Can you identify this man?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by crabby, Jul 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached is a picture of an actor I am desperately trying to remember the name of. He's been in loads of war films and I'm pretty sure he was in a lot of the "classics" from the 50s. For the life of me I can't pin him down on a film to try and work out his name though. Can you help?

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      File size:
      9.5 KB
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

James Justice Robertson

Seen in the Doctor films - Use IMDB!
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

He was a bit of a dark horse and fought in the spainish civil war, Me and Max where talking about him the other day, read the real band of brothers, Spanish civil war. by Max Arthur all interesting stuff, he spoke 20 odd languages as well.
  5. What a fascinating character. A policeman for the League of Nations in Saarland? And an International Brigader? Wah!

I remember him from the Crackerbarrel cheese adverts very strongly. I particularly liked the film where he was a scientist who went on a bombing mission and was shot down and masqueraded as a PW. (Very Important Person)
  6. As irascible in real life as on screen. My father once suffered his presence in the next door sleeper cabin from London to Perth, he never stopped harrumphing the whole journey!

Do watch the Doctor films, utter classics.
  7. Is that legal?

He made some very good films
  8. Stop casting aspersions!

Guns of Navarone was one IIRC.
  9. Would I do that ;)

Also in Scott of the Antarctic
  10. A hardened drinker, apparantley drank a whole bottle of Whiskey in a drinking competition then went straight to do a speach or presentation and was flawless.
  11. He had a place near Skibo Castle,on the other side of the Dornoch Firth,from Tain Ranges.
    He was always phoning up RNAS Lossiemouth to complain about the noisy jets disturbing his birds(heavily into falconry),on the other side of the coin,he would always come across to Lossie,if one of the station falcons were a bit under the weather (no mean trip,back in the day),he was an honorary member of both the Wardroom,and the CPO's messes at Lossie,and used to appear unannounced in the OR's club from time to time,very entertaining man,and was a great supporter of the Armed Forces.
  12. Bloody good bloke was James Robertson Justice. Damned good actor. One wonders if he ever got his K?

13. He played Sir Lancelot Pratt in the doctor films. ;)
  14. Spratt !

"What's the bleeding time ?" etc, etc....
  15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Bugger. Saved me replying to the post. Oh, I did anyway.