Canada Goes to Pot

So 'da weed' becomes legal, wonder how this will pan out? how long before some politico here jumps on the bandwagon for the youff,snowflake,student and efnik vote, Greens and Limp Dems for sure Corbyn ?

Winners and losers as Canada legalises pot

Was in Canada a few weeks ago, already have name for shops that sell - Weed Stores.
Can't you spell?

Oh. You're trying to be cool.

With any luck those who voted for Hairboy last time will be so baked they will forget to show up at the polls next Oct.
I bet that it was his promise to legalise pot that swung an awful lot of voters to the Grits in 2015. His welshing on electoral reform will hopefully cost him dearly.

As for myself, I don't smoke the horrible shit, so the only thing I'm really looking forward to on the 17th is an end to these tedious marijuana "news" items.

I bet that it was his promise to legalise pot that swung an awful lot of voters to the Grits in 2015. His welshing on electoral reform will hopefully cost him dearly.
Having seen the clusterfuck that came out of the Bavarian elections yesterday, I'm rather happy that the First past the Post system is still in effect in Canada.

Having seen the clusterfuck that came out of the Bavarian elections yesterday, I'm rather happy that the First past the Post system is still in effect in Canada.
I'd rather have FPTP than to see the NDP or the Greens perpetually playing king makers every election. The Greens might secure 7% of the vote, but they're a lunatic fringe party as far as I'm concerned.

I just seem to think that in the mind set of the soft left tobacco and alcohol are bad and should be driven as socially unacceptable but pot is cool and right on? Will there be 'weed tourism' from the USA as people come over the boarder to get stoned for the week-end, as was the case with alcohol during prohibition?

Things are going to po... err from bad to worse.

This photo was taken in a recruiting office in Montreal yesterday.

Meanwhile, in a Senior Rates' mess near you in the very near future

I remember the days when the survival equipment in life rafts included packs of ciggies to stop the stricken matelots, gasping for a fag, entering withdrawal as they waited for rescue. No doubt Canadian Navy life rafts will be getting nicked right off the decks for the survival ganja rations.

I just seem to think that in the mind set of the soft left tobacco and alcohol are bad and should be driven as socially unacceptable but pot is cool and right on? Will there be 'weed tourism' from the USA as people come over the boarder to get stoned for the week-end, as was the case with alcohol during prohibition?
Depends on where you live in the states. It's already legal in certain states. And having to have a passport/ border crossing makes it a bit more difficult.

And alcohol and tobacco are much worse in terms of social costs and damage, compared to lots of drugs. They just happen to be more acceptable and widely available, legally.

I bet that it was his promise to legalise pot that swung an awful lot of voters to the Grits in 2015.
No, it had to do with so many people hating Harper (including more than a few Conservatives) and the NDP failing to look like the best alternative. The election was neck and neck until near the end when the Liberals pulled ahead (when Harper went full retard on "the Moose-limbs are going to murder us in our beds" in Quebec). The pot issue was popular with some people, but I doubt that it actually resulted in many people actually changing their vote.

His welshing on electoral reform will hopefully cost him dearly.
I doubt it. People stopped really caring about changing the electoral system once the memory of Harper had faded. It was only because Harper was so hated by so many people that there was any interest in it.

The only party that really stood to benefit was the NDP, and they worked together with the Conservatives to sabotage any possibility of change because they weren't going to get what they wanted (the Liberals were proposing the least change possible to the current system but the NDP wanted full proportionality). The Liberals could have forced a vote through, but agreed not to unless the other major parties also supported it.

Neither the Liberals nor the Conservatives had any real self interest in changing a system that gave them majorities with less than 40% of the vote, and the NDP screwed themselves by holding out for more than they were going to get.

With no support from the Conservatives or the NDP, the Liberals dropped it. Once it was dropped from parliamentary discussion it pretty quickly faded from the news and I haven't heard a peep about it from anyone since (until you brought it up).

Interest may possibly be revived by the upcoming municipal elections in Ontario, but I doubt it. I suspect it's a dead issue and never had much genuine public support to begin with.

Cool. Let's have a few joints to celebrate the fact that it's now over and legal? ;)
Commercial pot grow operations are as unpopular as pig barns for pretty much the same reason - nobody likes to live near the foul stench.

Medical pot greenhouses anger residents, irk officials | CBC News
"I just noticed a skunk smell in the spring and thought I had a family of skunks in my ravine — and come to find out it was actually marijuana," she said.
Across her neighbourhood, she explained "the talk is always about the odour."
Cornies: Cannabis industry leaves bad smell with some counties
In a June blog post for the Ontario Professional Planners Institute, Mat Vaughan, principal planner for Norfolk County, put it this way: “Can you imagine living next to 10,000 skunks? For some Ontario residents, this is their new reality.”
In Norfolk, Vaughan says, more than two dozen “alternative” production sites, financed by individual growers and their designates (and unregulated by Health Canada), have already cropped up. Politicians regularly field complaints from neighbouring homeowners whose clothes, houses and cars reek of cannabis, and whose children must go to school smelling of weed. At least three property owners, Vaughan said this week, have abandoned their properties altogether.

Apart from the increased stink and it does stink , All these happy hippies will end up with legally made lung cancer instead of illegally made cancer and assorted lung issues. It should be treated with the same contempt as smoking tobacco, if you smoke anything you should be lower down the transplant lists etc .

Linky

I assume the level of tax on legal pot from the Weed Store will be at the same level as tobacco and alcohol ? also one of the justifications for this change in the law was to remove distribution and sale of said weed from criminal gangs. However, the criminal distribution networks are well in place and will, no doubt, undercut the legal shops prices as in the case of bootleg fags and booze?