• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Can you sign a passport application?

Hi Guys

Not sure if this question goes here but wasnt sure where else to post.

Have been having a debate with a couple of mates over this and wondering if anyone has the answer...

Whilst applying for a new passport as have somehow managed to misplace mine, I needed to find someone to signed the declaration part and picture. I know that they accept doctors, bank managers, solicitors etc, but it also said 'civil servant'.

Was wondering if a Member of the Armed forces counts as a 'civil servant' and is authorise to Certify/declare on a passport application. Was also wondering if it applies to Cadet Adult Instructors?

I know its a bit of a strange one but any ideas/views on subject would be greatly appreciated for the continuation of the debate.

Hi

No, the armed forces are not part of the Civil Service. They're separate organisations.

As I understand it, it has to be an Commissioned Officer (or Civil Service equivilent rank) to sign the forms, photos etc for you.

PB

Legally, a GP, nurse, pharmacist and prison officer can also sign for passports. Obviously they have to be known to you for i believe around 2 years? i could be wrong on the time limit.

IIRC, the requirement is that it should be signed by a member of a professional institution or of equivalent standing. In other words, someone who would be severely embarrassed in their professional life if they were to give a false declaration.

From a military perspective, this probably means SSgt or above. I wouldn't risk it with ACF ranks, though.

bossyboots said:
Legally, a GP, nurse, pharmacist and prison officer can also sign for passports. Obviously they have to be known to you for i believe around 2 years? i could be wrong on the time limit.
my wife signs mines off and had no come backs from it

I wonder if you make up any mickey mouse countersignatory, would it be checked?. Off course this would be falsification of document leading to a criminal offence!.

Read the small print.
I sent mine in without a countersignature and the new passport was back in a week.
You only need it signed if your picture is so different to the current one that it's unrecognisable.
Cheers
Scratch

Latest Threads