Canadian Rangers Lee Enfield rifles to be sold off.

Tall story then? The bear certainly was.

If it was a single shot anything it was still a pretty cool act.

As a kid used to wander round the farm in Kenya with a BSA single shot Martini action .22, we had plenty of leopard and looking back now realise that I was pretty lucky as they go for young anything and I wouldn’t have stood a chance had one decided to try.

That still makes the holes about .38" or thereabouts.
She may, or somebody with her may, have been carrying something a little bit too big for grouse hunting.
Out of season maybe.
Or a not allowed pistol, for those up close shots.

ugly

LE
She may, or somebody with her may, have been carrying something a little bit too big for grouse hunting.
Out of season maybe.
Or a not allowed pistol, for those up close shots.
Back then war trophy weapons were more common.

ugly

LE
As an Inuit they would qualify as subsistence farmers and not required a license or hunting permit!
My Great Uncle was hounded for a few years over a walther .25 pistol he brought back in 1945 and had swopped for a Savage .303(the rimless cartridge) as when he had done it they weren't licensed but later they wanted to track down where it had come from. Not that a .25 is more deadly than a .22 WMR but its plausible.

ugly

LE
Well spotted.

That still makes the holes about .38" or thereabouts.
Apparently the "score" used by trophy hunters for bears comes from adding the length to the width. Length and width are measured with a set of calipers.

If however I scale the actual length to the smallest bullet hole, I get roughly 0.31 inches in diameter. The bullets may be smaller than the largest hole, but they won't be be bigger than the smallest hole.

However, keep in mind the following.
  • A plus or minus 10% error is inherent just from pixel resolution. The hole I scaled it to was only about 9 pixels across.
  • The bullet may punch out a hole of larger diameter than the bullet calibre. Thick, dense bone in a large bear skull may not break cleanly, resulting in a larger hole.
  • Also the unjacketed bullet may mushroom somewhat on impact, resulting in a larger hole.
  • Bone shrinks as it dries, which may make the holes somewhat bigger.
Given all of the above, .22 calibre sounds plausible.

ugly

LE
.303 Savage was/is rimmed, on a par with the .30 Winchester.
I think with a somewhat heavier bullet.
Very unique rifle.
Over here maybe, over there not rare just not common.