Canada Goes to Pot

I assume the level of tax on legal pot from the Weed Store will be at the same level as tobacco and alcohol ? also one of the justifications for this change in the law was to remove distribution and sale of said weed from criminal gangs. However, the criminal distribution networks are well in place and will, no doubt, undercut the legal shops prices as in the case of bootleg fags and booze?
I'm certain that the criminals will become "legitimate businessmen".

However, the criminal distribution networks are well in place and will, no doubt, undercut the legal shops prices as in the case of bootleg fags and booze?
I am sure the criminal stuff won't completely go away but it will probably be on a much smaller scale. Plus with legal stuff you at least know that it's high(er) quality, even if you have to pay a bit more. I know what I would choose, if I had to.

Do that mean Bill and Ben 'Flobalobs' pals will be let off for smoking Weed.....

I assume the level of tax on legal pot from the Weed Store will be at the same level as tobacco and alcohol ? also one of the justifications for this change in the law was to remove distribution and sale of said weed from criminal gangs. However, the criminal distribution networks are well in place and will, no doubt, undercut the legal shops prices as in the case of bootleg fags and booze?
Maybe the first nations will jump into the business and set up duty free sources as they have done for cigarettes.

Maybe the first nations will jump into the business and set up duty free sources as they have done for cigarettes.
Been to three reservations all within 3 hours of home, and they're already peddling tax and duty-free marijuana products. I have no idea how the res in my hometown will cope, because even though it's in Canada, you have to go through a customs port of entry on your way back to the mainland.

I'm certain that the criminals will become "legitimate businessmen".
Maybe. Municipalities have created zones for licensed private retailers. If they have, or can get, a property in one of these zones, all they have to do is apply for Provincial approval (fee $7500) and then buy a business license from the municipality ($5000pa rather than the normal $160pa).

Then they'll be subject to random inspections by a small new pot police dept who will check licenses etc

A few people were lined up from 0630 outside Canada's first legal pot store this morning. It opens at 1000 and sells weed and oils.

I think the black market will endure.

it's been on the cards for years. I arrested a canuck at City for having weed in his bag so he produces this card that permits him buy regulated. weed in Canada and it's gen having checked it out with the Canadian people. Unfortunately he just didn't get can't bring it in without specific authority. He'd been in the 4 weeks and the load in his bag wasn't from there, he'd bought it here. Action confined to seize and report and a friendly referal to plod.

Odd one. I am considering in investing in a Canadian company, listed on the Canadian stock market that is in the weed market. This would be via a U.K. broker, all legit and legal. Now when I make a profit a % will have to be paid to the Inland Revenue, so the IR will be taxing me on something that’s illegal in the U.K.

How’s that work then.

Half baked in the back officeeee.

Odd one. I am considering in investing in a Canadian company, listed on the Canadian stock market that is in the weed market. This would be via a U.K. broker, all legit and legal. Now when I make a profit a % will have to be paid to the Inland Revenue, so the IR will be taxing me on something that’s illegal in the U.K.

How’s that work then.

Probably the same if you invested in weapons manufacturer in another country. Or anything else that is illegal in the UK but not elsewhere.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

How’s that work then.

Be careful as the US are getting all puritanical about it and people investing in companies are finding their trips to the US very short. In fact it is standard to be asked at the border if you have ever used weed and then getting banned.

I love my US friends but at times it’s religious and conservative culture drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Pardons will be granted for past convictions of cannabis possession, and the fee will be waived. Liberal government to waive fee, waiting time for pot pardons | CBC News
The Liberal government will waive the fee and waiting period for Canadians seeking a pardon for a past conviction for simple pot possession.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale announced today that the government intends to table legislation to expedite the pardon process for those with a criminal record for pot.
The fee for normal record suspensions is $631. The waiting period to apply is usually five years for a summary offence or 10 years for an indictable offence.

Goodale said it will "shed the burden and stigma" and break down barriers to jobs, education, housing or volunteer work.

Be careful as the US are getting all puritanical about it and people investing in companies are finding their trips to the US very short. In fact it is standard to be asked at the border if you have ever used weed and then getting banned.

I love my US friends but at times it’s religious and conservative culture drives me nuts.
Former PM Brian Mulroney is joining the board of directors of an American cannabis company based in New York. It will be listed on a minor stock exchange in Canada. Other directors will include two well known former US politicians.
Brian Mulroney joins board of directors of New York-based pot company | CBC News
Acreage Holdings, one of the largest vertically integrated cannabis companies in the U.S., says Mulroney will officially become a board member in November, when the company will list in the Canadian Securities Exchange.

Mulroney, who served as prime minister 1984 to 1993, will join other prominent former U.S. politicians in the board of Acreage, including former House of Representatives speaker John Boehner, and former Massachusetts governor William Weld.
Mulroney released a statement regarding his new board of directors position.
In a statement released by the New York-based company, Mulroney says he is pleased that Canada has taken a leadership role in the field in North America, adding that he's "encouraged about the prospects of what the end of prohibition" will mean for the country.
Mulroney's daughter Caroline is in the Ontario provincial cabinet and as the attorney general is responsible for overseeing the legalization of cannabis in Ontario.
Mulroney's daughter, Caroline Mulroney, is the attorney general of Ontario and has been overseeing the legalization of marijuana in the province.
Given Mulroney's reputation for shrewdness and his background as a lawyer, I would be very surprised if he wasn't quite sure that he was in a solid legal position with regards to doing business in the US.