Canadian Elections Around The Corner . . .

The Green Party is suffering from multiple embarrassments after it turns out that their candidates include separatists and anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish racists.

Prat falls of this sort are not unknown amongst other parties, but they are more common with smaller parties who have less of an organisation who can vet candidates to weed out the loonies as well as less of a pool of potential candidates to choose from.

None the less, to have this many in the course of a couple of days will not help the Green Party's image amongst their potential voting base.

A day after Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said her star recruit in Quebec is not a sovereignist, Pierre Nantel said that's simply not true.

"Of course I'm a sovereignist, everyone knows, and that's always been the case," Nantel said Thursday in an interview with CBC's French-language service, Radio Canada.
The Green Party has turfed one of its Ontario candidates over an old social media post in which he spoke about sending a pig carcass to Muslims.

Erik Schomann, who was the party's candidate in Simcoe North, posted a photo of himself helping to roast a pig, with the caption: "We sent the leftovers to Denmark in support of the protesters of the Muhammad comic."
The Canadian Jewish News reported that her past posts called Israel "practically a serial rapist" and Zionism a "made-up cult" and stated that Israelis need "mental health workers" to help with "getting over" their post-traumatic stress from the Holocaust.

Thanks for the analysis Terminal, much better than the actual media where there is the natural political slant depending on which side they are on.

Thanks for the analysis Terminal, much better than the actual media where there is the natural political slant depending on which side they are on.
Don't forget that Elizabeth May is allegedly a sozzled old boozehound, hence why she said that Omar Khadr had "more fcuking class and dignity than the whole Canadian cabinet" back in 2015 in front of Parliamentary Press Gallery's annual shindig.

clothears

War Hero
Don't forget that Elizabeth May is allegedly a sozzled old boozehound, hence why she said that Omar Khadr had "more fcuking class and dignity than the whole Canadian cabinet" back in 2015 in front of Parliamentary Press Gallery's annual shindig.
Omar spends a lot of time in my area. He's gone past me a couple of times in a very nice SUV.

It is now late Sunday afternoon and since Friday I have received 4 calls from the Liberal party asking if they can count on my support and place a campaign since on my property. The first couple of times I was polite, after that it went downhill as they couldn’t fathom I have no desire to be associated with the party either in policies or leadership.
What struck me was that not one of the callers spoke traditional proper English, everyone had a offshore accent speaking broken English, kinda pathetic just like their leadership.

It is now late Sunday afternoon and since Friday I have received 4 calls from the Liberal party asking if they can count on my support and place a campaign since on my property. The first couple of times I was polite, after that it went downhill as they couldn’t fathom I have no desire to be associated with the party either in policies or leadership.
What struck me was that not one of the callers spoke traditional proper English, everyone had a offshore accent speaking broken English, kinda pathetic just like their leadership.
Political parties these days are making use of call centres, robo-callers, and mass text messaging to do a lot of basic canvassing. Very often what they are mainly interested in is finding out information about your voting intentions so they can put it in their database and use it to help plan strategy. Hence all the text messages that we keep getting from "Sue" or "Lisa" from the Conservatives supposedly asking you to reply with a text message giving your opinion one some issue. What they're really doing is automated data-mining.

Political parties these days are making use of call centres, robo-callers, and mass text messaging to do a lot of basic canvassing. Very often what they are mainly interested in is finding out information about your voting intentions so they can put it in their database and use it to help plan strategy. Hence all the text messages that we keep getting from "Sue" or "Lisa" from the Conservatives supposedly asking you to reply with a text message giving your opinion one some issue. What they're really doing is automated data-mining.
Yes, I understand that, but this group of twäts kept going on specifically about signage, not issues or other tripe, and kept using my full Christian name (which I don’t use)and trying to confirm my address. That info is collected off the voter rolls and knowing my info is most likely going offshore is a bit disheartening.

Yes, I understand that, but this group of twäts kept going on specifically about signage, not issues or other tripe, and kept using my full Christian name (which I don’t use)and trying to confirm my address. That info is collected off the voter rolls and knowing my info is most likely going offshore is a bit disheartening.
Asking you to accept a sign is just one step removed from asking you who you intend to vote for.

You also need to keep in mind that the person on the other end of the line may not be representing the party they say they are representing. You may recall the robo-call scandal of 2011 where "Pierre Poutine" (a Conservative staffer) used their database of who they thought was going to vote for another party to direct those voters to the wrong polling station to try to prevent them from voting. That information about who was likely to vote for whom would have been collected in a variety of ways, including cold calling numbers and asking them questions which could be used to derive their voting intentions.

As for your information going off shore, there's already masses of it there. All sorts of information about you gets collected by all sorts of companies you do business with, including credit cards, grocery store loyalty cards, car finance loans, cell phone contracts, cable TV subscriptions, etc., etc. That gets shipped off to companies who then combine it and resell it to other companies. Businesses have been buying and selling information about you for years, and now political parties are in the market as buyers of information.

clothears

War Hero
I can't remember where you live but just remember the Liberals have always had a strong ethnic base of support. The more cynical are reminding people that the refugee Syrians may be able to vote in this election (citizenship takes 3 years) and they will vote for the party who let them enter. Just like the Ugandans who fled Idi Amin did and those who left Hong Kong before the handover.

I can't remember where you live but just remember the Liberals have always had a strong ethnic base of support. The more cynical are reminding people that the refugee Syrians may be able to vote in this election (citizenship takes 3 years) and they will vote for the party who let them enter. Just like the Ugandans who fled Idi Amin did and those who left Hong Kong before the handover.
I’m in western/south western Ontario, closest thing to a Syrian refugee in this area is the Korean gent who runs the local convenience store.....I just find it irritating how the Liberals are calling continuously, no other party is, reeks of desperation.....

I’m in western/south western Ontario, closest thing to a Syrian refugee in this area is the Korean gent who runs the local convenience store.....I just find it irritating how the Liberals are calling continuously, no other party is, reeks of desperation.....
No calls as yet for me, but I see a lot of Tory campaign signs on local lawns. I've never taken an election sign and likely never will.

No calls as yet for me, but I see a lot of Tory campaign signs on local lawns. I've never taken an election sign and likely never will.
I used to get septic signs for sheriff and judge races when I visited the ex’s family in Michigan and then stick along my fence line, generally they disappeared pretty quick....

I used to get septic signs for sheriff and judge races when I visited the ex’s family in Michigan and then stick along my fence line, generally they disappeared pretty quick....
At a job I did a few weeks ago, the homeowner had a "Vote Perot in 1996" sign in his garage. I'm assuming it's something he stole in NY on a drunken toot.

I'm glad that my hometown's so cheap that we get next to no lawn signs when it comes to municipal elections.

At a job I did a few weeks ago, the homeowner had a "Vote Perot in 1996" sign in his garage. I'm assuming it's something he stole in NY on a drunken toot.

I'm glad that my hometown's so cheap that we get next to no lawn signs when it comes to municipal elections.
Like yourself I can’t be bothered putting up any local candidates signs, it doesn’t really influence anybody’s decision in my opinion.

Like yourself I can’t be bothered putting up any local candidates signs, it doesn’t really influence anybody’s decision in my opinion.
All the signs seem to do is attract unwanted attention or vandalism. At least we no longer get the door to door enumerators anymore.

The People's Party, headed by Maxime Bernier, will now be included in the official election debate held by the official consortium of broadcasters in October. They had originally been excluded while the debate commission studied whether they met the criteria for inclusion. They submitted more information which apparently satisfied the debate commission in that respect.
The official Leaders' Debates Commission has decided to invite Maxime Bernier, leader of the People's Party of Canada, to participate in the English and French debates that will be televised next month.

"You have satisfied me that you intend to field candidates in 90 per cent of ridings and, based on recent political context, public opinion polls and previous general election results, I consider that more than one candidate of your party has a legitimate chance to be elected," David Johnston, the former governor general who leads the commission, wrote to Bernier on Monday.
Bernier is currently the party's only member of parliament. The party was formed when Bernier split off from the Conservative Party after losing the leadership race to Scheer. Bernier had led the race through multiple rounds of voting up until the final vote when he was narrowly passed by Scheer.

Both the Conservatives and the NDP are unhappy with the idea of the People's Party being included in the debate. Bernier will raise questions about immigration and multi-culturalism which the Conservatives and the NDP would rather not discuss during an election period.

The Liberals were non-committal in their response to the development. However there have been previous reports which said that the Liberals may stand to benefit from any dissension the People's Party platform may cause in Conservative ranks, a proportion of which is very sympathetic to the ideas of the People's Party. This is particularly the case in Quebec where the recently elected CAQ government were elected on a platform which is broadly similar to that of Bernier's party and these issues are near the top of the election issues for voters there.

I'm not going to comment on the People's Party in general other than to say that being included in the official election debate is a big positive for them and increases their chances of doing reasonably well in the election. "Reasonably well" for the People's Party would be to pick up a few seats. There is no real prospect of them becoming a major party at this time.

As a minor addition to my previous post about Benier's People's Party being included in the debates, the leader of the Green Party, Elizabeth May, has said that while she doesn't agree with Bernier's policies she feels it is fair that he be included in the debates.
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said the move to include Bernier in the televised English and French debates next month was a "fair decision."

"You couldn't find two party leaders more diametrically opposed than Max Bernier and me. But he has a right to be in the debates," said May at a campaign stop at the University of Waterloo.

"It's a fair decision ... And I respect it."
The separatist Bloc Québécois, lead by Yves-François Blanchet, on the other hand are not happy about Bernier's inclusion in the debates.
Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet questioned Bernier's inclusion in the debates.

"I do believe that there might be some democratic principles involved here allowing Mr. Bernier to be part of the debates," Blanchet said Tuesday in Longueuil, Que. "However, there are many parties in Canada which have never got anybody elected, which are not invited. So how come Mr. Bernier is there and others are not there?.

"That's kind of uncertain as a decision. But I am not the one to make the rules."
So to summarise, the Liberals aren't fans of Bernier, but have not openly opposed his party''s inclusion. The Green party have said they are opposed to the policies of the People's Party but feel it is fair that they be included in the debates.

On the other side of the question The Conservatives and NDP strongly oppose the People's Party being included, while the Bloc Québécois appear to be mildly opposed.

clothears

War Hero
Justin has just been exposed in black face when he was teaching. He calls it makeup. Wonder how it will go down with the ethnic base that the Liberals love.

Well, Trudeau can't be all bad I guess! Obviously struck by my good looks and success with women! Needs to work on the lips a bit more.

Screenshot_20190918-173956.png

Looking a little gropey with that student!

clothears

War Hero
Well, Trudeau can't be all bad I guess! Obviously struck by my good looks and success with women! Needs to work on the lips a bit more.

View attachment 417836

Looking a little gropey with that student!
The big question on the news was who is he resting his hand on. Does the chest belong to a student or his date. It looks like a fun time, he's either a rotten date who is not PC or blackfaced groper of students

Latest Threads