in the new year.

As many as 8,500 reservists may now qualify to be included in the Canada Pension Plan and establishing reservist pensions has been an issue many of them have been fighting for.

"This is the CPP (Canada Pension Plan) that every worker in Canada pays into and, as a result, is able to collect upon retirement," CTV's David Akin, who was first to report the news, told Newsnet from Ottawa.

In a news release, O'Connor is quoted as saying that the government made this change "because we believe that all Reservists should be able to collect a pension that will allow them to build for retirement and provide their families with basic financial protection."

"Canada's New Government is proud of the brave men and women who serve our country daily and this amendment is another example of our commitment to support them."

Gen. Rick Hillier, the Chief of Defence Staff, called the announcement "excellent news" for reservists. "Whether Canadians choose to serve full-time or part-time in the CF, they will be able to start building upon their CPP pension and create a more secure future," he added.

McCallum reaction

There had been a regulation in place preventing reserve soldiers from contributing to or receiving CPP. But the federal government, three years ago under then-defence minister John McCallum, approved pensions for these reservists.

"This is really quite ridiculous. I announced this change way back," McCallum told Akin on Thursday in response to O'Connor's announcement.

"What that shows is that military are super slow in implementing things, not that they responded super fast to an idea from O'Connor."

McCallum, now a Liberal MP and finance critic, amended the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act to include pension plans for full- and part-time reservists.

While O'Connor's office did not dispute that the changes were initially announced by McCallum in 2003, it said these changes were never officially approved by the previous Liberal government.

"Last week, changes were officially approved by the Government. The Liberals were not (able) to get approval from Treasury Board," Etienne Allard, O'Connor's director of communications, told Akin.

The new CPP rules for reservists will come into effect on Jan. 1, 2007.

They were meant as a way to make the reserves attractive to job seekers, and will make it easier for reservists to justify taking time away from their regular jobs to serve in the military.

"A lot of reservists in Afghanistan are serving in a combat role," said Akin.

"Some at CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick are training to go over to Afghanistan in the new year. They are a very important part of Canada's all-volunteer army -- remember we don't have a draft, so we rely on volunteers. So now, reservists may take time away from school, time away from a full-time job in order to go to Afghanistan."

Thirteen per cent of Canada's 2,300-member Afghanistan contingent are reservists who volunteered their services, leaving their civilian jobs.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061221/reserves_pension_061221/20061221?hub=Canada

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Errr, so what? What has that to do with the TA?

The Army/TA position on Pensions is pretty plain (and has been for many years) - either Pension or Bounty. Both is not possible - there just isn't the money, never has been (under ANY Government) and never ever will be.

Incidentally, you will find that almost all those shouting loudest for pensions for the TA are those who have 'done their time', probably never been Mobilised, and knew what the rules were when they joined. They are just after something for nothing, and reflect more on the 'compensation culture' than they do on the TA today. They of course don't care a toss that the loss of Bounty will affect Recruitment and Retention in the TA today, as they are out now. Selfish Tw@ts.

If they didn't like it at the time, they could have taken out a tax-deductible Private Pension, like many people did (including me). If they didn't do that, it's their tough luck - why should I as a taxpayer cough up for their ignorance and lack of foresight?

Oh, and the Australian version of the TA get Tax-Free pay for all training, even Drill Nights and Weekends. But again, that is the Australian Army, not the British Army. I'm sure that other Armies around the world get various good things as perks, but none of this is really the point. TA Service is non-pensionable, and always has been. If you don't like it, you don't have to join....

/Rant mode Off. But, as you can see, this really, really grips my shite.

3. Old Snowy - its a news story

but if they can get a pension then why not us (by the way - I am out now and it dosen't really concern me as they would never backdate it). The Bounty argument is bollox - we were always told it was to make up for the X factor but we all know its a cash cow to keep reserves turning up on drill nights and weekends - a bit like a Christmas bonus in civvy street so companies don't lose their skills base.

The UK Gov could pay both bounty and pensions - don't believe all what Swiss Tony's civil servants at the MoD tell you!

4. The-daddy has a point. In this new age of greater mobilisation, increased training standards and ongoing support to the Regular Army (IRs, FTRS etc), the Army should expect tp pay more. Bounty is from a past era and has no place as a replacement for a legitimate pension earning position given the parlous state of our pension futures these days.

Bring it on I say...

5. we all know it would be worthless ,but,anything which upsets mod gets my vote . :D

6. Obviously, you really should go because constipation is getting to you. Well F**ing well done for you and your little personal pension plan, hope the pair of you are very happy together.

Needless to say i believe we should get one, present policy goes against the spirit of the law if not being illegal itself. HMG would not allow any other company or large organisation to treat its part time workers this way.

TA pay just about covers the cost of being in the TA, buys a bit of extra kit and a small payment into the household. The bounty is something to be spent on family because without their support we probably would not be able to stay in.

Just because things are a certain way when we join does not mean they should not change, or else we would still have flogging. Things change and there is no reason why it always has to be for the worse, changes can also be good.

Cardinal

7. I would just like to point out the following from the article

If the TA were to get a pension similar to the Canadian model would it be a case of them PAYING in to it, rather than the Regs version?

Before thinking that Canada is a bed of roses (and it is depending on your view) remember that they also require women and men on maternity/paternity leave to be paid a certain amount of their pay. I believe the public sector workers (females at least) are on about 80%+ of their wage, tax free so they are on more than when they are actually working.

This all has to be funded by someone.

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I'm really surprised that your TA doesn't get a pension for serving 20 or 30 years. I was unaware that this was so.

The USA's Reserve and National Guard grants a pension for service, although it is somewhat reduced form a full time member's retirement pay and only starts when you reach the age 60.

The Reserve/Guard retiree also, recieves full bennies just like the full time retiree. To include PX, Commisary, Travel and more importantly medical coverage.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/reserveretirmentpay/a/reserveretire.htm

http://arpc.afrc.af.mil/retirements/ResRetGenInfo.asp

9. Why not? That equates to 2 or 3 years in the regs and we dont get a pension. Why should they get a pension for a hobby and part time job?

10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

As that Japenese fellow once said: "So sorry, please!"

As per my message we do and I 'm enjoying it! To bad you're Lads can't! :roll: :wink:

11. Don't be sorry - I'm not. I'll be getting a full pension because I've done a full career of 22 yrs (24 in total). They chose to be in green kit as a hobby and part time. Should they get a pension? No fcuking way.

12. They do get a pension... for their FTRS time.

13. So we work 9-5 Mon -> Fri and then put in overtime as TA at weekends at cheap rates. Yes we are that stupid.

or do we deserve a pension more

14. Two choices:

1. Leave the TA
    2. Join the regular army

simple really if you have a hang up about lack of pension!

15. Your choice. Like it or lump it. If I worked a couple of weekends a year stacking shelves at Tesco's (as a hobby because tins in straight lines give me wood) would I be eligible for a pension? No.

At the end of the day you're civilians who wear green kit as a hobby, it's not a way of life for 22+ years. Thats complete years, 365 days a years not selected weekends and a fortnight away on the pish.