Can you transfer jobs in the RAF?

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by richard_jn, Nov 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you join the RAF as a firefighter for example, after 4 years (or whatever) could you apply to do a different job within the RAF, such as apply to the RAF Police for example? Or is the job you go in as, the job you do for your whole RAF career?
    Thanks

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

In general terms, it is possible to remuster to a different trade in the RAF, providing you meet all the qualification requirements of the new trade, have served 36 months after phase 2 training in your current trade and your current trade is not undermanned.

3. As VB states, it is possible. You'll need to speak to your desired trade sponsor though. I've known a number of SAC's & Cpl's that have remustered.

Daxx - Please note the Forum title! Whilst perhaps he could have gone to E-Goat, this is a perfectly legitimate forum for his question!

4. Why would you want to do two stints in Crab-Air? Surly it's better to PVR and join a proper military organisation instead?

5. Oh come one Lefty! Why get shouted at when you can just have a stern letter sent to you instead!

6. A 'stern letter' really? Are things in the RAF that bad now; when did you guys do away with the 'quiet word'?

The WRVS lady must be hellishly busy these days... Has RAFA brought shares in Kleenx?

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The RAF have never felt the need to employ WRVS ladies; all the lonely, homesick, pimply youths who miss their mothers so much they seek solace in a 'club' run by batty old women join the Army...

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

You can only transfer up or across pay bands,for example an Armourer such as I was,who is in trade group 1 cannot transfer to a trade in a lower trade group.That was the case when I was in so I assume it's still the same.

9. Although possible the chances of being allowed to do it are small. If the trade you wanted to move into was particularly undermanned, and the one you were already in was okay you have a chance, but only after a lot of justification.

10. I transfered down from AV tech to Int about 5 years ago, which was TG2 to TG14 (now TG11), so it can be done. If its not part of a trawl though, you can lose your pay if you go to low pay band from high.

11. You can only transfer up or across pay bands,for example an Armourer such as I was,who is in trade group 1 cannot transfer to a trade in a lower trade group.That was the case when I was in so I assume it's still the same.

That is and always was a factoid. I remustered in 1969 and I know others who also remustered both 'up' and 'down'. It all depended on the manning strength of the trade you were and the trade you wished to go to.