Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you become an RAF pilot regardless of height?

Maybe you could join the Guards they like tall chaps, and as they all wear slashed peaks or half a grizzly on their heads I doubt is many of them can see more that a couple of feet in front, so you would be a mong among mongs.

So his "legs" were only 1 foot 5? Give over.

The good news is that the bloke in the next bed wants to buy your slippers.
Bader used to sit on cushions and a pile of phone books, well known fact.

My slippers are, like my pit, swamped so he's more than welcome to them.

You have to be tall enough to see over the steering-wheel and not so tall that you bang your head on the ceiling.

But don't worry, in the event of total war you'll have a valuable role as self-propelled Hesco.

There may be some limit:

images

W!ll

Crow
sure this was 8/9 years ago, but still seems like an honest question. Sometimes you ask questions that you presume you know the answer to in hope that someone proves you wrong. It may have been a stupid but belittling him was the wrong way to go about it, he may have been willing to work twice as hard as you.
If he reads this I wish him all the best in his chosen path.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
sure this was 8/9 years ago, but still seems like an honest question. Sometimes you ask questions that you presume you know the answer to in hope that someone proves you wrong. It may have been a stupid but belittling him was the wrong way to go about it, he may have been willing to work twice as hard as you.

you are new,

it shows

Twat!

You are the Aviator and I claim my £5. Let me guess - you failed pilot selection/training?

Why on earth would you choose this as your first post unless

a) you ARE the original poster.

b) you wanted to ask the same question.

c) you are an officer.

d) you are 6 yrs old.

Only the last answer will get you a fair shake.

If one doesn't meet the physical requirements, it matters not how hard they are willing to work.

You can't be an electrician or technician if you're colour blind, for example. No ifs, ands, or buts, it's a flat "no". Parachutists and aircrew have specific eyesight requirements, there would be some inopportune moments to lose a contact lens or break one's glasses.

Fl/Lt Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor, VC, DSO, MC & Bar, DFC was killed at Upavon in 1921 when he lost control of his Sopwith Snipe during an aerobatic manouevre.
He was 5'2" tall, and always had to have cushion padding and blocks on rudder pedals to allow him to reach the controls of whatever he was flying, and it is believed that some of these bits and pieces became displaced during inverted flying.

He was practising for a Hendon air display.

The impressive collection of gongs were all earned within the space of four months.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fl/Lt Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor, VC, DSO, MC & Bar, DFC was killed at Upavon in 1921 when he lost control of his Sopwith Snipe during an aerobatic manouevre.
He was 5'2" tall, and always had to have cushion padding and blocks on rudder pedals to allow him to reach the controls of whatever he was flying, and it is believed that some of these bits and pieces became displaced during inverted flying.

He was practising for a Hendon air display.

The impressive collection of gongs were all earned within the space of four months.

W!ll

Crow
Why on earth would you choose this as your first post unless

a) you ARE the original poster.

b) you wanted to ask the same question.

c) you are an officer.

d) you are 6 yrs old.

Only the last answer will get you a fair shake
I’m not the original poster, I’ve got perfect eyesight, the only thing me and him share in common is height. I’m 6’5 and have been browsing around forums over the past day or 2 to look into RAF height requirements. I’ve got plenty of time so I feel in no rush to go meet a recruiter.
You guys went wild on this guy, even if it was a pretty dumb question

Last edited:
I’m not the original poster, I’ve got perfect eyesight, the only thing me and him share in common is height. I’m 6’5 and have been browsing around forums over the past day or 2 to look into RAF height requirements. I’ve got plenty of time so I feel in no rush to go meet a recruiter.
You guys went wild on this guy, even if it was a pretty dumb question
Thanks, that's what we ruffty tuffty, ex-soldiers do.

If you can't take a simple ribbing don't join up.

W!ll

Crow

I appreciate your advice, and you service for that matter but I can take it. As cliché as it sounds, I just didn't like seeing him fight alone.

Ani fule no the armed wing of the Avon ladies only have fighters and ground attack aircraft with tiny cramped cockpits.

The transport and maritime patrol role using larger multi engine aircraft is filled by tank drivers from the army when they have a day or two off from their regular duties.

Ritch

LE

Don't forget, the new generation is full of woke snowflakes.

White Knighting a poster on a dead thread on his first day. He/She/It/Sparkly Unicorn is a whole 'nother breed of speshul.

Latest Threads