Canadian Elections Around The Corner . . .

There is a lot of speculation going around that Scheer is avoiding Doug Ford deliberately during the campaign to having some of Ford's unpopularity rub off on him.
Where's Doug Ford? That was one of the more persistent questions hurled at Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer during his mini-tour through Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area in the early days of the federal election campaign.

Ontario's Progressive Conservative premier certainly wasn't with Scheer on Wednesday night at Tory candidate Ted Opitz's campaign office, which is just blocks away from Ford's Etobicoke home.

"I would have thought that Mr. Ford should be here as well because this is his area," said Ruth Abraham, who worked on Ford's campaign and attended Wednesday's event. "I'm not sure why he's not coming, if he just wants to stay clear of the federal [race]."
Ford has indeed been absent from all of Scheer's appearances in the province, including the Conservative leader's campaign kickoff in Vaughan-Woodbridge last week, and a previous stop in Etobicoke, where Ford holds his provincial seat.

It has raised questions as to whether Scheer is deliberately avoiding Ford, who has seen his popularity drop since his own election in June 2018.
Apparently some federal Conservatives have been saying that if they do lose the election, it will be because of Doug Ford.
But as Vassy Kapelos, host of CBC's Power & Politics, recently noted, some federal Conservatives have been telling people privately that if the party does lose the election, it will be due to Doug Ford.
Scheer denies avoiding Ford.
Meanwhile, when asked, Scheer has brushed off suggestions that he's deliberately avoiding the Ontario premier.

"That's just completely false," he said in Mississauga, Ont., last week. "We're going to be all over the province of Ontario and the people who have worked to replace Liberals at the provincial level are obviously going to work to replace Liberals at the federal level."
Bur Ford himself says that Scheer's campaign team haven't contacted him for support.
Ford himself addressed the issue on Tuesday at a rural expo in northern Ontario. When questioned about whether Scheer's campaign had contacted him, Ford replied, "Can't say they have."
The Liberals however are making efforts to draw to the voters' attention the political links between Scheer and Ford.
But what may make Ford's absence more significant is that part of the Liberal campaign, in their quest to win vote-rich Ontario, has been to link Ford with Scheer, arguing the Conservative leader will govern much like the Ontario premier.

Controversial actions by Ford, including cuts to services in the province, have been followed by plunging poll numbers. Even before the federal election call, it has prompted Liberals to try and tie the two together, casting them as political soulmates.

Last month, for example, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau spoke how the middle class can't "afford another Doug Ford" during a rally of Liberal candidates.
And that may be having an effect, with Conservatives doing door knocking getting an earful from voters about Ford, even though the latter is provincial rather than federal.
And, at least in the short term, that link may be working, suggested one Conservative supporter.

Neil McAlister, who is on the board of the Durham Conservative Association, said that through knocking on doors, he's learning that the Liberals seem to be doing a good job of confusing voters about provincial and federal government responsibilities.

"I have had people who ought to know better, when I knock on the door, who say, 'We're school teachers so we won't vote Conservative.' Well, education is a provincial responsibility and the federal government has nothing to do with that," he said.

"I talk to people who do not understand that the Conservative Party of Canada is a different political party from the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario."
It's too soon to say though whether this will influence how people actually vote.
Kathy Brock, a political scientist at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., said it's still difficult to say if the Liberal strategy of linking Ford to Scheer will ultimately succeed in scaring votes away from the Conservatives.

"In the 905 area, there's a large swath of people who support Doug Ford still," Brock said. "In some of the other ridings, where people are a little disaffected or feel he hasn't represented them, it might cost Scheer."

What's all with this Trudeau's brown face pic trending in the news?
Apparently he idolized the Black and White Minstrel Show as a child, and spent both his high school years, and drama teacher years "blacking up" am singing de old gospel roun' de fire. Either that or he is challenging the leader of the NDP to a "who has the biggest comedy turban?" competition.

Apparently he idolized the Black and White Minstrel Show as a child, and spent both his high school years, and drama teacher years "blacking up" am singing de old gospel roun' de fire. Either that or he is challenging the leader of the NDP to a "who has the biggest comedy turban?" competition.
Guess he didn't have a golliwog doll to play with...

Are you sure that photo's from 2001? I thought it was a pic of his trip to India where he embarrassed the country yet again.

An ex-Canadian intelligence chap that I know rather well often speculates as to whether anyone will ever find out about Trudeau's alleged* drug dealing business from his younger years.

*My word not his

An ex-Canadian intelligence chap that I know rather well often speculates as to whether anyone will ever find out about Trudeau's alleged* drug dealing business from his younger years.

*My word not his
I've not heard a peep about anything like that in the press, so I would take such a story with a grain of salt unless you have a link. So far as I am aware "ex-Canadian intelligence chaps" don't get involved in small time drug investigations, so I'm not sure your friend has any more insight on that than any random person does.

If you are looking for scandal though, the Globe and Mail reported a few years ago that a *very* prominent Conservative whom along with his brother was a mid-level drug dealer (supplier and distributor, not street level dealer) in his younger days. They were also involved in a kidnapping over a "business debt", but police had to drop the charges when the kidnapping victim declined to testify. He also has links with people involved in other crimes in more recent years, including drug dealing, murder, assaults (beating up witnesses), etc. He is currently involved in a lawsuit accusing him of embezzling funds from a relative, but as I don't find either of them particularly credible I'm not sure who to believe on that one.

Said prominent person complained to the Press Complaints Commission (press regulatory board) about the drug dealing story. They looked into it and said they didn't see any grounds for complaint - i.e. they found the news report met the expected standards of accuracy. Said person then dropped the issue and declined to take the case to court for libel.

None of this seemed to hurt his political career. He subsequently rose to very high political office where he is now, much to the dismay of the party establishment. He is currently embroiled in numerous more mundane scandals involving nepotism and misuse of public funds for personal purposes.

He has an absolutely fanatical following amongst the fringe elements of the party who don't seem to care what he does so long as he tells them things they like to hear. His devotees will not hear of anything negative about him and react with fabricated accusations against political rivals (direct or indirect) as deflection attacks whenever any of the above is brought up.

He has a personal brand that is independent of the party and prominent national level Conservatives find themselves from time to time appearing in his political stronghold to receive his blessing in order to court his supporters for themselves.

The party leadership seems to be in complete despair over the situation. They want to get rid of him, but he is seen as too useful to get rid of. I also think they are fearful that if they kick him out of the Conservative Party he will simply found his own party based on his personal brand and turn on them.

I'm not going to name names but all Canadians know who he is and typing his name and "drug dealer" into Google will turn up news stories from very reputable news organisations about it. I will spare the ARRSE site owners the headache of dealing with any potential future flack by not naming him however.

In case you were wondering, the Globe and Mail is probably Canada's most reputable newspaper and is closely associated with the major business community and are long time supporters of the Conservative Party.

In the apology I saw this morning, he states he was dressed as Aladdin.So that's ok then.

*My word not his
I do wonder if they can't dig up something a bit better than this.

All sorts of huffings and puffings of outrage about racism and resignation demands for someone dressing up as the lead character from a fictional folk tale. Expect a hundred Christmas pantos to be cancelled this year. Apart from the fact that anyone over the age of ten who has anything to do with fancy dress parties needs a severe talking to and a slap, is it really the best that they have on him?

He wasn't belittling anyone or caricaturing them by exaggerating physical features or racial traits. The most he can be accused of is being a bit of a sad sack.

Woke idiocy... or political posturing? Same thing, really.

All sorts of huffings and puffings of outrage about racism and resignation demands for someone dressing up as the lead character from a fictional folk tale. Expect a hundred Christmas pantos to be cancelled this year. Apart from the fact that anyone over the age of ten who has anything to do with fancy dress parties needs a severe talking to and a slap, is it really the best that they have on him?

He wasn't belittling anyone or caricaturing them by exaggerating physical features or racial traits. The most he can be accused of is being a bit of a sad sack.

That being said, if it had been the Tory leader who had been in that photo, our progressive brethren would be calling on him to step down, the Tories would be smeared as a hotbed of racism and white supremacy, parliamentary inquiries would be demanded, etc, etc.

The Liberal party deserves to have some of this very same type of asininity thrown back in their face.

I've not heard a peep about anything like that in the press, so I would take such a story with a grain of salt unless you have a link. So far as I am aware "ex-Canadian intelligence chaps" don't get involved in small time drug investigations, so I'm not sure your friend has any more insight on that than any random person does.

If you are looking for scandal though, the Globe and Mail reported a few years ago that a *very* prominent Conservative whom along with his brother was a mid-level drug dealer (supplier and distributor, not street level dealer) in his younger days. They were also involved in a kidnapping over a "business debt", but police had to drop the charges when the kidnapping victim declined to testify. He also has links with people involved in other crimes in more recent years, including drug dealing, murder, assaults (beating up witnesses), etc. He is currently involved in a lawsuit accusing him of embezzling funds from a relative, but as I don't find either of them particularly credible I'm not sure who to believe on that one.

Said prominent person complained to the Press Complaints Commission (press regulatory board) about the drug dealing story. They looked into it and said they didn't see any grounds for complaint - i.e. they found the news report met the expected standards of accuracy. Said person then dropped the issue and declined to take the case to court for libel.

None of this seemed to hurt his political career. He subsequently rose to very high political office where he is now, much to the dismay of the party establishment. He is currently embroiled in numerous more mundane scandals involving nepotism and misuse of public funds for personal purposes.

He has an absolutely fanatical following amongst the fringe elements of the party who don't seem to care what he does so long as he tells them things they like to hear. His devotees will not hear of anything negative about him and react with fabricated accusations against political rivals (direct or indirect) as deflection attacks whenever any of the above is brought up.

He has a personal brand that is independent of the party and prominent national level Conservatives find themselves from time to time appearing in his political stronghold to receive his blessing in order to court his supporters for themselves.

The party leadership seems to be in complete despair over the situation. They want to get rid of him, but he is seen as too useful to get rid of. I also think they are fearful that if they kick him out of the Conservative Party he will simply found his own party based on his personal brand and turn on them.

I'm not going to name names but all Canadians know who he is and typing his name and "drug dealer" into Google will turn up news stories from very reputable news organisations about it. I will spare the ARRSE site owners the headache of dealing with any potential future flack by not naming him however.

In case you were wondering, the Globe and Mail is probably Canada's most reputable newspaper and is closely associated with the major business community and are long time supporters of the Conservative Party.
When it comes to politics, you have a mania about Doug Ford. Have you ever sought out therapy?

You are not a contributor to the Ford election fund I take it. I could guarantee that it would not be a trivial matter if it was a Conservative in those pictures, the Liberal population would be baying for blood, amongst other things. I can only take from your statement that you are a follower of the Trudeau personality cult, yes?

What's all with this Trudeau's brown face pic trending in the news?
Jezza Corbyn is going to be terribly conflicted now re: young Justin:

Pros - not just a lefty, but the lovechild of Jezza's all-time hero Fidel;
Cons - repeated offences in brownface/blackface, and taught at a private school.

What is the poor chap to do?

Jezza Corbyn is going to be terribly conflicted now re: young Justin:

Pros - not just a lefty, but the lovechild of Jezza's all-time hero Fidel;
Cons - repeated offences in brownface/blackface, and taught at a private school.

What is the poor chap to do?
Yes, I forgot that 48 is now the new 25.

It’s not about it being racist, it’s simply about his hypocrisy. He has had no issue with calling others racist for things that have nothing to do with race in the past whenever it suites his agenda. In 2001 wearing blackface in Canada was considered racist, it’s not a new thing over here that just started recently......

Latest Threads