Canada arrests Huawei’s global chief financial officer in Vancouver

A deal has been cut with the US to end the Meng affair.
Meng Wanzhou enters deferred prosecution agreement in U.S., clearing a path to drop her extradition

Meng plead not guilty in a US court in New York via a video link.

She will sign a "deferred prosecution agreement" which expires at the end of next year. If she does whatever it says in the agreement (not released yet, but presumably something to do with not doing business with Iran) then charges will be dropped when the agreement expires.

The US judge accepted the deal.

The US have said they will inform Canada "promptly" that they are withdrawing the extradition request.

The matter goes back to a BC court today in about an hour from the time of this posting.

I will post when I have more news, but I won't be surprised to see Meng head back home relatively soon.

If it all works out then that's the end of that end of this.

Attention will next turn to Canada negotiating a deal with China for the release of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig.

In a hearing that lasted less than 15 minutes, the court in BC have dropped extradition proceedings against Meng and said she is free to go.
B.C court drops extradition case after Meng Wanzhou enters deferred prosecution agreement in U.S.

Later Friday afternoon, B.C. Supreme Court Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes officially ended the Canadian proceedings, signing an order to discharge the U.S. extradition request and vacate Meng's bail conditions.

She addressed Meng directly before ending a hearing that lasted less than 15 minutes.

"You have been cooperative and courteous throughout the proceedings and the court appreciates and thanks you for that," Holmes said.

Canadian legal officials said that Meng is free to leave Canada.
In a media statement issued this evening, the federal Department of Justice confirmed that "Meng Wanzhou is free to leave Canada."

SO110369

Clanker
In a hearing that lasted less than 15 minutes, the court in BC have dropped extradition proceedings against Meng and said she is free to go.
B.C court drops extradition case after Meng Wanzhou enters deferred prosecution agreement in U.S.

Canadian legal officials said that Meng is free to leave Canada.
...and having said that I doubt very much that the issue of the two Micheals will be dealt with with alacrity by the CCP. I suspect it feels an example needs to be made in case anyone else decides to pull the dragon's tail for something similar in the future, and I'd be very surprised to see any movement on the two captives situation on the Chinese government's part in the near term, if at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.

...and having said that I doubt very much that the issue of the two Micheals will be dealt with with alacrity by the CCP. I suspect it feels an example needs to be made in case anyone else decides to pull the dragon's tail for something similar in the future, and I'd be very surprised to see any movement on the two captives situation on the Chinese government's part in the near term, if at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.
According to the second story the fate of the two Canadians in prison in China will be the subject of negotiations between the US and China. Canada will have some input, but it's mainly between the US and China. The Chinese see the US as being the ones behind it all, so it will be the US who have to resolve it.

Colin Robertson, who served as a Canadian diplomat in China, said he expects talks between Washington and Beijing will now pivot to returning the two men home.

"You would get the plea by Meng Wanzhou and then at some later date we would see the two Michaels deported back to Canada, but I would not expect it to follow in a matter of days," he told CBC's The Early Edition.

"This would be a negotiation involving Canada but it would be principally between the U.S. and China."

The happy end but why this circus was lasting 3 years?

Lawyers dear boy, and long pockets
Small boys tried playing big boys' games and when the US electorate sent them to the naughty step the grown-ups had to clear up the mess.

SO110369

Clanker
Meng has left Canada on a plane. Spavor and Kovrig have left China on a plane together with Canada's ambassador to China and are on their way back to Canada.
Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, detained in China almost 3 years, now on plane home

There's not much else at this time. Most of the story is just a very brief summary of events in the affair.
Proving from the CCP's perspective hostage diplomacy works. A message has been sent to the International community.

And unfortunately given who "won" our election Monday, normal Canadian Government/China programming will likely resume shortly with the whole sad episode being swept under the table...

An Irishman, Richard O'Halloran, has been stuck in a Chinese hotel for two years now after being denied the right to leave the country, because of a problem with a leased aircraft. He is completely clean on this issue but can't leave the country. he was originally sent in to sort the mess about who actually owned the aircraft and was held by the Chinese and despite diplomatic effort,he is stuck there.

which they evidently did with oodles of carpet to sweep it under- until the carpet is moved.
Given the lack of evidence provided so far, it's likely to have proved highly embarrassing for the US had she ever actually reached a court.

Given the lack of evidence provided so far, it's likely to have proved highly embarrassing for the US had she ever actually reached a court.
Ah it's not the lack of evidence- it's the reluctance to give it, not that I am white knighting the US, rather highlighting that it saves face all round.

An Irishman, Richard O'Halloran, has been stuck in a Chinese hotel for two years now after being denied the right to leave the country, because of a problem with a leased aircraft. He is completely clean on this issue but can't leave the country. he was originally sent in to sort the mess about who actually owned the aircraft and was held by the Chinese and despite diplomatic effort,he is stuck there.
So what does China want from Ireland?

Small boys tried playing big boys' games and when the US electorate sent them to the naughty step the grown-ups had to clear up the mess.
Canada has been lobbying the US for quite some time to settle the case with a deal of this nature. Trump wasn't interested in listening, although he did say he would trade her for a favourable trade deal with China.

Biden apparently has listened and made a deal. The question now is whether the US got something from Canada in return or whether they looked at how things were going pear shaped for them in Vancouver with respect to the abuse of process issue and the US involvement in that and decided to cut their losses and call it a day. Or quite possibly it was a combination of both.

One of the bargaining chips which Canada has been holding in reserve is a Huawei ban. If that gets announced in the next few months then we'll know what Ottawa traded with the US to get a deal to release Meng (and by extension Kovrig and Spavor).

So what does China want from Ireland?
The Chinese partner allegedly left investors in the leasing company that owns the aircraft in the lurch so he was found and jailed but the actual aircraft is abroad and still working away and earning money so the investors, who don't appear to understand the concept that they might lose money in a risky venture, put the arm on the Chinese Govt to find the miscreant, get the aircraft back and still make money. O'Halloran was sent in to sort it and was doing well but when he tried to go home, he was held at the airport and effectively put under hotel "house arrest".

A quick google turns up this story:
Irishman barred from leaving China appeals to Beijing
The Chinese owner of the China International Aviation Leasing Service is being prosecuted for defrauding investors.

O’Halloran seems to be held as a witness, although not charged.

This sounds very similar to what in the US would be known as a "material witness". In the US he could be not just be prevented from leaving the country, but also held in prison indefinitely without the same legal protections with respect to interrogation or imprisonment that someone being charged would have. If you google for "us abuse of material witness" you will turn up numerous cases. The US arrests thousands of "material witnesses" every year, almost all of them foreigners.