• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Can you identify the cap badges please?

I am trying to identify the cap badge my grandad is wearing in the following photos. In the round photo he is the one on the left in the other photo he is the one standing.

Many thanks,
Jonti

looks like Royal Artillery to me but not sure if the cap badge was the same back then.
im not 100% but sure somebody in here will be able to give you a definative answer

AJ-W

AJ-W said:
looks like Royal Artillery to me but not sure if the cap badge was the same back then.
im not 100% but sure somebody in here will be able to give you a definative answer

AJ-W
It changed to a plastic version of the collar dog during the war.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The HAC Artillery Division badge is the same shape but with a different motto. If he was a Londoner there is also a possibility he might have been HAC.

The two sat down in the second photo are from the Irish Guards. My dad seems to think that my Grandad spent some time in an Irish regiment such as the Irish Guards or one of the Inniskilling's (Dragoons possibly).

He also may have spent some time in the KSLI.

He was from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

But I do agree the badge in the second phot does look like an Artillery badge.

Thank you all for your help, any more ideas are welcome.

One other way I'm trying to track his movements is from the location of a Field Post Office (867) any ideas where I can track this down?

Thanks
Jonti

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Blue/GreenJob said:
Looks all wrong for an RA cap badge, i'd say Green Howards
I still reckon it looks more like RA, if you look at the shape of the scroll at the bottom of the badge it curves up in the middle.

Attachments

Ravers said:
Blue/GreenJob said:
I still reckon it looks more like RA, if you look at the shape of the scroll at the bottom of the badge it curves up in the middle.
It's a right conundrum, the top half of the badge doesn't look like "the gun that don't fire and the wheel that don't turn" tho' does it?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Blue/GreenJob said:
Ravers said:
Blue/GreenJob said:
It's a right conundrum, the top half of the badge doesn't look like "the gun that don't fire and the wheel that don't turn" tho' does it?
Bit of a tough one indeed. The top scroll is also arched by the looks of things as per RA, but the gun and wheel is hard to see as you point out.

Yes, sorry should have said. It is WW2.

He landed on Arromanches on D-Day, saw action in Arnhem and was later in the BAOR stationed at Belsen if that helps.

Latest Threads