Can Your Bounty Be Withheld Until Mess Bills Are Paid?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cpl_Inuendo, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dilema!!

Can the RSM of a TA Regiment withold Bounty signoff stating that to have your Bounty Cert authorised your mess bill has to be paid off in full? In my eyes this shouldn't be allowed - some thoughts on this matter would be gratefully received

2. forgot to mention that we are not talking hundreds of pounds here!! and the mess bill was going to be paid in full once bounty received.

3. msr

msr LE

It is the CO who signs your Certificate of Efficiency and I don't believe that being current with your mess bill is a requirement to meet this.

However, you should clear your mess bills promptly. Unless, I suppose, it is so large that you need your bounty to do this ;)

msr

4. the mess bill in question is less than one hundred pounds and this sum is from the xmas draw so not exceptionally overdue - I accept that they should be paid and kept up to date just seems a little harsh

5. msr

msr LE

I think you'll find it is supposed to be paid within 14 days...

So, little sympathy I'm afraid.

msr

6. It’s the CO that signs it off. If the RSM is saying don’t sign this one because Sgt X does not meet his commitment to the mess by not paying his mess bill, don’t see that you have a leg to stand on. What example does this set to other mess members? Does not paying the mess bill have a detrimental effect on the unit?

My advice, pay your mess bill. Then write a letter to the PMC to sort out whatever is wrong. Your issues will be dealt with more favourably if you are not a debtor. If the RSM has made the link to you between bounty and mess bill, cough up. RSM has the ear of the CO and I guess you don’t.

Having said that, seems a bit harsh.

Good luck

7. Not paying your mess bill on time is an offence under QRs - I would pay up and shut up if I was you!!

8. at leasts its not me its the old man this is the first year for me with no bounty in 16 years retirement and family take a precidence - he had his ear chewed off by me for not paying it - told him just to cough up and shut up - just wondered what you Arrsers thought.

9. The answer is yes. Paying your Mess Bill is a bounty requirement.

10. You don't have to pay your mess bill to gain a bounty, you just have to attempt to pay it..... :wink:

11. You must be up to date administrativly, signed for MOD 90, NOK print, etc. Payment of mess bill falls into this category and IS a bounty requirement.

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Whether your bounty hangs on payment of your Mess bill is a bit immaterial. If you have not paid up, and you mention Christmas draw (3 months ago?) then it is not the army/TA suffering but your own Mess members who are your colleagues and, I would have thought, friends.

So the answer IMHO is Pay up and shut up.

13. Time spent querying this on this forum could be better spent paying mess bill and receiving bounty.
    Also, PMC doesn't have to waste his Wednesday afternoon phoning debtors - just like today!

14. With Admin skills like yours mate (i.e. waiting to pay bills after your bounty has been paid), I'll bet there's more to you than meets the eye.

You say you're not talking hundreds of pounds, so why don't you just pay it and stop looking for a way to buck the system.

15. the copy of mess rules i got when i got promoted to sgt stated that mess bills were to be paid quaterly so i didnt pay the first two(and my name was spelt wrong i had only been in the ta 10 years at this point) went to pay the 3months worth when i recived the 3rd bill to be met with both barrels from the sgt major "why haven't you paid up" etc etc i put my point across about mess rules and was told to wind my neck in and pay it monthly so i said when i get a bill with my name on it i will 15minutes later i had one so i paid it and the copys of mess rules got changed to say pay monthly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.