Canada to get own Green Berets?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Taz_786, Jan 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bloke I know PVR'd from 22 a few years ago when he (as a Canuck) was asked to help set up a new SF unit to replace 1 Airborne after the Somalia torture incidents. This lasted for a year or two then he ended up having to work for the Drug Enforcement lot instead....the Liberals obviously started the ball rolling for PR then quietly dropped it again as they often did with the Armed Forces. Canucks have some good soldiers - pity they are messed about and under equipped etc

2. Sounds familiar.......?!

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

CSOR ?
    Won't be long before the squaddies call it the See-Saw.

4. Never !

5. How can it be said that they are under equipped if to a man they have the new CADPAT cammo, best in the world, Body Armour was better than our new "improved" last year and that was 2 years ago and to a man carry the C7 or C8.

6. The fatal problem is that the lovely Trudeau got rid of the individual services and lumped them all under one command (hmm - Joint Harrier/Helipcopter Farce anyone?).
    Oh, and their procurement SNAFU's are even more impressive then ours - viz their first attempt to buy the EH101.

7. That's not quite true. JTF2, the Canadian equivalent of 22SAS or Delta, has been around for over 10 years and has seen action in Afghanistan, so the unit has by no means been "dropped". From what I've read over at army.ca, this new unit (CSOR) will be their version of the Rangers/4RAR/1 Para.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concur with baboon. I saw the JTF2 boys on Herrick a couple of times (they were part of a VIP CP detail). Good bunch, well equipped and with a fondness for facial hair and shades...
    CA forces have gone through quite an expansion recently after the lean years post Cold-War. In real terms however their expansion will probably only give them the 3 deployable bdes they currently have on paper, but with a bolstered SF and expeditionary capability. Like us they have some good kit and some appalling kit. Personal weapon wise I never saw any C7s or C8s outside of JTF2. For their 'less then special' what I did see was terrible. Their Browning 9mms are WW2 vintage and were so worn the rounds rattled down the barrels. Their procurement system is much worse then ours with a penchant for French artillery pieces no-one else wants...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I can only concur with what others have said; the Canucks are good soldiers. I have no doubt that a Canadian SF unit will be very professional.