Canada Sending Additional Troops To Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Sep 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reinforcements are on the way including a squadron of Leopard 1 tanks.

2. Great stuff.

Here's hoping they stay away from harm
  3. I think a sqn of canadians and leosayer tanks would be better
  4. Shouldn't that be Leo Sayer tank tops 8)
  5. Does anyone know if we have counter mortar facilities at any of our outposts?
  6. Good old Canucks.
  7. God bless canada
  8. Well done! Unlike those fecking lazy box heads et al!
  9. Well done Canada
  10. This is a big move by the CF, they are punching above their weight but very willing to do it. Good news.
  11. I'm sure there was a time when 'those in the know' were fairly dismissive of CF. I heard them described as paramilitary policemen and suchlike. I don't think anyone would doubt their appetite for war fighting in a very dodgy arena now. But what as happened politically in the land of the Maple Tree and Rusty's to bring their Forces to the fore - anyone able to enlighten me?

Good luck to Canadian Forces and thanks to a country whose actions truly speak louder than mealy mouthed words.
  12. As far as I am aware, successive 'Liberal' (etc) governments have slashed funding and manning of the Canadian Forces, this was largely done during amalgamation of the services as well as slow rot over time. It was also easy to do as Canada was being labelled as a 'peacekeeper' not a 'warmaker'.

However with some gentle nudges they have been out doing some warmaking and found themselves wanting.

Now under Harper (Conservative, the first Pro-Forces government in a while) more funding is being put back in the CF, and there are plans to nearly double its man power, from about 25,000 to about 45,000. However there coming up with logistical problems as there finding that they don’t have the infrastructure in place, or the trainers to expand the services.

I could well be that Her Majesty’s British Forces of the Crown are asked if they can lend a few SNCO's to help them out.
  13. Drago - thanks for that. Reading your post it would seem that Mr Harper is a good deal more perceptive then many of his peers. Expanding the Armed Forces? At a time of increasing world instability? What is he thinking?
  14. Harper's Conservatives are pumping a lot of cash into CF but the problem will be that there isn't enough money earmarked yet to do much more than halt the atrophy that resulted from constant budget cuts under the Liberals. But there are some definite signs that Harper wants to reverse the decline, not just stem it: