Can you help me solve a mystery

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by marco_poloroid, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've checked every reference book known to man (Oxford English Dictionary/Roget's etc) but have had no luck as to why the word 'Gullible' is not, officially, a word. Has it evolved by word of mouth, as many 'street' words do, but has somehow avoided the official endorsement of the printed word. Just wondering.....

2. It's in my Chambers. Refers the reader to the word Gull which is a dupe or a fool. Gullible is a derivitive of this.

3. "Gullible" as in falling for a WAH!? perhaps?

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

5. 2 out of 3 ain't bad :D :D :D :wink:

Cheered me up for the weekend at least :twisted:

6. What about this:

gullible
    1793 (implied in gullibility), earlier cullibility (1728), probably connected to gull, a cant term for "dupe, sucker" (1594), which is of uncertain origin. It is perhaps from the bird (see gull (n.)), or from verb gull "to swallow" (1530, from O.Fr. goule, from L. gula "throat," see gullet); in either case with a sense of "someone who will swallow anything thrown at him." Another possibility is M.E. dial. gull "newly hatched bird" (1382), which is perhaps from O.N. golr "yellow," from the hue of its down.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

7. Yeeeeeeha!!! 2 outta 3. keep em coming! :D :lol:

8. Oooh, there goes my sides splitting.

9. Whoops.....3 outta 4 :oops: got excited with by the Wah count :roll:

10. is it muppet with 2 p's or one?

:D nice one

11. Now now £sd.... :D

Thought the NAAFI category might have been a clue :wink:

12. It's in my OED..... so is 'humungous'.

13. "Did you know gullible isn't in the english dictionary" - FatBoyGeorge, Age 7.

I however am not gullible; [guhl-uh-buhl]; adjective; easily deceived or cheated.

Saw you coming a mile off linky.

WAH