Can you work it out....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by johnboy91, Nov 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Imagine a plane is sat on the beginning of a massive conveyor belt type
    arrangement, as wide and as long as a runway, and intends to take off.

The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels
    at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.

There is no wind.

Can the plane take off?
  2. Probably possible, but I would imagine it's slightly more expensive than putting wheels on a plane. ;)
  3. Do your own homework.
  4. No forward speed = no lift. No take off.
  5. No. If you want me to explain why, grab a blackboard, some different coloured chalk and allow yourself about an hour to sit and learn :wink:
  6. Computer says No :roll:
  7. yes it works

watch mythbusters
  8. Yes.
    Unless you have one of those weird planes that has a gearbox that drives the wheels to accelerate it down the runway, in which case the answer is no.
  9. Its the same theory as, If i fired a rifle of the back of a train, travelling at the exact same speed as the round, what would happen?
  10. Yes.
  11. If the wheels have no resistance (which I will assume given that this appears to be either GCSE or A-level work, where this is normally assumed to be the case) then the conveyor belt will match the speed of the wheels, forming an immediately infinitely fast wheel speed. At the same time, the plane will still move forward (because the propellor/jets provide the thrust, not the wheels) independantly of any wheel movement.

If the wheels have resistance (as in real life) then in all likelyhood, the wheels will soon be turning at such a rate that they either cause the aircraft to reach terminal velocity (which may or may not allow take-off) or break the landing gear (which will prevent take off).
  12. Wouldn't be able to take off in Britain. The conveyor belt would break, the plane would be delayed and it's always fucking windy.
  13. then how it the conveyer belt meant to match the planes speed?

also the plane is intending to take off