Canadas Top Soldier Plans to Step Down

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by niner_domestic, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm heartbroken that our CDS is planning on retiring by July 1, 2008. General Rick Hillier has done a fabulous job as the CDS. I'm hoping that he runs for a seat in the Government. He's got my vote.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080415/hillier_announcement_080415/20080415?hub=TopStories

Tons of speculation here on who is going to be his replacement. Navy and AF are going to be vying for the spot as the feel the CF has become too Army centric and want a kick at the can to pull back some of the command structure changes. Personally, I think the job will go to either the Vice CDS who is a man cut from the same cloth as Hillier or General Leslie.

Who ever it is, will have a hard job (or easy depending how you look at it) to follow in Hillier's footsteps. Hillier was one of the most popular CDS with the troops in a long time. The guy has charisma coming out of every newfie pore on his body.

2. This is going to make it very hard to celebrate Canada Day.
    :cry:

3. As a UK serviceman I can say that I was very impressed by your CDS when he was in KAF. Huge presence and very convincing. I am sure that there will be many Canadians who will be very sorry to see him go.