Can you join as a Regular then later on go to Sandhurst?

Bray

Crow
There are clearly some blokes here who might know enough to comment so I’m going to ask here rather than create a whole new topic.

I am in early stages of the process myself and have a million and one questions that I’d rather not go gobbing off to every officer in the Regiment with. I understand these would all be answered in time but the current climate has me sat at home restless so any help would be appreciated.

When going to Sandhurst for a DE commissioning course as an already serving solider, are you expected to bring any of the 1157 kit, high ticket items like respirator or helmet etc. But even down to shirts and trousers and do TRFs/patches have to be removed prior to attendance if so.

If opting to commission into the same Corps is there a marked advantage?

I’m aware medals are worn when in mess dress/1s etc but Is Rank expected to be worn at other times or essentially left at the door?

Cheers

Oyibo

LE
There are clearly some blokes here who might know enough to comment so I’m going to ask here rather than create a whole new topic.

I am in early stages of the process myself and have a million and one questions that I’d rather not go gobbing off to every officer in the Regiment with. I understand these would all be answered in time but the current climate has me sat at home restless so any help would be appreciated.

When going to Sandhurst for a DE commissioning course as an already serving solider, are you expected to bring any of the 1157 kit, high ticket items like respirator or helmet etc. But even down to shirts and trousers and do TRFs/patches have to be removed prior to attendance if so.

If opting to commission into the same Corps is there a marked advantage?

I’m aware medals are worn when in mess dress/1s etc but Is Rank expected to be worn at other times or essentially left at the door?

Cheers

[Disclosure - it's a very long time since I did it.]

Basically I went to RMAS having handed in everything to my parent unit except clothing (working dress, DPM kit, No2s, boots). Everything else was kept by my unit, and I didn't have to know what to hand in - I was told. So back in the day, helmet, respirator etc were taken from my sweaty palms by my parent unit rather than me giving it.

Once at RMAS there is a quite lengthy induction process, mostly paperwork but for those who have already served one hands ones uniform into the stores. All details of relevant badges (e.g. wings) and decorations (but not rank) are noted when the kit is taken. Pre-RMAS rank was left in the stores.

One of the nice things at the time was that when one eventually got one's new kit was that it was all sized correctly and if any tailoring was needed (for Blues) and any applicable qual badges sewing on, it was all done for you. Bit of a change from being issued kit as a soldier. The kit is not something to lose sleep about.

Regarding going back to the same Regiment or Corps (which I did), it depends on a whole host of factors - what is the attitude of the officers to that; will you be working with many people who used to outrank you; is it actually the place where you can be happy and make a really successful career? There's no hard and fast answer, but I would argue that as an officer you are expected to be good as a leader, and not a technician so having previously served gives an advantage initially but one needs to concentrate on the leadership (besides, what Pl Sgt wants the Pl Comd doing his job for him?).

Don't sweat the admin side, but have a good think about the very different nature of the job you will be required to do if commissioned.

[Final reminder - it's a very long time since I did it.]

If you are in the ranks and looking to make the step to apply for Sandhurst the questions have been in the main answered. It's an apply through the CoC and then wait for the cogs to engage.
However, if its a choice of joining and then trying for Sandhurst from within the ranks -or-going direct for Sandhurst I would always opt for the later. There are lots of less obvious barriers to getting recommended such as obnoxious personalities in your parent Regiment.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
[Disclosure - it's a very long time since I did it.]

Basically I went to RMAS having handed in everything to my parent unit except clothing (working dress, DPM kit, No2s, boots). Everything else was kept by my unit, and I didn't have to know what to hand in - I was told. So back in the day, helmet, respirator etc were taken from my sweaty palms by my parent unit rather than me giving it.

Once at RMAS there is a quite lengthy induction process, mostly paperwork but for those who have already served one hands ones uniform into the stores. All details of relevant badges (e.g. wings) and decorations (but not rank) are noted when the kit is taken. Pre-RMAS rank was left in the stores.

One of the nice things at the time was that when one eventually got one's new kit was that it was all sized correctly and if any tailoring was needed (for Blues) and any applicable qual badges sewing on, it was all done for you. Bit of a change from being issued kit as a soldier. The kit is not something to lose sleep about.

Regarding going back to the same Regiment or Corps (which I did), it depends on a whole host of factors - what is the attitude of the officers to that; will you be working with many people who used to outrank you; is it actually the place where you can be happy and make a really successful career? There's no hard and fast answer, but I would argue that as an officer you are expected to be good as a leader, and not a technician so having previously served gives an advantage initially but one needs to concentrate on the leadership (besides, what Pl Sgt wants the Pl Comd doing his job for him?).

Don't sweat the admin side, but have a good think about the very different nature of the job you will be required to do if commissioned.

[Final reminder - it's a very long time since I did it.]
It's still the same. The OP's QM chain will remove some items and new will be issued at RMAS. Medals, qualifications badges etc are worn on No 1 Dress so you will stand out a mile on parade.

Typically, these days, some 7 or 8% are from the ranks and will have served perhaps 6 years and be at the rank of Cpl (of course, there are exceptions, one young chap came here as a Pte with 2 years' service). Typically they sail through the first term since ironing their kit, marching up and down, PT, weapons trg, living in the field, section level tactics etc are already ingrained (indeed they may have been instructors in those subjects). This makes them incredibly invaluable to those cadets with zero military experience and to those from other countries.

The course becomes increasingly academic and the training more complex as the months go by and you'll end up with something like this (CV-19 allowing) - a clip of my old mucker, King Abdullah:

Latest Threads