Can you sign a passport application?

Hi Guys

Not sure if this question goes here but wasnt sure where else to post.

Have been having a debate with a couple of mates over this and wondering if anyone has the answer...

Whilst applying for a new passport as have somehow managed to misplace mine, I needed to find someone to signed the declaration part and picture. I know that they accept doctors, bank managers, solicitors etc, but it also said 'civil servant'.

Was wondering if a Member of the Armed forces counts as a 'civil servant' and is authorise to Certify/declare on a passport application. Was also wondering if it applies to Cadet Adult Instructors?

I know its a bit of a strange one but any ideas/views on subject would be greatly appreciated for the continuation of the debate.

Hi

No, the armed forces are not part of the Civil Service. They're separate organisations.

As I understand it, it has to be an Commissioned Officer (or Civil Service equivilent rank) to sign the forms, photos etc for you.

PB

I believe anyone of "good standing" within the community can sign a passport.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mine was signed by a good friend who is a Petty Officer in the Navy. They didn't bat an eyelid.

Legally, a GP, nurse, pharmacist and prison officer can also sign for passports. Obviously they have to be known to you for i believe around 2 years? i could be wrong on the time limit.

my signaller mate signed mine last august no problem there

IIRC, the requirement is that it should be signed by a member of a professional institution or of equivalent standing. In other words, someone who would be severely embarrassed in their professional life if they were to give a false declaration.

From a military perspective, this probably means SSgt or above. I wouldn't risk it with ACF ranks, though.

bossyboots said:
Legally, a GP, nurse, pharmacist and prison officer can also sign for passports. Obviously they have to be known to you for i believe around 2 years? i could be wrong on the time limit.
my wife signs mines off and had no come backs from it

When i got mine done i rang them up and they said any military rank will do as proved a signaller signed mine.

I wonder if you make up any mickey mouse countersignatory, would it be checked?. Off course this would be falsification of document leading to a criminal offence!.

The_Cheat said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Minister of a recognised religion
So, any Rastafarian, then?
Isn't Jedi recognised now because of what happened on the census?

T C
The National Statistics Office recorded 390,000 of the 52,000,000 people in England and Wales wrote in 'Jedi' on their census form!!

Read the small print.
I sent mine in without a countersignature and the new passport was back in a week.
You only need it signed if your picture is so different to the current one that it's unrecognisable.
Cheers
Scratch