Canada: Shootings in Ottawa

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Saw the funeral on bbc news, what a fecking shambles, about a third were in step, the rest looked like they were on a fecking Saturday night wander back to barracks after 8 pints.
If that was their idea of respect they should forget it.
Shame on them
Slow day in the nursery is it? Please take your ignorant and disrespectful views somewhere suitable, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
Saw the funeral on bbc news, what a fecking shambles, about a third were in step, the rest looked like they were on a fecking Saturday night wander back to barracks after 8 pints.
If that was their idea of respect they should forget it.
Shame on them
Reported as I don't have mod rights here. Hopefully the relevant mod will delete the comment.

In the meantime, please do not respond to the OP of this comment. Whilst I understand the ire, it detracts from an otherwise thoughtful and respectful thread.

Thanks for the (anticipated) cooperation.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Reported as I don't have mod rights here. Hopefully the relevant mod will delete the comment.

In the meantime, please do not respond to the OP of this comment. Whilst I understand the ire, it detracts from an otherwise thoughtful and respectful thread.

Thanks for the (anticipated) cooperation.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Done.

A few other posts removed too; just because a halfwit posts doesn't justify swearing or more drivel.

DANJANOU

War Hero
I saw part of the funeral on TV during a quick break at work. Sadly too busy there to take the day off and go in person. His son wearing his dad's Glen was what did it for me.

I saw part of the funeral on TV during a quick break at work. Sadly too busy there to take the day off and go in person. His son wearing his dad's Glen was what did it for me.

I wont click "Like" because I'd rather his father was still with us, but this image hits me hard. Reminds me of JFK jr at his fathers funeral with the salute. Very Humbling

Gheluvelt

Old-Salt
I finally caught replays of the funeral this evening. It was very moving and good to see such a good turnout from the public to pay their respects. I also thought the regiment was very well turned out and their level of drill was excellent. They can take great pride in the fact that they gave Cpl. Cirillo the best send off possible.

The look of disgruntled surprise on the Badgers face is priceless though.

I watched the funeral and was moved. It was a fine thing, despite the saddening circumstances.

[QUOTE="FourZeroCharlie, post: 6045154, member: 39849]
A lone or rogue perpetrator is all but impossible to identify, let alone pre-empt his actions.
But both of these jihadis had been not only ID'd but had their passports confiscated as posing a threat.

Not blaming the intel services at all, they have to work within the framework the politicians are prepared to grant them.

Personally with regard to jihadists if they are not considered safe to fly then I am struggling to see a reasonable argument that they are safe to wander the streets.[/QUOTE]

My bold.... this is why I advocate letting them go off to whatever dusty country they want in the hope they will be killed/martyred, but never let them back in to the country again should they survive.

From the news reports I saw it seemed a very dignified event and yes, the little fella with his dad's hat was heart breaking. Whilst I don't necessarily respect politicos the Canadian PM summed it up for me, lots of us civvies really respect you guys and the jobs and sacrifices you give.

thank you all and god bless that poor little lad and the soldiers family.

DANJANOU

War Hero
I know we as a nation and society did it as a public outpouring of grief., WO Vincent's Funeral was also yesterday and the family had requested a private affair. I don't think the child fully grasps that Dad is gone for ever yet.

When he grows up and better realizes things he'll be able to look a the video and photos and take some small comfort as to the type of Man his father was and what his passing has meant to us all.

Guess you don't 'do' emotion, when burying one of your own?

On a technical note, the casket is what is known in the trade as an American Casket: half as wide again and twice as heavy as an English-style coffin. Trust me, those bearers will have earned their first beer, later.
I have shifted a few coffins in my day (including my father's) for military burials and I have to say that they are heavy. A squad that can stay in step while moving one is rare. If you don't drop it on its way to the grave site that is a major accomplishment. Well done, those lads who performed the service for the late CPL Cirillo. Have a pint on me.

alib

LE
Terrorism in Canada has been relatively minor compared to contemporary European problems, but the current problems are not new. The international media focus on the Islamic variety is to a large extent due to the dominance of American controlled media companies who are focusing on American concerns and political agendas. This is why for example the Americans traditionally turned a blind eye to the activities of the IRA.
PIRA activities often came close to getting lionized in the US press.

I can recall ETA, the RAF, feuding Algerian factions getting some US press as well as the OAS, German and Italian Neo-Nazis.... There were hundreds of terrorist incidents in the early 70s America itself. There were even a few Hollywood movies featuring sinister Years of Lead style terrorists. The Pal factions and HA always attracted more attention in the US with it's cosseting relationship with Israel. The memory of how rough the 70s and 80s were in terms of terrorism all seemed to vanish with the Black Swan of 9-11. Most lessons from those years were put aside. Suddenly not all Muslims were terrorists but all terrorist were Muslim even though there were still lot of infidels doing the same old schtick.

According to Interpol most terrorist incidents in Europe in 2013 were connected with separatist movements not Takfiri. Often in the past decade N.I. has been rated by State as the most at risk area despite it having a pretty negligible dissident Chuckie threat these days. Lone wolf attacks have risen, actually often linked to the bugging out white bread far right. However the sort of serious group based bombing, kidnapping, assassination, hijacking campaigns of the 70s and 80s has not been repeated. The 21st century version is more sporadic and unpredictable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carbon 6 The Intelligence Cell 21
stanley_bomb_squad Travel 37
S Living Overseas 23

Latest Threads