Can You Be an Apache Pilot if You Wear Glasses ?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Blank Guy, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry in advance for any poor grammer.

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if there is a possibility of becoming an Apache pilot, if you wear glasses.

Alternatively I am prepared to get corrective surgery, wether it be LASIK, LASEK or PRK, I'm prepared to do whatever it takes.

I have though long and hard about it and this is what I really want to do with my life, but I can't achieve that if you are not allowed to wear glasses as an Apache pilot.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If this fella can do it:

[​IMG]

3. Is that the AAC's new uniform?

4. hmmmmmm....my wah-o-meter is all of a quiver!

5. I've got the same picture of Flashy as you mate. He said he took it just for me.

6. I have no idea about dioptres, cheers for that though mate.

I'm a little bit annoyed that laser surgery isnt allowed, why not ? If it gets someones vision up to 20/20, then whats the big deal ?

7. Because it's unreliable, has a reputation for knackering your night vision etc. Suck it up pissy pants

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Funny the first thing that popped into my head was "so thats what Flashy looks like"

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My missus had laser eye surgery, two years later she became pregnant.

Coincidence? I think not.

10. Is your blood blue? There are different rules :)

11. If you have no idea about dioptres but someone who does says no laser eye surgery for trainee pilots don't you think there might be a very good reason? (p.s. its already given above)

12. The long term effects of laser surgery have not been researched enough to say that your vision will always be 20/20, or if it might degrade suddenly

And I thought that picture was just some other royal being passed quickly through qualifications

13. In response to the OP - only if they are Oakleys. Ray Bans are so passe.

14. Well I guess thats that career fucked then.