Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspired' terror attack on train

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by STILTS, Apr 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Canada's authorities say they have arrested and charged two people with conspiring to carry out an "al-Qaeda inspired" attack on a passenger train.

At a news conference, the authorities said the suspects Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, were arrested in Montreal and Toronto on Monday.

BBC News - Canada foils 'al-Qaeda inspired' terror attack on train

2. Well done Canuks.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

linking to iran - oh oh
    • Like Like x 3
  4. If one wants to be cynical, one could speculate that CSIS dredged up a few low grade nutters they had been keeping an eye on to provide suitable background and justification for the revisions to existing anti-terrorism legislation currently before the house. That legislation had been hibernating as a low priority bill and wasn't expected to come before the house any time soon, but has suddenly been brought forward for emergency debate today, displacing the existing schedule.

The "emergency" though isn't due to some perceived immanent terrorist threat. The actual emergency is a Conservative Party backbencher revolt from members who are tired of being micro-managed by Prime Minister Harper. An opposition motion to limit the power of party whips was scheduled for today (Monday), but that has now been postponed due to this change until later in the week until after a Conservative caucus meeting where the leadership are expected to get out the rubber hoses to knock their own backbenchers back into line. Enough disgruntled Conservatives were predicted to vote with the opposition that the motion had a very good chance of passing.

If you want to be even more cynical, you could say that the motion was being introduced by the Liberals to help feed discontent in the Conservative backbenches.

So, the point that I am coming to here is that the timing of this arrest is probably unrelated to anything other than rather boring party politics.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

6. Nobody takes the bloody VIA trains, They are ancient, expensive and don't run that often.
    Ironically, much like the RCMP ;-)
    • Like Like x 4
  7. An 'AQ-inspired' attack sounds a lot more frightening than a 'Lawrence of Arabia-inspired' attack.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Careful now, there was no devious plot to lead the Sheriff of Mecca astray in the most peaceful province of the Ottoman empire in order to thwart post Sykes-Picot French designs on Damascus. It's just AQ, all they do is blow shit up, they are never likely to comprehensively **** up an entire region in the manner of Franco-British rivalry a century ago.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Sounds just like Qom.
  10. I took the train home on leave twice during the 70's, the second time because I couldn't believe the first time...
    12 hours to cover a distance that I managed in just over two in a car.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The plot revealed:
  12. Are you saying that this is just 'security theatre' in order to push new laws through? Who gave them that idea?

Being slightly less cynical- how the fcuk do you get caught with a plot like this? I am no expert on the matter but I doubt it is difficult to derail a train, once you have learned how to make explosive.
  13. On the BBC they are saying that the plot was supported by AQ in IRAN... which must be some kind of contradiction; meanwhile, they are also saying it was a connecting service between Canada and the US.

Do the Americans really need to link this to Iran?
  14. Large numbers of Canadians have travelled to Syria and Egypt to fight, and there are lots of Jihadis still there. There are lots of news stories on the Internet, but I haven't seen anything in the media here about it.
    I guess Canada is very "enriched" these days.