Canadian looking to switch Armies

jatt47

Swinger
Thinking of getting out of the Infantry in Canada, and coming over to the UK.
Main draws are climate, bases close to population centers, better gear & regimental culture.

Wondering if I can get feedback from other Canadians who've made the switch, and/or any lifestyle changes.
I understand the houses are smaller in the UK, the pay is worse, and costs are higher.

However, given that you're always posted close to major cities your spouse can work unlike the CAF.

Main draws are climate, bases close to population centers, better gear & regimental culture.

Wondering if I can get feedback from other Canadians who've made the switch, and/or any lifestyle changes.
I understand the houses are smaller in the UK, the pay is worse, and costs are higher.

However, given that you're always posted close to major cities your spouse can work unlike the CAF.

With me, my wife is ex Canadian navy.
When I served she said the houses in the UK were far shitter and smaller.
She did have a manual job in B&Q (big garden type store) but that's when we lived in Aldershot, the place before was in the arse end of nowhere and there wasn't much on offer. You are not always posted that close to major cities and some employets are well aware of "wives of" who might leave due to postings and avoid them.
Her pay when she was a PO was more than mine when I was Sgt.
She was telling me how she got a week's leave to find private housing at her new unit and financial help when selling her house if it was at a loss, you'll get nothing similar in the British Army.
It's swings and roundabouts, it all depends on what you like, but in my 24 years, there were very few soldiers from Canada, New Zealand and Australia, but there were a lot of Brits trying to join them.

jatt47

Swinger
With me, my wife is ex Canadian navy.
When I served she said the houses in the UK were far shitter and smaller.
She did have a manual job in B&Q (big garden type store) but that's when we lived in Aldershot, the place before was in the arse end of nowhere and there wasn't much on offer. You are not always posted that close to major cities and some employets are well aware of "wives of" who might leave due to postings and avoid them.
Her pay when she was a PO was more than mine when I was Sgt.
She was telling me how she got a week's leave to find private housing at her new unit and financial help when selling her house if it was at a loss, you'll get nothing similar in the British Army.
It's swings and roundabouts, it all depends on what you like, but in my 24 years, there were very few soldiers from Canada, New Zealand and Australia, but there were a lot of Brits trying to join them.
The army is really pc which turns to outright hatred against certain groups. I figure I get less of that in the UK as an Sikh.

I just know what I don't want to do which is the CAF. I'm almost done my online degree, and I can try applying to NZ & Aus as well.

I'm pretty open to wherever is ok with uncut hair.

The army is really pc which turns to outright hatred against certain groups. I figure I get less of that in the UK as an Sikh.

Probably not, the army does a lot of fawning to minority groups.

I just know what I don't want to do which is the CAF. I'm almost done my online degree, and I can try applying to NZ & Aus as well.

I'm pretty open to wherever is ok with uncut hair.

I had a friend who joined the aussie army as a Cpl, she said she was treated much better and paid better than the British Army.

Some Sikhs opinion.

Spend a leave or two in the UK and witness the shitness. Then make a decision....

I wouldn't touch the British Army with a bargepole these days, and would never live in the UK again. I've been to Canada a few times and enjoyed it. Winters aside, it looks way better than the UK.

ETA: This thread is worth half an hour of your time.

jatt47

Swinger
Probably not, the army does a lot of fawning to minority groups.

I had a friend who joined the aussie army as a Cpl, she said she was treated much better and paid better than the British Army.

Some Sikhs opinion.

They do that here, but there's no underlying buy-in from the society.
Australia might be ok, but I like the Old World for some reason - grass is greener.

Spend a leave or two in the UK and witness the shitness. Then make a decision....

I wouldn't touch the British Army with a bargepole these days, and would never live in the UK again. I've been to Canada a few times and enjoyed it. Winters aside, it looks way better than the UK.

ETA: This thread is worth half an hour of your time.
Will do, although it can't be any worse than Toronto which has all of the above + outright ideological hostility between different factions of 'sissy' and 'crybaby'.

edit - May 27 212hrs You make a good point, I sort of forget Britain isn't a 'land-based' power. This would be like joining the Canadian Navy. :barf:

Last edited:

Latest Threads