• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Canadian dressing stations in WW1 Bapaume

SWMBO's grandad was hit in the head by shrapnel and then shot in the head whilst being stretchered to the FAP. He survived with a silver plate in his skull and with limited vision. He was looked after by St Dunstans until his death in 1948 aged 59. A trip is planned to go to Zonnebeke where he was injured in 1915. His son, aged 93, son-in-law aged 75 and me aged 70. I dunno whether we'll all make it, 3 doddery old cnuts on the lash in Belgium.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
SWMBO's grandad was hit in the head by shrapnel and then shot in the head whilst being stretchered to the FAP. He survived with a silver plate in his skull and with limited vision. He was looked after by St Dunstans until his death in 1948 aged 59. A trip is planned to go to Zonnebeke where he was injured in 1915. His son, aged 93, son-in-law aged 75 and me aged 70. I dunno whether we'll all make it, 3 doddery old cnuts on the lash in Belgium.
Last year I followed my Maternal Grandfathers footsteps through France and Belgium, I took my nephew along, we had lots of fun, I wrote it up for an online magazine

Funny old world. My great and formidable Great Aunt Winifred Gedyze MBE, ARRC and toss in an MID for good measure was Matron at St Dunstans for 5 years after her retirement from the QAIMNS in 1931 she marched off into retirement in 1945.

Funny old world. My great and formidable Great Aunt Winifred Gedyze MBE, ARRC and toss in an MID for good measure was Matron at St Dunstans for 5 years after her retirement from the QAIMNS in 1931 she marched off into retirement in 1945.
Funny indeed, I volunteer at the HQ in Brighton and one of the blokes I visit married a woman who used to live opposite SWMBO when she was a girl.

Good luck with your quest Joshua, my Grandfather got back, admittedly badly wounded. I've been trying to find out where he was wounded, so I could go and take a look. But the same as you, his records where destroyed in the Blitz. His Regts War diary only mentions "how many troops" were wounded, KIA or MIA. And doesn't really mention what part of the lines they were holding.

Good luck with your quest Joshua, my Grandfather got back, admittedly badly wounded. I've been trying to find out where he was wounded, so I could go and take a look. But the same as you, his records where destroyed in the Blitz. His Regts War diary only mentions "how many troops" were wounded, KIA or MIA. And doesn't really mention what part of the lines they were holding.
The Great War forum is the answer, there are people on there who will love a challenge like that.

With which Battalion did he serve?

It's a bit of a long shot, but a smattering of units in 14-18 were home to multiple first rate post-war chroniclers of their wartime doings. There'd mebbe be mileage in that line of inquiry (by cross referencing CWGC documents against the details in one of Carrington's books about his BN of Warwicks in WW1, I was able to locate very precisely on the ground the location at which the great grandfather of a colleague was fatally wounded. You might also get lucky)

I can't believe it!
Victor Meldrew.jpg

With which Battalion did he serve?

It's a bit of a long shot, but a smattering of units in 14-18 were home to multiple first rate post-war chroniclers of their wartime doings. There'd mebbe be mileage in that line of inquiry (by cross referencing CWGC documents against the details in one of Carrington's books about his BN of Warwicks in WW1, I was able to locate very precisely on the ground the location at which the great grandfather of a colleague was fatally wounded. You might also get lucky)
7th Northants. I’m sure they are a Service Battalion.

You should discuss bit of research, looking for books containing first hand accounts of the war, by former 7th Bn members. Chances are that most will not be well written, but you may just strike lucky, and find one or two that will fill in a blank here or there

Hope this helps, its been shamelessly stolen and all credit for these references goes to Gloria.

If you're interested in the 7th Bn., there's a recent book on it (so relatively easy to find) called the
"The Mobbs Own. The 7th Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment. 1914-1918" By David Woodall.

The War Diaries of the 7th Battalion can be found at the National Archives, Kew, under the reference WO 95/2218. 73rd Brigade diaries (Ref. WO 95/2217) are also available for a better overview of things.

Norman Holding, in his reference book "The Location of British Army records. A national directory of World War Sources" (published by the Federation of Family History Societies, 1987, second edition), suggests these further titles which may be found in libraries, archives and Record Offices:

"History of the raising of the 7th (Service) Bn. Northamptonshire Regt." By Guy Paget. Gale and Polden, 1915

"The Northamptonshire Regt. 1914-1918" By Lt. Col. Russell Gurney. Aldershot: Gale and Polden 1935

"History of the Northamptonshire Regt. 1742-1934" Aldershot: Gale and Polden 1932

The War Diaries of the 7th Battalion can be found at the National Archives, Kew, under the reference WO 95/2218.
It's possible that the War Diaries may have been transcribed and digitised. Again, Great War forum is a good place to ask around for if and where to go to get eyes on a soft copy.