Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Canada- Why can’t you have a decent meal out?

Vancouver has some awesome restaurants. The same right across the country. The truth is you get what you pay for.

If by that you mean you have to choose the most expensive restaurant in town, just to get a decent meal, you’re probably right.

I’m just looking for a decent meal, without ripping the arse outve our daily meal allowance $80 each at the end of a long drive, with work the next day.

Forget food, any of you ******* tried to drink this?

sourtour-cocktail.jpg

Someone must've swallowed the damn thing ,why else?

IMG_5671-1024x768.jpg

I am American but have had nice meals with friends in Brampton, ON and Collingwood, ON.
I have had great seafood in Halifax and a few other places in Nova Scotia.
Montreal has a lot of nice places. My son went to McGill Univ. there and we would always take him to dinner when we visited and lots of nice places in the old part of the city.

Quite the opposite
True, in Montreal we ate out, it was variable, good lunches but grim dinners, everything seemed to be deep fried. Ottawa we ate indoors at relatives and the fat w@nker was a foody so we ate well.
Out in the sticks it was mom and pop diners, no Timmy's or MacD. Food was variable but we found a few that did reasonable family food for reasonable prices.

I am American but have had nice meals with friends in Brampton, ON and Collingwood, ON.
I have had great seafood in Halifax and a few other places in Nova Scotia.
Montreal has a lot of nice places. My son went to McGill Univ. there and we would always take him to dinner when we visited and lots of nice places in the old part of the city.
Whenever anyone mentions food in Brampton, all that comes to mind is bad curry.

If by that you mean you have to choose the most expensive restaurant in town, just to get a decent meal, you’re probably right.

I’m just looking for a decent meal, without ripping the arse outve our daily meal allowance $80 each at the end of a long drive, with work the next day.
Are you saying you can’t find a decent meal in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada) for $80 per head. I would guess it depends on your view of what’s decent, but I know I could eat well for that.

Cooked food in Ontario has to be a certain temp to sell to the public, does BC not have similar regulations, or do you just frequent shîte restaurants? It does seem to be hit and miss though, on Friday I ordered a hamburger and it was burnt and a tad cool, so I sent it back. Received a new one in due time that was piping hot and edible. I blame a lot of the issues with food service on kitchens relying on heat lamps so patrons get their food at the same time rather than staggered.

I use the best restaurants available based on local and TripAdvisor info. Hit and miss describes it well. Chinese in the smaller centers is generally crap but usually hot; we were served Yorkshire pudding and recycled spuds in a takeout stir fry in Smithers years ago.

On chains, Red Robin consistently serve up cold meals in BC (always eaten, no complaints by locally born (and my daughter, raised here....)

Your point about the heat lamps, they seem to serve another purpose out west. Because the food can be plated and parked under those bloody things theyre able to hire fewer staff to take the meals to table.

There may be good food out there and maybe we're unlucky but family and friends visiting from SA and England have commented on the poor quality, limited choice and general blandness of the food.

Mrs S is a brill cook btw and when we stop our business travels I shall never complain of bad food again!

I use the best restaurants available based on local and TripAdvisor info. Hit and miss describes it well. Chinese in the smaller centers is generally crap but usually hot; we were served Yorkshire pudding and recycled spuds in a takeout stir fry in Smithers years ago.

On chains, Red Robin consistently serve up cold meals in BC (always eaten, no complaints by locally born (and my daughter, raised here....)

Your point about the heat lamps, they seem to serve another purpose out west. Because the food can be plated and parked under those bloody things theyre able to hire fewer staff to take the meals to table.

There may be good food out there and maybe we're unlucky but family and friends visiting from SA and England have commented on the poor quality, limited choice and general blandness of the food.

Mrs S is a brill cook btw and when we stop our business travels I shall never complain of bad food again!
As soon as food is placed under heat lamps (for any reason), the temperature, taste, and overall quality declines.

Are you saying you can’t find a decent meal in Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada) for $80 per head. I would guess it depends on your view of what’s decent, but I know I could eat well for that.

$45-50 a head with a couple of drinks is average in the smaller centers. The Diamond in Osoyoos is reliable but their house red is $9.00 for a 6 ounce glass. Good steaks and chicken cordon bleu is worth it.