Can you be Anti-War and Pro-Soldier?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by longtimeout, Aug 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,
    I've been watching a lot of Fox News lately (the hotel where I'm currently staying has a limited selection of channels), and it seems that they automatically associate anti-war sentiments with anti-soldier.

It seems that US thinking is that you must support the Government policy, right or wrong. I've even heard their rabidly neo-con "journalists" accuse anti-war activists of treason, on many occasions, even if they make clear their support of the soldiers involved.

In the (IMHO) slightly more rational thinking of the UK, is it possible too be Anti-War, but still Pro-Soldier? ie I'm against the War, but I support the soldiers in doing what they've been sent to do.

2. You have my condolences that all you have is Fox :wink:

It is possible, but alot of US activists try to patronize troops with this sort of "I understand it's not your fault your a baby killing monster, I forgive you" talk. It bothers me that everything the troops do right is ignored (even by neocons, who are too busy bashing people :roll: ). Both sides treat them as nothing more than political fodder. That is why I no longer get my news from Fox, CNN, NBC, CBS, BBC, or any other major network, because I find them all to have a political agenda, right or left wing depending on the network. I prefer to ask the people who were there.

There are several levels. Alot of Anti-War types have harrassed friends of mine after learning of their background. I believe that Bush can be accused of incompetance, but not that UK, US, or any of the contingients in the coalition can be condemned. Certain individuals aside, their all doing a fine job.

Just my opinion. Rant over.

3. I think it is, and I don't think it's that difficult.

War is a matter of policy, the Armed Forces the tool of it.

Noone dislikes Nurses because the NHS isn't delivering as people expect it to.

I think the vast majority of people can distinguish between the two, but I also think the public suffers a distinct lack of knowledge on exactly what the Armed Forces do and how they go about doing it which can taint their view.

4. What news sources would you recommend Chief?

5. I wouldn't (not here in the US anyway). From what I've read though the Telegraph is decent. :wink:

This is how I see it. Someone does a poll on muslim opinion on such-and-such, and it seems odd to me: I call up my friend Rasheed. He is confused by the result as well. He calls Muhammed, who is also confused.

Report on something that happened in Iraq with US forces seems weird: I e-mail my friend who's there. He says he's baffled by the crap.

Or a report on Immigration: Plenty of immigrants in my hometown. I ask one of the ones I know his take on the issue, and ask someone who isn't an immigrant and compare views.

Granted, I'd ask several people about, not just one (unlike a lot of Journalists)

Rather than get news from the magic box, I'd rather get it at the source.

6. Yes, and totally without any agenda or bias. :p

7. I can strongly recommend Fox News. I've detected a personal pattern of symptoms during viewing.

15 minutes of; This is amazing, what are these people on

15 minutes of; Oh, My God, they are actually serious

15 minutes of; Seething anger, normally resulting in throwing minibar contents at telly

I don't know what happens next, I haven't been able to stand it for longer than 45 minutes at a stretch. Must try harder.

8. Decent, not good :wink:
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. It has the power to steal the souls of mortal men.

9. Can you be Anti-War and Pro-Soldier?

Doesn't it depend on your view of the term "Defence"?

If you take the term literally, then there's no conflict. You can see the Army as a deterrent, thus avoiding war. (Consider the change of title from War Department to Ministry of Defence - a bit PC, but it puts you on the moral high ground).

If you take the term as a direct alternative to "Military", then it's open to ambiguity.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the policy of the government currently in power and what the voters of the nation expect of their Armed Forces. Voters get the government (and the military perception) that they deserve.

Me, I'm a peace-loving killing machine. (Two words in this statement are exaggerated - but which?) ;)

10. I have mentioned before I am not in the forces (have many friends who are), and never desired to be. But.... there was unfinished business from the first Gulf war, unfortunatly the goverments of the time where too scared to offend the arabs and dropped the local population in the sh*t, I supported the current war, I just didnt need the media hyped lies to sell it to me.

Now to the question, I no longer support us (UK) being there (up to the US if they want to stay), the locals dont seem to like us much (view form a distant), so leave them to it now! I have great respect and admiration to our soldiers for a bloody difficult job.

So yes I am fed up with the loss of military life, but support those there in my name wholeheartedly.

Anyhow we now need to sort out the latest half hearted government f*ck up called Afganistan, all seems a little bit too familier?

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Straight answer - Yes.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I'm betting 99.9999% of Army Mums are just that.

13. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

If only the same could be said about 99.9999% of army wives and girlfriends.

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

ouch...

15. This Government is pro-war and anti-soldier interestingly...