Can you identify the cap badges please?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jontifree, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to identify the cap badge my grandad is wearing in the following photos. In the round photo he is the one on the left in the other photo he is the one standing.

Many thanks,

2. Royal Artillery?
  3. Might be the Duke of Wellingtons or the Border regt
  4. I could be wrong, but isn't it the Royal Artillery?
  5. looks like Royal Artillery to me but not sure if the cap badge was the same back then.
    im not 100% but sure somebody in here will be able to give you a definative answer

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Looks like one of these to me.

Attached Files:

7. It changed to a plastic version of the collar dog during the war.
  8. Ravers

The HAC Artillery Division badge is the same shape but with a different motto. If he was a Londoner there is also a possibility he might have been HAC.
  9. The two sat down in the second photo are from the Irish Guards. My dad seems to think that my Grandad spent some time in an Irish regiment such as the Irish Guards or one of the Inniskilling's (Dragoons possibly).

He also may have spent some time in the KSLI.

He was from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

But I do agree the badge in the second phot does look like an Artillery badge.

Thank you all for your help, any more ideas are welcome.

One other way I'm trying to track his movements is from the location of a Field Post Office (867) any ideas where I can track this down?

10. Looks all wrong for an RA cap badge, i'd say Green Howards
  11. msr

msr LE

Check your PMs
  12. Ravers

I still reckon it looks more like RA, if you look at the shape of the scroll at the bottom of the badge it curves up in the middle.

Attached Files:

13. I think Blue green might be right Iwas lokking in the 1914 badge book
  14. I can't see the images due to the IT police blocking them.

From what I've read It sounds like It may be the DWR one.