Canada Goes to Pot

My view was that people will stick to criminal suppliers who undercut the local weed store, just like bootleg tobacco. Was not a big argument to legalize was that it would end the criminal trade?
From people I’ve talked to over the past year who partake, the majority are still buying off the same folk they did as before but are now growing their allotment of 4 plants as well. The pot shops are only in the major cities so not accessible for many and the government owned online shops are not that popular because your name is recorded and the product is not that strong, neither being popular. If at 8 pm you get the urge to fire up the bong and are out of weed, which are you going to do, drive a couple of hours to the city? Order online? Nope, you’re going to find someone local holding, the critics warned of that, but that was never addressed because Justin was peddling a pipe dream with silver linings and the masses lapped it up.

True that Justin and his government used the -legalization will kill the criminal trade -spiel, but at the same time the plod said not a chance, but hey, Trudeau knows more than professional law enforcement. The two things that many predicted never came to fruition, that being crime going up and masses of stoners wandering about like zombies. The drug fuelled crimes are still being done by meth heads, potheads haven’t even caused a blip, and the vast majority of those under the influence in public are drunks as per norm from what I can see firsthand.

From people I’ve talked to over the past year who partake, the majority are still buying off the same folk they did as before but are now growing their allotment of 4 plants as well. The pot shops are only in the major cities so not accessible for many and the government owned online shops are not that popular because your name is recorded and the product is not that strong, neither being popular. If at 8 pm you get the urge to fire up the bong and are out of weed, which are you going to do, drive a couple of hours to the city? Order online? Nope, you’re going to find someone local holding, the critics warned of that, but that was never addressed because Justin was peddling a pipe dream with silver linings and the masses lapped it up.

True that Justin and his government used the -legalization will kill the criminal trade -spiel, but at the same time the plod said not a chance, but hey, Trudeau knows more than professional law enforcement. The two things that many predicted never came to fruition, that being crime going up and masses of stoners wandering about like zombies. The drug fuelled crimes are still being done by meth heads, potheads haven’t even caused a blip, and the vast majority of those under the influence in public are drunks as per norm from what I can see firsthand.
Thanks for that, interesting. Developments this side of the pond are awaited.

Interesting report on the first year of the Canadian experiment, users still use criminal suppliers who undercut taxed legal stores, I stand back in amazement!

So far only Limp Dems and Greens on the bandwagon here.

Give us this day our daily weed. Or, at least a bit of 'erb for the weekend!
I can't read the original article, as it's paywalled. However, it was originally expected to take years for the legalised industry to ramp up from almost nothing (there was a legal medical cannabis industry producing some) to being big enough to supply demand.

The federal government can and has changed the criminal code to legalise cannabis and created a regulatory framework, but the actual practicalities of delivery are in the hands of each individual province, who take a variety of different approaches.

I don't' smoke pot, and I don't personally know anybody who does (that I am aware of), but I am familiar with the news as reported in Ontario. The current Conservative government in Ontario are committed to making the industry a success in Ontario, but the number of licensed retail outlets is still limited. They are rolling out new licenses on a regular basis through a lottery system, but are limiting the rate of increase to what the growers can supply. There's no point in opening shops with no inventory to put into them and they don't want shops with nothing on the shelves. The result is that the retail coverage is still quite limited. It will take years yet to change that. The situation is similar in other provinces.

With regards to which political parties support the idea, plenty of politicians who were opposed to the idea of legalisation changed their opinions rapidly upon legalisation when they saw there was money to be made.

Here's former Conservative cabinet minister Julian Fantino two years after his defeat in the 2015 election opening his new pot business in his former riding. Fantino had previously rather famously said that legalising pot was like legalising murder. When legalisation began to look like becoming a reality, he had a sudden change of heart on this which he said was inspired by his love and concern for soldiers returning from the wars abroad who were suffering from PTSD and needed to smoke the odd joint to deal with it. Fantino was not alone among prominent politicians in his sudden road to Damascus conversion on this subject.

Former police chief who once said legalizing pot is like legalizing murder launching weed-related company

I'm not a fan of pot, I don't smoke it, and I don't like the smell of it. In fact if there is anything that I have to say against legalisation it is that pot smokers now don't have to hide the foul rancid stench of pot smoke wafting about the neighbourhoods around their homes and clinging to their hair and clothes in public. But then again the difference between pot smokers and tobacco smokers in this regards is a matter of degree rather than kind, it's like living next to a pig farm in either case. If you're going to outlaw pot at this point then you may as well outlaw tobacco while you're at it and for pretty much the same reasons (I'm not in favour of outlawing either, by the way).

There's loads of black market cigarettes sold in Canada, many of them smuggled from the US. US legal tobacco companies make them specifically for the illegal market (Canadian smokers like a different type of cigarette than Americans apparently). They don't typically contain the additive which makes them go out by themselves, and as a result they cause a significant number of fires from careless smokers. Since tobacco smokers do their thing much more frequently than cannabis smokers do, this is a much more significant problem for society than cannabis is. Oddly enough I'm not hearing anyone say that the solution to this problem is to criminalise smoking tobacco.

There's loads of black market cigarettes sold in Canada, many of them smuggled from the US. US legal tobacco companies make them specifically for the illegal market (Canadian smokers like a different type of cigarette than Americans apparently). They don't typically contain the additive which makes them go out by themselves, and as a result they cause a significant number of fires from careless smokers. Since tobacco smokers do their thing much more frequently than cannabis smokers do, this is a much more significant problem for society than cannabis is. Oddly enough I'm not hearing anyone say that the solution to this problem is to criminalise smoking tobacco.
The chances are you and I read the same newspapers and watch the same tv news, there has not been any fires in recent memory being attributed to cigarette smoking, or am l just missing them all?

American cigarettes generally have saltpetre in them whereas Canadian ones don’t, big difference in taste.

The chances are you and I read the same newspapers and watch the same tv news, there has not been any fires in recent memory being attributed to cigarette smoking, or am l just missing them all? (...)
There's been an ad campaign by the fire department or someone along those lines about it as well as numerous news stories.

Here's a news story:
Contraband cigarettes linked to a 'staggering' number of fires

Careless use of contraband cigarettes is a leading cause of fires, injuries—even fatalities—in London, Ont.

That's according to the London Fire Department, which began tracking fires related to contraband cigarettes this year. (...)

"[The numbers are] pretty staggering," said Jack Burt, acting deputy chief.

During his time as a fire investigator, Burt said he noticed a number of fire deaths where contraband cigarettes were present at the scene.

He started digging into the facts, and realized that four out of five smoking-related deaths in London since 2014 were directly related to contraband cigarettes.
When he says that four out of five smoking related deaths since 2014 were due to contraband cigarettes, he is of course referring to fire deaths only.

Cigarette smoking is the number one cause of fire deaths in Canada.
...cigarette smoking remains the number one cause of fire deaths in Canada.
The issue with contraband cigarettes is they are not self-extinguishing.

Here's several more news stories from other sources:

Here's a statement by the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs.

The chances are you and I read the same newspapers and watch the same tv news, there has not been any fires in recent memory being attributed to cigarette smoking, or am l just missing them all?

American cigarettes generally have saltpetre in them whereas Canadian ones don’t, big difference in taste.
I think the tobacco itself was different as well, growing different varieties under different conditions. I don't know how the tobacco companies handled that once the Canadian tobacco farmers started going out of business.

I primed tobacco back when I was a young lad and welcomed the money that it paid. The tobacco farmers made a pretty good living out of it and I sympathised with them over the decline of the industry.

However, I've seen too many people that I know lose legs or die miserable deaths as a result of smoking to shed any tears over the thought of tobacco smoking being in decline.

Now the new problem is kids vaping, and the solvents in the fluid rotting their lungs out.

There's been an ad campaign by the fire department or someone along those lines about it as well as numerous news stories.

Here's a news story:
Contraband cigarettes linked to a 'staggering' number of fires

When he says that four out of five smoking related deaths since 2014 were due to contraband cigarettes, he is of course referring to fire deaths only.

Cigarette smoking is the number one cause of fire deaths in Canada.

The issue with contraband cigarettes is they are not self-extinguishing.

Here's several more news stories from other sources:

Here's a statement by the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs.
Hmmmm, I guess the government should cut back the taxes on cigarettes to curb the smuggling like they did last time, job jobbed.....

By the way, I keep getting this ad when I view this thread today. Take close look at the right hand side of the ad.

ad-building.jpg

I think the tobacco itself was different as well, growing different varieties under different conditions. I don't know how the tobacco companies handled that once the Canadian tobacco farmers started going out of business.

I primed tobacco back when I was a young lad and welcomed the money that it paid. The tobacco farmers made a pretty good living out of it and I sympathised with them over the decline of the industry.

However, I've seen too many people that I know lose legs or die miserable deaths as a result of smoking to shed any tears over the thought of tobacco smoking being in decline.

Now the new problem is kids vaping, and the solvents in the fluid rotting their lungs out.
I agree about the vaping, the majority I see doing it are either middle aged women or young folk, two groups that are both easily swayed to take up stupid habits.

By the way, I keep getting this ad when I view this thread today. Take close look at the right hand side of the ad.

View attachment 433904
Odd, those buildings are a bïtch to insulate and I can’t see anyone being dumb enough to try growing in them without major modifications. My adds are for Christmas trees, might be based more than what’s on the thread.

Odd, those buildings are a bïtch to insulate and I can’t see anyone being dumb enough to try growing in them without major modifications. My adds are for Christmas trees, might be based more than what’s on the thread.
I have cookies turned off and purged when I'm not logged in, so there's no browser history for the advertising companies to go on other than what they've picked up from being on this site. I assume they are also analysing the page contents and that is where they are getting their targeting information from.

Advertisers pay according to a hierarchy of information they have about the sucker valued consumer, so whatever collection of cookies you have picked up get auctioned to the highest bidder who then use them to figure out what is the most valuable thing they can sell you. With me, they've got nothing else to go on other than the page contents. It sounds like Christmas trees are worth more than selling steel buildings to pot growers. Or maybe those "Christmas trees" you claim you keep seeing are actually giant pot plants with decorations on them.

I just clicked on the same ad as it appeared again (that should be more drug money in the pockets of the ARRSE COs from the click-through fees) and they have a web page dedicated to describing their "micro cultivation license building". The mast head photo shows a bunch of pot plants growing indoors, although you can't see if it is in one of their buildings.

Most of the commercial grow operations here seem to be going into conventional greenhouses. A lot of these are converted from large scale horticultural greenhouses (flowers, etc.) at big garden distributors or from vegetable greenhouses (tomatoes, peppers, etc.).

Local authorities are having to deal with complaints from neighbours, mainly revolving around problems with the smell.

What is this ad trying to advocate? :?
Although it looks like it should be a spoof of "Reno! 911" akin to "Moose Jaw! 911", it's actually an ad campaign by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (with the unfortunate initials of CIRA) trying to tell any Canadian who chooses to go with a .com domain instead of a .ca domain that they're traitors.

The ads are so spectacularly lame, that a written description cannot do them justice.

Although it looks like it should be a spoof of "Reno! 911" akin to "Moose Jaw! 911", it's actually an ad campaign by the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (with the unfortunate initials of CIRA) trying to tell any Canadian who chooses to go with a .com domain instead of a .ca domain that they're traitors.

The ads are so spectacularly lame, that a written description cannot do them justice.
It's intended as a comedy, over the top, marketing campaign. It's not really that funny.

You have to wonder looking at some of the TV ads just what the team / agency was thinking. I have sat in on a few early TV ad meetings, definitely some seem to be on a different planet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stanley_bomb_squad Travel 24
S Living Overseas 23
niner_domestic Canada 4

Latest Threads