Can you sign a passport application?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GreenBaby, Jul 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys

Not sure if this question goes here but wasnt sure where else to post.

Have been having a debate with a couple of mates over this and wondering if anyone has the answer...

Whilst applying for a new passport as have somehow managed to misplace mine, I needed to find someone to signed the declaration part and picture. I know that they accept doctors, bank managers, solicitors etc, but it also said 'civil servant'.

Was wondering if a Member of the Armed forces counts as a 'civil servant' and is authorise to Certify/declare on a passport application. Was also wondering if it applies to Cadet Adult Instructors?

I know its a bit of a strange one but any ideas/views on subject would be greatly appreciated for the continuation of the debate.

2. Hi

No, the armed forces are not part of the Civil Service. They're separate organisations.

As I understand it, it has to be an Commissioned Officer (or Civil Service equivilent rank) to sign the forms, photos etc for you.

PB

3. I believe anyone of "good standing" within the community can sign a passport.

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Mine was signed by a good friend who is a Petty Officer in the Navy. They didn't bat an eyelid.

5. My RSM signed my Daughters 3 weeks ago, Its now done. Sitting on the desk in front of me.

6. They've got awfully strict now, I wouldnt take the risk.

7. A policeman can sign or a commissioned officer or a JP.

8. Legally, a GP, nurse, pharmacist and prison officer can also sign for passports. Obviously they have to be known to you for i believe around 2 years? i could be wrong on the time limit.

9. ...or indeed a teacher - a teacher mate signed mine as per the instructions on the passport paperwork.

10. my signaller mate signed mine last august no problem there

11. IIRC, the requirement is that it should be signed by a member of a professional institution or of equivalent standing. In other words, someone who would be severely embarrassed in their professional life if they were to give a false declaration.

From a military perspective, this probably means SSgt or above. I wouldn't risk it with ACF ranks, though.

12. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

my wife signs mines off and had no come backs from it

13. Take a chance if you want but don't come crying.........................

14. When i got mine done i rang them up and they said any military rank will do as proved a signaller signed mine.