Canadian BG becomes I Corps

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Chief_Joseph, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Canadian General is serving as acting Deputy Commander of I-Corps. I haven't heard recently of foreign officers taking such a high profile position on an American base (though the article says he's the third), and I was pleasantly surprised to learn about it.

http://www.nwguardian.com/103/story/4855.html

2. If I recall correctly on 9/11 (or 11/9 as the British say) the Commander of Norad was on leave or otherwise unavailable and the Canadian deputy had control of North American airspace.

Then again, either that day or the next, with nothing civvy flying, I saw two fighters in a combat air patrol over Boston. They were low enough to see red maple leaves on the wings. At a very bad time for the US it was sort of an emotional experience to see friends helping.

Any Canadians reading: Thanks guys !! Meant a lot.

(note: support for Canadians does not include the Montreal Canadiens on days they play the Boston Bruins)

Edited to add: I recall that there are joint commands based here in the states. SACLANT is a NATO command based in Norfolk, VA.. SACLANT is always a US Admiral and the deputy is always, as far as i know, a Royal Navy Vice Admiral. The wife was at SACLANT for a few weeks at the start of Desert Shield and there were a good number of RN types assigned there. I recall seeing the British flag outside his home in "Flag Country" on the base. Nice house too!!

3. He swung by to give a speech at my units' Award Ceremony 2 days ago and I got a chance to meet him. Top bloke (even if his speech seemed more like a lecture on Failed States and the need for flexible military leaders, than an award ceremony speech)