Can you transfer from reserve to full time

heinz59

Swinger
Hi,
If i May have to put going full time for a few reasons,
I’m looking into the reserves until I’m in a position to go full time.

Would be be possible to transfer from reserves to full time and change trades?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
As a reservist you can apply go FTRS. If a suitable vacancy exists and you fit the entry and medical criteria, you can apply to transfer to the Regular Army.

Chris Ryan will bore you to death with his TA SAS-Regular SAS story.

heinz59

Swinger
As a reservist you can apply go FTRS. If a suitable vacancy exists and you fit the entry and medical criteria, you can apply to transfer to the Regular Army.
So it looks look I’d have go through the application again? Cause the post I really want is regular only but I currently have issues which means full time isn’t possible for another 2 years ish

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Depends on the needs of the Army at the time.

cowgoesmoo

Clanker
Why not join the reserves now and see how you like it? You may find military life isn't for you.. You could then apply to join the regs in 2 years time when whatever issues are resolved. As you could only do your preferred trade in the regs then the only advantage I can see to transferring res-reg would be missing out basic training, which is only about 4 months anyway. A couple of years in the reserves would give you a head start with the very basics and give you the chance to concentrate on the important stuff over learning to polish boots, fire a weapon etc.

heinz59

Swinger
Why not join the reserves now and see how you like it? You may find military life isn't for you.. You could then apply to join the regs in 2 years time when whatever issues are resolved. As you could only do your preferred trade in the regs then the only advantage I can see to transferring res-reg would be missing out basic training, which is only about 4 months anyway. A couple of years in the reserves would give you a head start with the very basics and give you the chance to concentrate on the important stuff over learning to polish boots, fire a weapon etc.
Thank you :)
I do agree with seeing if military life suits me too.
I’ll have a look about phoning the centres near me.

I think my main fear was they would stop me from glinting for my “dream” trade

So it looks look I’d have go through the application again? Cause the post I really want is regular only but I currently have issues which means full time isn’t possible for another 2 years ish
Join the reserves, get skill-at-arms and learn to shoot, get your fitness up. It won't be quite the culture shock and you will already be ahead of the game when you join the regulars in two years

heinz59

Swinger
Join the reserves, get skill-at-arms and learn to shoot, get your fitness up. It won't be quite the culture shock and you will already be ahead of the game when you join the regulars in two years
I can already shoot, but I know army shooting is a whole different kettle of fish. :)

Yeah fitness is a huge thing I need to get ahead with everyone cause I’ll be 30 in two years

No. If I’d rebadged, I’d would have had to do the relevant Ph2, but not Ph1. The DIN says, in essence, if your CoC is willing to sponsor a transfer, there should be no need for a reshow on Phase 1.

Last edited:

heinz59

Swinger
No. If I’d rebadged, I’d would have had to do the relevant Ph2, but not Ph1. The DIN says, in essence, if your CoC is willing to sponsor a transfer, there should be no need for a reshow on Phase 1.
That’s brilliant thank you,
Do you mind answering another question?
Do I submit an application then look at centres or just phone the nearby centres then submit my application?

Just go straight for the regs. If it’s still the same you will do minimum basic with the TA so you can point a weapon in the right direction, learn to march a bit and you may get to shoot once or twice a year. Regs will think you are a w@nker and generally pour derision on you on the odd occasion you bump into them. If you decide to go in you will have to do your full basic anyway and the lads instructing on your cadre will treat you like a tw@t.

The nearest you will get to feeling the culture is putting a uniform on on Tuesday night and the odd weekend. Where it’s similar is people with between one to three stripes can be thick as pig shit but are generally lovely blokes and salt of the earth.

Pile in. Go to the regs.

Just saying

Edited to add:

Infantry walk everywhere in the cold and rain. Pick something where you get transport as it’s more civilised. That said, mortars is recce get to drive around a bit but it’s the more experienced blokes in support company.

Rifles march well. Everyone else are like windmills and look proper stupid as they are dead slow

Last edited:
Regs will think you are a w@nker and generally pour derision on you on the odd occasion you bump into them. If you decide to go in you will have to do your full basic anyway and the lads on tour cadre will treat you like a tw@t.
I’m not going to claim it doesn’t happen, but it definitely wasn’t my experience. If you’re good at your job, you’ll have very few problems.

Latest Threads