Can You Be an Apache Pilot if You Wear Glasses ?

Sorry in advance for any poor grammer.

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if there is a possibility of becoming an Apache pilot, if you wear glasses.

Alternatively I am prepared to get corrective surgery, wether it be LASIK, LASEK or PRK, I'm prepared to do whatever it takes.

I have though long and hard about it and this is what I really want to do with my life, but I can't achieve that if you are not allowed to wear glasses as an Apache pilot.

I have no idea about dioptres, cheers for that though mate.

I'm a little bit annoyed that laser surgery isnt allowed, why not ? If it gets someones vision up to 20/20, then whats the big deal ?
Because it's unreliable, has a reputation for knackering your night vision etc. Suck it up pissy pants

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Because it's unreliable, has a reputation for knackering your night vision etc. Suck it up pissy pants
My missus had laser eye surgery, two years later she became pregnant.

Coincidence? I think not.

I'm a little bit annoyed that laser surgery isnt allowed, why not ? If it gets someones vision up to 20/20, then whats the big deal ?
If you have no idea about dioptres but someone who does says no laser eye surgery for trainee pilots don't you think there might be a very good reason? (p.s. its already given above)

The long term effects of laser surgery have not been researched enough to say that your vision will always be 20/20, or if it might degrade suddenly

And I thought that picture was just some other royal being passed quickly through qualifications

In response to the OP - only if they are Oakleys. Ray Bans are so passe.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dr Eleftheriadis.....? got a name like an eye test chart. Dr Lefty Aldis Lamp.
Aye.

You shouldn't trust a man who's eyebrows don't match his hair.

Just look at Alistair Darling, The Hood and Hermann Goering.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I do pity the poor people who have to look upon his boat race, it being the first thing they see clearly, perhaps for the first time ever, following treatment. I'd wager there have been a few screams.

Or...not in the case of the author. Probably saved her a fatal shock at least.
My missus said that Dr Haribo Ethel Aldis Lamp acted professionally at all times. In all seriousness he's done a banging job, she was blind as **** before the surgery, now she has 20:20 vision.

Funnily enough she recently got a new job as an Apache pilot, I put this entirely down to the fact that she doesn't wear glasses any more, not even Oakleys or RayBans.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
back to the original question.

Of course pilots can wear glasses, indeed it is mandatory I believe as they can't see further than their ego bubble. :)

I would have loved to have been a pilot but my eyesight also let me down. Even worse, the “expenses claim form” I signed after the medical turned out to be a binding contract for a timeshare in Glasgow.

Learn from my experience; If you have an aircrew medical examination don’t smear glue in your eyes just beforehand, avoid addressing Lt Col David Collins as Jennifer and never trust a female pay clerk with a felt-tipped-pen moustache.