Canada to USA road trip.

Last year in a desperate attempt to avoid a 'Big joint 50th party' Major Sunray announced we were having I quickly suggested a trip to the Colonies and at the time Texas - I may have been watching a Gas Monkey Garage type prog at the time.

With the foolish belief that we had a Government event slightly competent I decided not to book anything until after Brexit so everything had a chance to calm down re ticket prices, £-$ exchange and so on and said I'd book the flights in the New Year.

Now having perused Skyscanner and the like the Texas idea has cooled a bit with me and I don't want to do NY this time; we'd both like to see a bit more of North America beyond the cities so I've hit on the idea of starting at Halifax NS and driving down to Boston. Originally it was Halifax-Maine and looping back to Halifax but she doesn't want to do that.
Naturally we don't want to just sit on the freeway with a 6 year old for 11 hours and fly home so I'm looking at advice for Premier Inn type hotels along the way, ideas of things to see? I imagine that a Canadian car hire firm would probably like their vehicle back in Canada at the end of the trip so I'm also wondering if the transition over the border should be on the train to add another experience?
Bluelight card, veterans badge (and card by then as everyone will get getting them in November :rolleyes: ) will be waved to grab discounts where possible - I have recorded previously on here just how tight I am.

Fine members of Arrse can you put some flesh on the bones of this idea?

I’m not sure there any flights from the UK to Halifax direct currently, due to the 737max issue.
could be wrong, but I need to get to Newfoundland on a regular basis and can only find routing via Toronto or Montreal.
a right pain in the rear...

Skyscanner has them out of Glasgow.

Skyscanner has them out of Glasgow.
surprised at that! Mind you, I ain’t travelling all the way to Glasgow and back from the south coast.
Good luck for the trip. Why not Boston direct?

Do the loop, there's no need to take freeways/interstates, the scenery on the secondary highways is very enjoyable plus you can take the ferry. When l drive from southern Ontario to Halifax I cut through the US rather than go through Quebec because of my hatred of the frogs and find the detour worthwhile.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Do the loop, there's no need to take freeways/interstates, the scenery on the secondary highways is very enjoyable plus you can take the ferry. When l drive from southern Ontario to Halifax I cut through the US rather than go through Quebec because of my hatred of the frogs and find the detour worthwhile.
Agree with Hld Dmr the New England states have fine 2ndary rds and plenty of stops to interest you and an 11 yr old, gasoline is cheaper, accommodation is less than Canada, and you can sort of speak same language. Returning a rental unit back to Halifax is easier than drop-offs as you'd pay a higher fee in case you did. AFIK there are regular flights to UK from Halifax, remember the last Brit garrison only marched out in 1919 so the melody lingers on for the Mother Country.

Agree with Hld Dmr the New England states have fine 2ndary rds and plenty of stops to interest you and an 11 yr old, gasoline is cheaper, accommodation is less than Canada, and you can sort of speak same language. Returning a rental unit back to Halifax is easier than drop-offs as you'd pay a higher fee in case you did. AFIK there are regular flights to UK from Halifax, remember the last Brit garrison only marched out in 1919 so the melody lingers on for the Mother Country.
I have just checked arrival and departures for today at Halifax, not a single flight to or from Europe...

Air Canada intimating 737max flights Spring 2020...

Mufulira

Old-Salt
I have just checked arrival and departures for today at Halifax, not a single flight to or from Europe...
That is strange! Halifax was definitely on the UK return run couple of years ago! My mistake if AC has ceased flying to UK from there. Rental cars from wherever you finally land in Canada will still be an option and driving to east coast to start your loop tour from Halifax going South to Excited States of America.

That is strange! Halifax was definitely on the UK return run couple of years ago! My mistake if AC has ceased flying to UK from there. Rental cars from wherever you finally land in Canada will still be an option and driving to east coast to start your loop tour from Halifax going South to Excited States of America.
It comes and goes, been like that for years. An air carrier decides transatlantic from Halifax might be a money maker, then finds out it’s not then cancels, few years later another will give it a try.

GreyArea

War Hero
Westjet has return flights out of Glasgow as mentioned earlier. Ok they are budget flights but very good value for money I found. Car hire is expensive but if you hire well in advance (2-3 weeks) you can get some good deals. NS, NB and Newfoundland have some fabulous places to visit and the scenery is stunning.

It’s only whilst the 737max is out of service! Halifax and St.Johns Newfoundland are losing a fortune in revenue as the 737max was the go-to aircraft on the Europe to Canadian east coast routes. My 5 hour flight from LHR to YYT or 6.5 hours to YHZ is now in excess of 16 hours!

Flight frequencies from Halifax are seasonal. There are direct flights between Halifax and the UK in the summer tourist season, but not in the winter. Some airlines only fly from there in the summer. This is not unusual for many smaller airports.

You haven't said when you intend to go, but if you are going to drive about the countryside I assume that it will be in the summer rather than in the middle of the winter.

I just checked and both Air Canada and Westjet have direct flights between Halifax and the UK during the summer.

Halifax and St. Johns are not seasonal but 2 or 3 times a week, it’s just this 737max issue at the moment.

Ignoring Redshit and in no particular order, planned for July and Westjet does seem to be the carrier out of Glasgow. Happily being a Northerner means its about as long for us to get to Glasgow as Manchester.

I have looked at starting at Boston and heading north.
We've been down the St Laurence to Quebec and I quite like Halifax, even though it was shut last time we got there. so have a little idea how stunning it is but the loop idea is hitting the major problem of female logic.

Apparently its an awful long way to drive just to end up back where you started? Popping down to NYC is fine though?!

I'm more than happy to explore NS, NB and nip over into Maine to get a fix of the Good ol US of A (avoiding Quebec - your not French so stop trying). She does like the idea of Niagara so I could maybe sell her on heading for Buffalo and back as long as there's a suitable waterpark along the way (promises have been made to the actually important female in my life).

Ignoring Redshit and in no particular order, planned for July and Westjet does seem to be the carrier out of Glasgow. Happily being a Northerner means its about as long for us to get to Glasgow as Manchester.

I have looked at starting at Boston and heading north.
We've been down the St Laurence to Quebec and I quite like Halifax, even though it was shut last time we got there. so have a little idea how stunning it is but the loop idea is hitting the major problem of female logic.

Apparently its an awful long way to drive just to end up back where you started? Popping down to NYC is fine though?!

I'm more than happy to explore NS, NB and nip over into Maine to get a fix of the Good ol US of A (avoiding Quebec - your not French so stop trying). She does like the idea of Niagara so I could maybe sell her on heading for Buffalo and back as long as there's a suitable waterpark along the way (promises have been made to the actually important female in my life).
Buffalo is a shïthole unless you’re into watching house fires and the US side of the falls leaves a lot to be desired. There is lots to do in the maritimes as well as New England, think @DavidBOC is your best bet for info on the septic side of the border in that region.

First of all, forget about trains!!

Back when my son was in school in Montreal I checked and even back then Boston to Montreal required one train from Boston to Albany NY and another from Albany to Montreal and involved a middle of the night layover in the Albany Station.
Out of curiosity I checked rail for you and it would take most of two days to travel Halifax-Boston by rail

Halifax-Boston by rail

I am a native of Cambridge, Massachusetts, the city across the river from Boston.
With a kid there are lots of good places to visit in Boston. To name a few:

Boston Museum of Science
Went there many times as a kid, took my son there many times when he was a kid. Great, lots of interactive exhibits that kids love. Some of the displays include live animals. If you take a kid to one place in Boston this is it. Parking garage adjacent. It has it's own stop on the MBTA Green Line.

New England Aquarium
Another good place for kids, seals, penguins, fish of all kinds and shapes
I recall taking twin Canadian Godkids there when they were 6. Two penguins were having a romantic moment.
"Uncle David, what are those penguins doing" "Erm.. that's the way penguins play dear"
Large somewhat pricey garage adjacent. Located next to Aquarium Station on the MBTA Blue Line

USS Constitution
FREE!!!
Another must see with kids. The oldest warship still in commission and afloat.
Back 40 years ago when my former wife was a USN Lieutenant she was assigned there. Not ships company but a public affairs officer attached to the command. Back then I got to see every corner of the ship on a regular basis. Kids love it. The crew who do tours are active duty USN sailors. The crew who do tours are in replica's of USN 1812 era uniforms. The newer crew, not yet certified to do tours by the CO, wear regular USN uniforms. BTW, there is always a duty section of 12 on the ship at all times 7x24. They bunk on the orlop deck, below the areas open to visit where the sailors have TV, coffee makers etc.
Be advised, it is an active US warship and same entry requirements for visitors. BRING YOUR PASSPORTS. Be prepared for search like you would get entering an airport. Rules on forbidden items are in the link above.
It is a walk from the North Station stop on both the Green and Orange MBTA lines.
I love that ship, I hope you do also.

Harvard Museums of Natural History
A bit cheaper than some of the others. When my son was six he loved it. Back then I was in graduate school at Harvard so admission was free. Exhibits on minerals and gems, botanical exhibits including rather amazing realistic glass flowers used for teaching botany back when plants were harder to preserve. It is a few blocks from Harvard Square station of the MBTA Red Line.

City Pass
A cheaper way to get tickets to the above places and a few others in the above link

MBTA
To explain the puzzling Red Line, Green line references, a link to the transit authority which has map and fare info. Note the ferry routes. I think if you want to see the harbor but don't care about a tour narrator on the PA the ferry would be cheaper. Tix for parents but the kid will be free. Pretty harbor. Midday better than rush hour, gets crowded at rush hour.
Boston traffic can be awful and even harder for strangers. Lots of one way streets, bicycle lanes etc. Try for a hotel near a T stop. No idea about the prices but the Marriott Cambridge sits atop the Kendall Sq/MIT station and the Marriott Residence Inn (cheaper I think) is a block away and cheaper I think.

Glad you are talking July. Boston, Cambridge and environs are home to many colleges and universities which have graduations in late May or early June. Hordes of parents, aunts, uncles, etc flock to the area from all over the world to see their darlings graduate. Hotel rooms become scarce and prices peak.

I hope this helps, ask questions on this thread or PM me. Cheers, David

I was only thinking of rail for a little bit of the journey but when I had a little look it looked like it was 2 days after we arrived before anything was heading that way.
Done some of the delights of Boston on previous trips including the aquarium when we were fortunate enough to be stood behind a local with family pass who offered out of the blue to get us in on that. Glad he did as it was it bit meh tbh.
Good to know about hotel availability and on the subject I guess they'd be motels to you but what are your Premier Inn equivalents for cheap, clean beds for the night?
My plan is we can pull out the phone see what's near and book it when we've had enough adventures for the day.

Latest Threads