CANADIAN FORCES "HIGHWAY OF HEROES"

Signed, shame our country doesn't have the same respect for our fallen who fly into Brize Norton.

I know I am cynical but I cannot see the Government naming a road for Kempsford to Whelford, for our fallen servicemen, or even the A417.

I am afraid someone hit the nail on the head. Our current government seem to be doing all they can to undermine the whole of the armed forces, and in particular the injured and fallen. I do not know of any other western government that shuns it military so openly and blatantly. NO wonder we cannot recruit or get support.

AND --- if only the tories had a strong powerful leader (preferrably in the Paddy Ashdown mould, i.e. ex military, honest, strong- willed and speaks openly), we just might have a chance at the next election of doing something for our armed forces

bobos said:
I know I am cynical but I cannot see the Government naming a road for Kempsford to Whelford, for our fallen servicemen, or even the A417.

I am afraid someone hit the nail on the head. Our current government seem to be doing all they can to undermine the whole of the armed forces, and in particular the injured and fallen. I do not know of any other western government that shuns it military so openly and blatantly. NO wonder we cannot recruit or get support.
And yet they keep insisting that all is well and we have no recruiting problems. I think someone is telling Porkies don't you :(

I'm sure the tories looked after the Falkland and NI vets during their terms in office................bo**ox

Oh and Gulf 1,tories were in charge then weren't they.GWS was on their watch,no help from the tory government for vets there.

Unless it gets them votes, ALL politicians, regardless of party are shite when it comes to treating our service personnel with respect and honour.

They only spark with mock sincerity when it looks like it'll costs them a lot of votes. The people as a whole don't care that much about the forces as long as they have petrol for their cars.

As a result, no reason for the pollies to give a "pretend" shite in this case either.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
IIRC I saw a peice on one of the news channels of the Mayor of Wooten Basset and a line of people lining the road outside Lyneham
So maybe some cares

saintstone said:
Signed, shame our country doesn't have the same respect for our fallen who fly into Brize Norton.

MoD website not showing any of the repatriation ceremonies either.

Locals up nearby Lynham regulary doff caps when the convoy comes by. :cry:

See this is wiltshire for details.

Signed.. Make a land fit for Heroes, Canada was built by heroes. My signature was 38342. Hope there is many more

My first post here, been reading from Canada for awhile now. By way of intro, my handle says it all. My Dad was one of yours, Royal Norfolks, and my Granddad was with the Canadian Army, RCD's...

Might take a bit of time to become 'totally official', however, it's now underway:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=0354221f-f788-41ed-9096-6c13b91b3a47

We simply started e-mailing/texting, etc. each other, then the media started picking up on it, till the creaky ears on high paid attention. Here's what our local media does: http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/breaking_news/article/84946

till next, OldBrat

Christ...maybe I will sack it off and move to Canada with the missus.

Do they take Brit soldiers in the CF?

It's quote a site to see average citizens, Police, Fire and Ambulance crew line the bridges over the highway as the hearses pass underneath. And many people are now draping flags from the bridges as the process passes.

Never thought I'd see Canadians supporting our troops, I was bloody well spat on when I served.

Greetings usmarox.
Just in case that wasn’t an idle question, and hopefully without going totally off topic here and risk getting turfed so early on, I’ll respectfully respond and then quietly return to ‘lurkreading’/much needed laughter therapy on the other threads.

Anyone currently in the CF here would likely be able to provide you w/ better info, but given many of them are, like far too many of you, awfully busy at the moment, I’ll humbly offer a few links, rather than copy/paste the long dry bits and possibly eat up bandwidth.

As a possible caveat regarding such a 'cunning plan', my British born father joined up in Canada, transferred to the British Army upon arrival in the UK, and ultimately ended up in Burma.

Main CF recruiting site…:
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/noncanadians_en.aspx?bhcp=1

This link is interesting; the implications/opportunities will likely be fuller to you than I. CF & BA Personnel: Loan, arrangement, exchange or attachment:
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/223-11_e.asp

A friend of mine currently going through this has muttered things about alchemy and animal sacrifice to perhaps speed things up, practices of which might be no problem for several people here, given the highly delightful reading I have done to date on this site.

….Off to buy plastic keyboard cover so I may continue technically intact.

Wishing you and yours good fortune and success in all your endeavours…

Old Brat

There is also the "Wear Red on Friday" movement in Canada - individuals can show their support of the troops (note - troops, not policy) by wearing something red on Fridays.