Canada manual: US prisoners face torture

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080119/ap_on_re_ca/canada_us_torture;_ylt=AqzjHCrwu9xRUGA4WHtC5Fxx24cA

A training manual for Canadian diplomats lists the United States as a country where prisoners risk torture and abuse, citing interrogation techniques such as stripping prisoners, blindfolding and sleep deprivation.

The Foreign Affairs Department document, released Friday, singled out the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay. It also names Israel, Afghanistan, China, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Syria as places where inmates could face torture.

The listing drew a sharp response from the U.S., a key NATO ally and trading partner, which asked to removed from the manual.

"We find it to be offensive for us to be on the same list with countries like Iran and China. Quite frankly it's absurd," U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins told The Associated Press. "For us to be on a list like that is just ridiculous."

KGB_resident said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080119/ap_on_re_ca/canada_us_torture;_ylt=AqzjHCrwu9xRUGA4WHtC5Fxx24cA

A training manual for Canadian diplomats lists the United States as a country where prisoners risk torture and abuse, citing interrogation techniques such as stripping prisoners, blindfolding and sleep deprivation.

The Foreign Affairs Department document, released Friday, singled out the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay. It also names Israel, Afghanistan, China, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Syria as places where inmates could face torture.

The listing drew a sharp response from the U.S., a key NATO ally and trading partner, which asked to removed from the manual.

"We find it to be offensive for us to be on the same list with countries like Iran and China. Quite frankly it's absurd," U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins told The Associated Press. "For us to be on a list like that is just ridiculous."
Ambassador Wilkins appear to find the truth distasteful...bless! Youve got to love Diplomats.

Airfix said:
And your point is Sergey? You got the hump that mother Russia is missed of the list?
From my point of view, Airfix, it is a good time for our American friends to reconsider their style of thinking, their mentality, their approach to international relations, their understanding of the very concept of human rights and democracy. It is a good time to stop using double standards.

Even close allies see huge gap between flourished declarations and real situation.

It is a good time for official Washington to abandon position of teacher and lecturer and be attentive student.

As for British society then I would like to ask. Is it moving is American direcrion? Would learned mr.Milliband find critical arrows or would he prefer a position of Jackal that hides near the Tiger and bark on the Bear.

If the Yanks want to be removed from the list of countries that routinely torture detainees maybe the solution is to simply stop routinely torturing detainees? It's not rocket science.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Torturing is sooo passe! Why not use Polonium to simply dispose of the enemies of a state, or maybe poison-tipped umbrellas?

I mean, torturing by sleep deprivation and waterboarding, well, it tends to leave the victim alive, and that just leaves one open to litigation.

Biped said:
Torturing is sooo passe! Why not use Polonium to simply dispose of the enemies of a state, or maybe poison-tipped umbrellas?

I mean, torturing by sleep deprivation and waterboarding, well, it tends to leave the victim alive, and that just leaves one open to litigation.
FFS don't tell the Bulgarians that :twisted:

The Americans may object but if the hat fits etc....... :roll:

Edited to add - Sergey - if you're looking for the Milliband Fan Club on this site you'll get fcuking sore eyes :D

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
rickshaw-major said:
Biped said:

FFS don't tell the Bulgarians that :twisted:

The Americans may object but if the hat fits etc....... :roll:

Edited to add - Sergey - if you're looking for the Milliband Fan Club on this site you'll get fcuking sore eyes :D
Yeah, well, they all looked like Soviets to me!

rickshaw-major said:
As I'm well aware about preferencies of the ARRSErs then I would be very surprised if meet even one his fan here.

Meanwhile, in other news:

As I see American mother-bear teaches her children (in English) how they must behave.

Meanwhile Russian bears are training to be prepared to invasion in their forest.

Shadow_Ro said:
Canadians don't know what real torture is. Neither does anyone here.
Setting aside the fact that the Canadians' now defunct airborne regiment appear to have had a good try at finding out, you're here too; ergo neither do you. Rendering your pronouncements on the subject as equally worthless as the others that your comment appears intended to dismiss.

strut_jack said:
Shadow_Ro said:
Setting aside the fact that the Canadians' now defunct airborne regiment appear to have had a good try at finding out, you're here too; ergo neither do you. Rendering your pronouncements on the subject as equally worthless as the others that your comment appears intended to dismiss.
Uh-huh.

Shadow_Ro said:
strut_jack said:
Shadow_Ro said:
Uh-huh.
You appear to be a bit of a tw@t.

Whereas we in the UK only used the equivalent only a bus passenger suffering an epileptic fit. Location London some weeks after 7/7 which is the defence used by the Met Police.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Multinational HQ 11
T Gunners 42
N The Training Wing 10