Can you forgive?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hector_Chavez_V, Mar 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have always been struck by the omnipresent levels of vitriol aimed at certain Republican figures who now stand in office (of sorts), judging by the levels and tone of response when anything to do with any of those chaps pops up the wounds are still fresh and very much open.

A good deal of my lot had lost their lives on Herrick when a troop
    of us settled down for a banyan with a couple of local chiefs and a number of ex Taliban. It wasn't exactly a roller disco but i learned in those 2 hours what their hopes and dreams were, how they now viewed the West's involvement in Afghanistan and one showed pictures of his family, in particular a sister who at that point I would have back stroked through cat shit to sniff her undercarriage.

Looking at them across the rug I didn't associate the individual with the act (the act of killing my colleagues), they in turn didn't seem too upset with us, one of said he remembers being afforded 5 minutes of ceasefire from the British when he went forward to pick up his mangled pal.

Are you sure some of you older lot aren't being a bit dramatic? I mean, you weren't at it every day, you were up against a near partisan group with a few thousand AKs and some swear words. In fairness to McGuiness and Adams and co they have played an integral part in getting those loosely on the road to recovery and I think without their persistent effort and community influence life wouldn't be as good in the Counties as it is now.

So am I understanding this wrong or are the scars too deep?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This should be interesting.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. One old guy stopped me at Euston Station once and did the 'nudge nudge wink wink' routine before telling me I shouldn't carry a bergan round in public because theres IRA about, I think they'd fragged a bus the day before.
    It's a shame for him, spending the rest of his life hiding behind the curtains looking out for a few bad tempered Irish men.
  4. Good question actually. be interesting to read the replies. Now, i know its the NAAFI but i'm going with a serious reply.

I did 4 tours there & came back with a small plate in my noggin & a lot of difficulties that came to the surface 20 years later. I have to say as time has gone on my indifference to those responsible for all the murder & mayhem has increased. Now, all I want is peace over there. Not because the locals deserve it but because I don't think the place is worthy of the life of another serviceman or Police officer.

My approach is, as long as peace reigns & we don't have to go back to the old days, the old kind can run for & be in office to their hearts content. Besides, they'll die like the rest of us & hopefully the new generation can see past the barbarity & bigotry of both sides of the divide & realise its all a load of shite & just get on with living.
    • Like Like x 9
  5. Good answer, (its in the NAAFI for the potential amount of dribbling it may attract)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I suspect one of the major differences is that if Mullah Omar or any other known Taliban leader went through a check point he'd be in an orange jumpsuit on his way to a waterboarding in Gitmo pretty fast. Whereas Adams and his ilk managed to live their lives with a certain amount of official protection rather than harassment.

And civil wars are always more bitter
  7. You never hear it from the Borneo/Aden/Radfan/Falklands ect chaps, a certain level of distaste exists purely for the IRA, in whatever guise.

8. I'm going to complain to my MP. The level of fishing has sunk to an all time low.
  9. But the enemy there were assorted darkies, towel heads, dagoes etc so are already looked down on and punished by being blackballed at the Golf club...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I used to work with a chap who once told me that after the IRA murdered a recruiter in Derby in the '90's he started checking his car before going to work in the morning. He'd been out of the Army for years and knew he was being paranoid but just couldnt help himself. Strange how the brain works.

Any, back on thread I think Ches has it bang on.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You should've said: ''Don't know what you are talking about mate, I got this bag down Camden market.''

I've gotta say it's always pissed me off when people make a big deal of wearing uniform in public etc. It's fucking pointless.

I would've thought the 6 pack of Stella, gash civvies, copy of Nuts magazine and the fact that I'm travelling through Waterloo on a Friday afternoon with a massive bag of dirty laundry, quite clearly identify me as a member of HM Forces.
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Fuck me, youll now trigger someone saying the still check windows and doors and hard target their way to work 78 years later :)
  13. We were hardly shy on the 'committing atrocities' approach either where we? Our behaviour early on secured the IRA with a never ending supply of embittered young men and women.
  14. Fecking 'ell..where's that ignore button
    • Like Like x 2
  15. So we were utterly faultless throughout? Go hire a skip you can lick :)