Canada kicks the F-35 in the nuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, Dec 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick! Organise a State Visit to Ottawa for CMD.

2. How long before ours is scrapped? When we take delivery but cant fly them due to no software and after storing them for half a generation and billions wasted converting them into sopwith camels?

Cynical, me???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using ARRSE mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. I would have thought that the logical choice for Canada was the Rhino - a proven airframe with proven systems, already in service with the USN and RAAF and with twin-engines for Arctic operations.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they could buy some delivery mileage, mostly all there, typhoons off us. not very stealthy and they cant do ground attack yet but you couldn't get a more non cost effective platform this side of the f22.

buy enough and we might even throw in a not very fast sub or an anti air platform with limited capability.

I reckon they should buy russian though, the yanks would be creaming their pants to get some decent pre china practice in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. STVOL F-35 is the least vulnerable of the F-35 variants. The people who need STVOL have to buy it, the CTOL buyers have options.

6. I wouldn't quite believe that article, as it's written by the Toronto "Red" Star, a newspaper that's held in about as much popular esteem as The Daily Mail is in the UK for trustworthiness.

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Christ you talk shite, no matter what the evidence you keep regurgitating the same old bollox time and time again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. "Canada to consider other fighter gets besides costly F-35"

"F-35 deal scrapped as Conservative government begins new search for fighter jet"

To me, The Star's headline appears much more misleading than Foxnews's. Semantics, I know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Actually all the Conservatives are doing is holding the line on the F35 whilst promising to do errrrrr nothing else really.

An independent report came out today regarding budget costs which basically said that the numbers although slightly higher than projected are in line with expected costs. Naturally the leftie Newspapers are all over this like a bird strike through a jet engine.

The problem is, Canada agreed to spend $9 Billion on replacement Jets no more no less. This meant that 5 years ago they could have theoretically obtained 65 frames. As the cost rises, through no fault of the Can Gov, $9B can only pay for 45 frames. So the question has now become, well if we look elsewhere we could purchase xxxxxx company Jets and maybe up the figure from 45 to 55 frames.

So once again we have another Government fiasco in the works, although it was the Lefty Liberals who signed the deal in the 1st place, the now in power Tories are going to get a shit kicking, the deal will be cancelled, committees will spend yet another $One Billion Trillion pretending to look for a replacement, and 3 more pilots will die in CF18 crashes, meanwhile, the USA politicos will grab the PM`s nuts and whisper `listen you under populated country fuckwits, if you don`t buy the F35 we will withdraw blah, blah, companies from Canada and blah, blah, contracts`. Result, in 5 years time Canada will have 11 F35`s at the original cost of $9b. Or more likely the Libs will get back in power and start back at square one again so Canada will get 1 Typhoon or 1 x 2nd hand Harrier from Nigeria.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Bit like us then, 160 intended F-35's become 135, then 110, and now look like a 'mighty' force of 48.

11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

L-O-A-D-S on this over on PPRUNE...

12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

There's a chap called Ward that the Canucks could hire as a consultant ..

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lol!