Can we Stop PAYD?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by flashman2379, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen this topic before, and i hate to go over old ground. But i'm very worried about the impact PAYD will have on soldiers based in my unit. We have been luckly untill now that we have managed to put PAYD off. That is untill now!

PAYD is due to come into effect in November in my Garrison. Having spoken to young soldiers based in other Garrison towns and spoken to my RCWO, i have not yet met anyone who thinks that it provides the kind of quality and portions that are required. I base this not on knocking the NAAFI ( which use to be a great service) but on the experiances by other soldiers who already use PAYD and the expert job that our own chefs carryout, who have been fully receive breifings and Trg on the new system.

Service providers such as the NAAFI can never please everyone, but wouldn't it be nice to believe that the NAAFI provide a service not for pure profit but for the benefit of others, only the SALLY BASH now provide a cup of tea a smile, and a warm face at the right time and the right place. Please bring them back to our Garrison towns and not push them to one side.

So i return to my question, which i already know the answer to.
    Can we stop PAYD?

2. No,
    I think it is far too late.
    SP

3. Dont think so as Sodhexo have a 35 year deal with the MoD for various "services".

4. I remember in the late 80's, early 90's as a singlie everyone complaining that they never ate in the cookhouse and still had to pay for their food and wanting a pay as you dine system introduced. This means there has been long enough time to introduce a system that should cater for all needs but I have heard nightmare stories of people having to go hungry because they cant manage their money. Unfortunately with the way its going the promise I made like many other recruiters to parents that their little Jonny would have a roof over his head and three meals a day guaranteed is not going to happen.
    A way the system would work would be a swipe card system that when you do eat your meals would automatically come out your wages the following month or even a credit system where it is automatically topped up from our wages when it falls below a certain credit (say falls below £20 it tops up to £50 )from your pay statement.
    Its better than having young soldiers having to go on the naughty register or eat rat packs or beans.

So it could be a good system if sorted ot correctly

5. As The Iron says, lots of lads used to complain about paying for food they didn't eat. This was especially true for shift workers who could bugger off home for 4 or 5 days at the end of the shift cycle. However, the cook Sgt used to say this is what paid for the high quality of food they could provide as they built in the fact that a lot of lads didn't eat in for all meals.
    Great idea about the swipe card. Can just imagine a young Tom in the pub the night before with a couple of quid left in his pocket wondering whether to have another pint or breakfast in the morning. Fraid the pint would probably win.

6. Good points Iron, all if which have been looked at if what we have been told is to be believed. Unfortunately, it was not cost effective when trialled.

I have too heard the horror stories, oddly from a Crab unit that said the mess life died and everyone was eating meals for one from Tescos. The lads cook house was empty, but the local supermarket was making a killing.

To be honest, although we can do nothing about it pre introduction, if you are not happy with the service vote with your feet and do not eat there. It is now a business and the power of the customer will be very much in effect. They need to make money, therefore they need to provide a service that attracts a customer.

With regards to managing money, recruits are apparently being taught budgeting in their training and at the end of the day, we are asked to do more intense things then balance an account each month.

My concern is the quality of food (again Profit comes into play). As long as the meals are balanced and healthy, then I can be happy that the health of my men is not going to be affected.

7. I understand the "Save as you Starve" points that are being made, but what does it say about a soldier, whatever rank they may be, being unable to feed himself due to poor handling of funds. One thread says that a soldier would buy another pint instead of keep money back for a meal.

Surley we are delaing with adult human beings, who, whatever rank they may be, are still paid enough to feed themselves. If there are unable to fulfill this function, which ranks alongside breathing, sleeping and injesting fluids, what does it say about the quality of the man/woman?

8. Cookhouses have always relied on the fact that a large number of people dont turn up for meals. When I were a young soldier in Germany in 1975, a lot of us didn't eat, because the first ones in the queue got the steaks, and the rest got spaghetti and mash. So went down the TocH.

With PAYD - how is the ACC supposed to guess how many meals to prepare ??

9. How many put an entry in the complaints book? Also, don't know if it's been mentioned earlier but what about a coordinated (via ARRSE?) mass boycott of all PAYD facilities? Thsi would surely send out a strong message that all is not well and that the customer is not satisfied - for that's what we are - consuming customers with a variety of legal rights. Start complaining - LOUDLY!!

10. With regard to the quality of the man/woman, I suggest you do some simple research into the reading, sums and writng standards of the average modern recruit - all the product of a Prime Minister who ranted "Education, Education, Education"!!! To save you the bother, the average modern recruit has the academic ability of an 11/12 year old and getting lower! Have a chat with your Education Wing.

11. [/quote]I understand the "Save as you Starve" points that are being made, but what does it say about a soldier, whatever rank they may be, being unable to feed himself due to poor handling of funds. One thread says that a soldier would buy another pint instead of keep money back for a meal.

Surley we are delaing with adult human beings, who, whatever rank they may be, are still paid enough to feed themselves. If there are unable to fulfill this function, which ranks alongside breathing, sleeping and injesting fluids, what does it say about the quality of the man/woman?

12. Got it in one.

The same has been said about accom and the abolotion of 3-4 man rooms in favour of travellodge-esque en-suite rooms.

13. I can still remember being given a lecture by the Catering Officer ( an ACC Captain incidentally) in my first couple of weeks at IJLB (1972, if you must know) during which he asked for questions from the floor, some pimply little herbert (possibly me) chirped up with the time honoured question about paying for meals he didn't eat, despite the DMR being about 10p or something back then. The good captain pointed out the facts of life to him, quality of food, good value for what you're paying, two thirds of an egg per man etc. etc. and that was that. Over the next 24 years I never once had cause to question the wisdom or advantage of the messing arrangements and I am absolutely staggered that PAYD was introduced, presumably because over the years the constant whining from a small number of selfish short -sighted tossers eventually took effect.

Talk about Turkeys voting for Xmas!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

14. Serving in the Galleys of a reputable unit in Plymouth :chef: most of the singlies ticked about paying for the food over the weekend. It took the MasterChef and QM to educate them that money saved over the weekend was used to produce a splendid variety of food on the hotplate. The Main Galley had a cracking variety, more so than the messes did. It goes to show that with PAYD this will not happen any more, and individuals will save £6 over the weekend. Justice to those that moaned about paying £6 :frustrated:

15. I was the rations Colour Sgt many years ago, we needed men not to go for meals to balance the budget. I was always contacting the CSM's to put haversack ration indents in. This helped the master chef in budgeting. I have been out of the Army 9 years. I can honestly say, I was well fed, the chefs provided a service second to none. My son-in-law is a Staffy in Germany he has told me horror stories of hungry skint Soldiers, as a young Tom I would of gone hungry no doubt. What have the Generals allowed to happen, poor kit, PAYD, surely the Men at the top should have the bottle to stand up, and say no more. Every Soldier should be fed, the DMR worked, if it wasn't broke it should of been left alone.