Canada: Shootings in Ottawa

simbo

LE
The local paper has published a list of some previous modern terrorist attacks in Canada, which I thought I would repeat here to put things into context.
  1. 1966, May 18 - Paul Joseph Chartier took a homemade bomb into the gallery in the House of Commons in Ottawa, intending to kill as many MPs as possible. After leaving the gallery to arm his bomb in a nearby washroom, the bomb went off prematurely, killing only Chartier.
  2. 1970, Oct. 17 - The Front de liberation du Quebec (FLQ) kills kidnapped hostage Pierre Laporte, Quebec's Deputy Premier. The group's bombing campaign also killed several other people, all in the name of creating an independent Quebec.
  3. 1972, April 4 - An explosion at the Cuban consulate in Montreal kills official Sergio Perez Castillo. Anti-Castro groups based in the U.S. are to blame.
  4. 1982, August 23 - Armenian militants shoot and kill Turkish military attache Col. Atilla Altikat, while he was sitting in his car at a red light in Ottawa.
  5. 1984, May 8 - Canadian soldier Denis Lortie heads to Quebec City where he intends a killing spree at the provincial legislature, including the assassination of premier Rene Levesque. Arriving early, the legislature is mostly empty but Lortie is able to kill three employees and injure others before being talked down by the 63-year-old sergeant-at-arms, who is a Korean War vet and former member of the same regiment as Lortie.
  6. 1984, September 3 - Montreal train station is bombed, killing 3 French tourists and wounding more than 30. Thomas Bernard Brigham of Rochester, N.Y., was imprisoned for the crime, which was intended to stop the impending visit from Pope John Paul II.
  7. 1985, June 23 - Air India flight 182 is bombed after leaving Montreal. 329 people are killed after the 747 blows up in Irish airspcae. Sikh terrorists are to blame.
  8. 2012, Sept. 4 - Richard Henry Bain allegedly tries to kill newly elected Quebec premier Pauline Marois at her election night victory party in Montreal. While attempting to enter the building, Bain shot and killed a stage technician, according to police. The case is still before the courts.

There was also a serious terrorist and insurgent problem in the 19th century, but we'll leave that out of the picture. The above is also not a comprehensive list, as there were others (e.g. the Armenians killed a security guard in another attack).

Of the above, we have four serious modern political terrorist groups - The FLQ, American anti-Castro terrorists, Armenian terrorists, and Sikh terrorists.

The remainder are four frothing nutters whose justifications exist only in their own heads - Chartier, Lortie, Brigham, and Bain.

The points that I am trying to make here are first, while Canada has a minimal terrorist problem compared to many other countries, the current incidents are not unprecedented. Second, while the events are tragic, the world is not about to end. If it's of any comfort, the currently lot of Muslim nutters appear to be decidedly less competent than their predecessors.

P.S. - For those who are interested, Lortie showed up at the provincial legislature with some toys from work - 2 Sterling SMGs and a Browning HP. He was the stores clerk at a nuclear bunker where they didn't have space to store arms and ammunition separately, so he had ready access to both.
5 days before LaPorte's kidnapping James Cross, the British Trade Commissioner was also kidnapped, on 5 Oct. he was released on 4 Dec. Trudeau allowed the kidnappers to fly to Cuba on a CF plane.

Trudeau also deployed troops to Quebec on 12 Oct- all part of the 'October Crisis'. LaPorte was killed in captivity and the troops were off the streets by early Jan. To my knowledge the October Crisis was the only occasion in which the War Measures Act (now replaced by the Emergencies Act) has been invoked in peacetime

Last edited:

Gheluvelt

Old-Salt
I hope there is some recognition for the parliamentary security guard, Samearn Son, who was wounded. Reports are coming out this morning that he was working the front door to Parliament, unarmed, and when he noticed Bibeau's rifle he grabbed at it and wrestled with Bibeau until the weapon went off, the bullet striking him in the leg. This commotion and delay, however, allowed security and police (and Vickers). a few extra seconds to deploy.

Vickers will certainly be put in for an SC or the CV. He will not receive the Order of Canada for this as it's not awarded for bravery. A knighthood is completely out of the question as it does not form part of the Canadian honours system.

Last edited:
I hope there is some recognition for the parliamentary security guard, Samearn Son, who was wounded. Reports are coming out this morning that he was working the front door to Parliament, unarmed, and when he noticed Bibeau's rifle he grabbed at it and wrestled with Bibeau until the weapon went off, the bullet striking him in the leg. This commotion and delay, however, allowed security and police (and Vickers). a few extra seconds to deploy.

Vickers will certainly be put in for an SC or the CV. He will not receive the Order of Canada for this as it's not awarded for bravery. A knighthood is completely out of the question as it does not form part of the Canadian honours system.
i had not heard about the security guard, he certainly does merit recognition!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
What I like (if that is the right word) about these various attacks (Rigby, the axe attack in NYC as well as these in Canada), is that the perp's think they are the spark that lights the match, that masses will follow their example and those attacked will cower away in fear - in reality, the opposite occurs. They are condemned, to rot in prison or fade from memory, while those murdered are commemorated in so many different places.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Gheluvelt

Old-Salt

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw the funeral on bbc news, what a fecking shambles, about a third were in step, the rest looked like they were on a fecking Saturday night wander back to barracks after 8 pints.
If that was their idea of respect they should forget it.
Shame on them
Yer, I bet they were there thinking "**** this I hated the guy so I will just bimble".

Knob.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Saw the funeral on bbc news, what a fecking shambles, about a third were in step, the rest looked like they were on a fecking Saturday night wander back to barracks after 8 pints.
Shame on them
Because all reservists have the same standard of drill as the Brigade of Guards (who can also march immaculately out of step when the mood takes them).

Cock.

Because all reservists have the same standard of drill as the Brigade of Guards (who can also march immaculately out of step when the mood takes them).

Cock.
Thought the out of step lark (Teddy Bear Two Step) was deliberate and their way of showing displeasure? :p

Shame on them
Guess you don't 'do' emotion, when burying one of your own?

On a technical note, the casket is what is known in the trade as an American Casket: half as wide again and twice as heavy as an English-style coffin. Trust me, those bearers will have earned their first beer, later.

On War On The Rocks CANADA DIDN’T “LOSE ITS INNOCENCE” IN OTTAWA: HOW THE MEDIA IGNORES HISTORY

On Canada's forgotten but rather lively history of 20th century terrorism. Perhaps its more a generation of journos having a senior moment though one not at all unique to Canada.
In focusing on the FLQ, he managed to completely ignore Sikh, Tamil, Armenian, and American anti-Castro terrorists in Canada. If you want to go back to the 19th century, then Irish, American, and domestic terrorists and insurgents were a far more serious threat than any of the others.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
In focusing on the FLQ, he managed to completely ignore Sikh, Tamil, Armenian, and American anti-Castro terrorists in Canada. If you want to go back to the 19th century, then Irish, American, and domestic terrorists and insurgents were a far more serious threat than any of the others.
So he missed the point entirely?

So he missed the point entirely?
No, in that his point was that the present day terrorism is not unprecedented. However, by focusing exclusively on the FLQ he weakens his own argument because that might lead someone to thinking "well OK, so there was one other previous threat which is now totally defunct". In fact there have been several threats, many of them more recent than the FLQ and a number of which are still extant.

Terrorism in Canada has been relatively minor compared to contemporary European problems, but the current problems are not new. The international media focus on the Islamic variety is to a large extent due to the dominance of American controlled media companies who are focusing on American concerns and political agendas. This is why for example the Americans traditionally turned a blind eye to the activities of the IRA.

Shame on them
I think any shame is yours, you wretched gobshite.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carbon 6 The Intelligence Cell 21
stanley_bomb_squad Travel 37
S Living Overseas 23

Latest Threads